Australian Ballet cinema broadcasts discussion thread

Well, for anyone just back from the AB cinema broadcasts, here's your chance to discuss it.  I wondered how Sleeping Beauty was going to come in at 2 1/2 hours - significant cuts to Acts II and III is the answer.

The credits rolled through so quickly that I couldn't spot who all the dancers were, and there were no casts sheets: can anyone tell me who were Bluebird and Florine?  I can probably guess if I go and haul this summer's programme out.  And I'm guessing the fairy of musicality would have been the canary one?

Alison, I'm fairly certain Florine and the Bluebird were Ako Kondo and Chengw Guo as I found some photos of them in the roles. There is a full review of the production, with lots of photos, which appears to be the same cast as in the broadcast (link below)

https://simonparrismaninchair.com/2015/09/16/the-australian-ballet-the-sleeping-beauty-review/

I enjoyed the ballet but found some of the choreographic changes a little disconcerting, however David McAllister did try to clarify some parts of the story, e.g. Catalabutte deliberately not inviting Carabosse. He also gave more dancing to the princes in Act 1 and to the Lilac Fairy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There were about 50 people watching Cinderella in Dudley last night. There are usually less than 10 when the Bolshoi are on. Maybe people don't like to go out on Sunday evenings. I am genuinely surprised that there was so many people there. It wasn't live and it's not the best known of scores (personally I think it is a much better score than R&J).

• Like 1

Only about 12 people watching Cinderella in Covent Garden. I thought it was delightful - a bit mad, but I like that they picked the surrealist angle to complement Profokiev's score, which I've always been a fan of.

Edited by Tatiana