Ballet at the Olympics Closing Ceremony - Darcey Bussell announcement

TBH I'd guessed she'd be taking part, knowing that there are a load of ballet dancers doing a routine en pointe

Julie, where did you get that bit of information? All I saw, both in the original article and in this re-hash of it, was that she'd be dancing with four men.

BankruptMum, if you look carefully, Jonathan Cope is actually holding her under both thighs in that picture :) (although I don't remember ever seeing Darcey doing an oversplit, now you come to mention it).

Oh, and am I imagining it, or did we have some information about dance in the Opening Ceremony, too? If so, perhaps we could put them all together in the same thread.

The ballet dancers can't be that young Julie. There was a recent scandal whereby several dance schools around Northampton were conned by an ex-ENB dancer into putting forward children into rehearsals for the Olympic closing ceremony. Apparently it was uncovered when somebody rang the Olympic organisers and were told that none of the performers are under 18.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2139891/London-2012-Olympics-Stephen-Moonesamy-quizzed-police.html

The age limit for the ballet specific audition for the olympics was set at 16 at the date of audition with the rider that a chaperone would be guaranteed at rehearsals. My DD who is taking part is 16 as are a handful of other dancers who got through the audition. The arrangements are specific to this group.

The unfortunate thing with regards the scam in Northamptonshire is that some of the dancers involved could have been eligable and legitimately auditioned to perhaps gain ballet places through the official channels given by LOCOG.

Edited by Elliepops

• 4 weeks later...

The ENB's swans are preparing to dance a version of their Swan Lake Act IV on 2 August at the O2. Something to do with the Gymnastics, apparently. Also, Wayne Eagling has choreographed a special piece to be danced at the Fencing this coming week.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is that when the flame of the cauldron is extinguished Darcey will rise like a phoenix from the ashes. Time will tell if I am right, but the producer of the show spoke today of producing a special effect with a special artist.

I think the 4 men with DB were Cope, Avis, Watson and the one I couldn't get I see was Kish. As for prima ballerina - sorry not on this occasion any acrobat/dancer could have done that routine which was totally lacking in dance. What a wasted opportunity. Who on earth choreographed the piece it was not the best of British dance by a long way :-(