Kizzy Matiakis promoted to principal at the RDB

Kizzy Matiakis made her debut as Odette/Odile in Copenhagen last night and afterwards was promoted to principal dancer - a very emotional occasion for her, I'd guess, especially as she's only 5 years from retirement and the RDB has never promoted anyone this late before.There's a little  film on the theatre's Facebook page

She was trained originally by Leo Kersley (wouldn't he have been proud of her!) and then at Central School.

• Like 5

I was yesterday present at "Swan lake " performance and was charmed by Kizzy Matiakis interpretation of especially Odette. Great musicality with a lot of attention to the small detailes, lightness and precision - that was my impression from her dance! She and her partner, truly prince, Gregory Dean, showed a perfect partnership and understanding.

When Kizzy's on the scene, one can be sure to watch a complete involvement in the role and creation a veritable image. Well done, Kizzy! Congratulations!

Last year I witnessed the performance of Kizzy Matiakis and Jon Axel Fransson in the pdd from "Cacti" of Alexander Eckman at the summer concert of the Royal Danish ballet in Kolding (open air free of charge concert), here's my very amateur video to give an idea about her performance:

• Like 1

I am a big fan of this dancer and am thrilled to hear this news.  In classical roles (I've seen her Nutcracker) she is the perfect exponent of the classic 'English' style.  She has also proved a wonderful interpreter of the Bournonville style too and has mastered the art of dancing silently, a speciality of the Danes.

This promotion should convince the parents posting here that it is NOT the end of the world to train other than at RBS.

• Like 5