English Youth Ballet, Nottingham

gazelle

Good luck to all the young dancers taking part in EYB's production of 'Swan Lake' this weekend in Nottingham.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the run through on Tuesday and can't wait to see how it looks on stage with all the costumes, set etc.

• Like 5

I'm sure all will enjoy the experience. DD performed in Coppelia in Nottingham and loved it and really wanted to audition again this year, but unfortunately the number of rehersals put me off (we were lucky enough to share lifts before). I bribed her with a couple of summer schools instead - which worked :).

Millie

• Like 1

I totally agree, Amethyst. I thought that everyone in the cast, whatever their part, had their moment to shine and a good amount of time on stage.

My DD really enjoyed being a swan and learnt so much from being part of the 'corps de ballet'. I know I am biased, but I thought the swans looked absolutely beautiful and the dramatic ending had me shaking with emotion!

• Like 2

I just wanted to congratulate everyone who took part in Swan Lake at Nottingham. I watched both performances on Saturday and was overwhelmed by the quality of the dancers. My daughter was a cygnet and had the best time ever. She has now gone into mourning as it's all over and especially now that she knows that the nearest location for EYB next year is York which unfortunately is too far for us to travel.

• Like 1

If you think it is too far, take a deep breath and consider if it would be possible to have a family holiday during the main rehearsal period and try to make it work? EYB is so very special it is definately worth it. This is what we used to do and my DD's last one was in Yeovil with us living in Worcester! So have a think!!

• Like 2

Just checked EYB website - loads more audition dates for 2013

That looks like the full programme for the year then. Nothing suitable for us this time unfortunately :(. Fingers crossed that 2014 brings something do-able. Best of luck to anyone auditioning for any of the 2013 dates.

• Like 1

It'll be Wimbledon for us, dd v excited about the prospect of doing the Nutcracker. She'll be in the senior age group by then, how does it compare with the junior? I imagine she'll be gr 5 by then, are the steps v hard?

There were a couple of steps at the January audition that my dd had never done (she was halfway through G6 and had just started Inter) BUT don't panic because Dominic does demonstrate them. You'll know from Junior auditions that EYB like people to have a go and try the new steps with enthusiasm. I was surprised at the technical level of the Senior audition but with children from 12 to 18 it must be difficult aiming at all of them. My dd just watched Dominic carefully and didn't panic! :-)

I'm sure your dd will be fine because she's auditioned before and won't be intimidated by the newness of it all. x

Never mind pups they are due back to Newcastle in 2014 :P :P

We are going to miss EYB having done Giselle, Coppelia and Swan Lake... Never say never maybe one day :wub:

Cx

Unfortunately 2014 is DD's GCSE year so I am desperately hoping that the Newcastle visit doesn't clash with her exams. it would be a lovely thing to do after the exams but I'm not so sure it would be good for her to do it before. (Well I'd probably let her to be honest but I think my husband will take some persuading!)

• Like 1

So difficult, isn't it? I hope that if and when EYB comes back to Aylesbury it's a summer rehearsal period again, as opposed to weekends and October half term, as last time dd had to miss 4 Associate Classes. Plus she's ill every November or December.

All we can do is to keep fingers crossed! :-)

hi everyone, i am new to this forum having been reading your lovely posts for a while!! i auditioned for EYB Wolverhampton but didnt get in (possibly due to a last-minute application which meant I was right at the back!!) Can anyone give me any info about the Oxford auditions please? How many usually audition there? thanks :)

Hi Swanprincess - the number you are given at the audition depends on what time you turn up at the venue! If you get there early you will get one of the lower numbers.

Usually they get about 100 for each of the junior and senior auditions, although I think it varies depending on location.

From what I remember about dd's Senior Audition, it was busy with over 100 dancers on stage, but it was fair because even if you started at the back, everyone had the chance to be at the front because they rotated the front line to the back after each exercise. Plus the sequences were done in small groups. Certainly I felt that everyone got looked at. Was it done differently at Wolverhampton?

Rehearsals started for Sleeping Beauty today; 107 dancers so quite busy but dd had a lovely day. :-)