Advice on stage make-up (for an 8yo)

Confuddled

I've just had instructions that my daughter needs to wear foundation, mascara and eye underliner for a show. I'm OK with it in principle (given theatre lighting etc) but I don't wear make-up and I'm not even sure what eye underliner is and what I should do with it.

Can anyone recommend some suitable products and maybe a YouTube video or something on what to do with them? It's just for three shows, so I don't want to spend tons of money, but she does have sensitive skin so it probably needs to be fairly gentle / hypoallergenic.

We have this starter pack of stage make up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NG1NT94/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also comes with an instruction booklet which we didn't need but if you PM me your email address I could scan the relevant pages for you. The make up has been really good as well. In future we can just top it up as needed.

• Like 1

Do they mean eyeliner?

I'm surprised that an 8 year old needs foundation as they usually have a pretty even skin tone. Eye shadow & mascara is a must as is lipstick. For ballet its best to stick to natural colours. A light creamy beige as a base them a brown colour for the lid.

Eyeliner is very difficult to apply on children. I never used to bother on dd until she mastered it herself.

A rose coloured blush applied to the apple of the cheek them lipstick colour depends on teacher preference.

When dd was little her ballet teacher asked for a rose coloured lipstick. Now she's older it's more of a red but a more muted shade for ballet.

Edited to correct auto corrects.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 3

I agree with picturesinthe firelight. 

Is the show ballet focused or modern more Musical theatre. The latter tends to be stronger ballet is more muted. 

Either way for just 3 shows but maybe the start of things to come. 

Pop into your local chemist, don't go mad. A powder or liquid foundation in similar skin tone, a small rose coloured blush, subtle blue tends to be used for the younger age then browns and a tad of mascara, eye liner at a push but good luck on application! 

A small compact powder just to 'set' and hide the shine of the makeup.  Some makeup no matter how subtle is better than none due to the stage lights.  Have a chat with other mums in the class if there are to be group dancers. It is really best that all the performers in a group have similar if not the same makeup. 

Ps Foundation can be shared if liquid and applied with fingers (easier for hygiene) or small sponges that can be washed. This spreads the cost. 

Good Luck, your DD will be so excited, if you take care of these products you will have them for next time.

Pictures, they are providing lipstick, blusher and eyeshadow (so that the colours match), so this is just for base. I agree, her skin tone is lovely and even so foundation does seem unnecessary. Maybe I could get away without it? But I'd still need mascara and eye underliner (I assume that means eye liner). I can't put mascara on myself without poking myself in the eye, so I've no idea how to do it on her. She has very dark, long lashes anyway, so I don't think it'll add much.

DancingShoes, that would be wonderful, if you could send me the pages on eye make-up and foundation. I'll pm you. Thanks!

I agree with picturesinthe firelight. 

Is the show ballet focused or modern more Musical theatre. The latter tends to be stronger ballet is more muted. 

Either way for just 3 shows but maybe the start of things to come. 

Pop into your local chemist, don't go mad. A powder or liquid foundation in similar skin tone, a small rose coloured blush, subtle blue tends to be used for the younger age then browns and a tad of mascara, eye liner at a push but good luck on application! 

A small compact powder just to 'set' and hide the shine of the makeup.  Some makeup no matter how subtle is better than none due to the stage lights.  Have a chat with other mums in the class if there are to be group dancers. It is really best that all the performers in a group have similar if not the same makeup. 

Ps Foundation can be shared if liquid and applied with fingers (easier for hygiene) or small sponges that can be washed. This spreads the cost. 

Good Luck, your DD will be so excited, if you take care of these products you will have them for next time.

It's a ballet show, with a bit of modern. So it sounds like I should take her to Boots and find a basic liquid foundation and a sponge, a cheap eyeliner and see if we can manage it and maybe see if I can get a sample size of mascara as I think she's got such dark, thick lashes it's probably not going to add much. Something like that?

• Like 3

You'll be surprised how much mascara can make a difference.

Id be tempted for a young child to try a tinted moisturiser but apply it with a brush or songs not with fingers for a better effect.

OK, that's actually what I use when I wear make up (which isn't very often). Thanks for your help, I'm pulling together a little shopping list for a trip to Boots.

• Like 1

I would also resist the temptation to use boots natural collection make up as although it's fab for just starting out experimentation it's not very highly pigmented & doesn't last!

The lady in my local boots no 7 counter had a dancing dsughter & gave us loads of advice but since then they've changed the colours & I'm not totally enamoured with the new ones. Dd still uses the foundation though.

She has a lovely Bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser for everyday wear now but it was a treat/present as it's fairly expensive.

Rimmell is nice & if you do want highly pigmented but cheap make up Superdrugs MUA is brilliant.

Dd has very very sensitive skin & has been fine with all adult brands. It's face paint she struggles with.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that an 8 year old needs foundation as they usually have a pretty even skin tone. Eye shadow & mascara is a must as is lipstick. For ballet its best to stick to natural colours. A light creamy beige as a base them a brown colour for the lid.

If it's going to be under strong stage lighting then even skin tone or not, a beige base is generally necessary on stage, especially if she is pale.

• Like 3

Why don't you try the No7 skin tone matching service for foundation?

I'm rubbish with make up. Instead of eyeliner I've used facepaint applied with a very thin brush on the upper lid only with a slight upward flourish at the corner. I can't get eyeliner pencil to work!! Have found mascara ok.

Our dance school did a make up video and I'll try to find it and post a link. I'll also add a list of products I've found helpful.

Good luck!

Edited by sarahw

My DD uses a panstik for foundation as we found the tubes of foundation were hard to get an even coverage! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Factor-Pan-Stik-Foundation/dp/B001GNBVSU/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1473678904&sr=1-1&keywords=medium+pan+stick

then just whatever cheap eyeliner/mascara  we find when we go shopping, as she seems to lose these! 

We also have a 'pressed powder' thing that I brush over the foundation if it looks too dark, and also a bronzing one, if the lights are harsh.

DD ( now 11 ) tends to do all her own makeup. ( YAY! )

We use a compact type thing of foundation & powder in one- really easy to apply with the sponge provided, and no risk of spillages or leakage etc. Nice even (and not too heavy either) coverage.

You can get great eyeliner 'pens' that are basically like a make up sharpie...... Much easier to apply on an excited youngster than the crayon/pencil type, or liquid eyeliner. ( far too scary!!)

Superdrug are great, they often have '3for2' offers on etc, and you can usually mix and match brands. Mascaras can be expensive, but you probably don't need 'lengthening/volumising etc yet..... Samples csn be free!

It does get much easier when they can do it themselves, have a few practices before the pressure of the actual day, and let your dd have a go herself too....she may surprise you!???? Failing that, ask a more competent mum!!

My advice would be to take your DD with you to a Boots store and ask. The lady at our local Boots talked us through products and how to apply them and did DDs face for her to show her how to apply the products too.  Certainly good for the foundation . we then bought a cheaper mascara and eyeliner from MUA at superdrug.

If you want to be really cheep, try the high end cosmetic counters Estée Lauder, YSL etc they shade match and give out a week sample - enough to do a few shows.

Non dancing daughter loves high end make up and spends her life loitering around the counters and gets lots of samples (she does spend quite a lot for a 13 year old too) but staff have always been great with her.

We use the pans tick (max factor) foundation applied with damp sponge. We use Rimmel clear complexion clarifying powder (with natural minerals apparently! !) £3.99 Boots. Over the top to set everything. Eyeliner is black snazaroo facepaint applied with a very thin damp brush top lid only with 'tick' at corner. From www.showmakeup.com brush £2.40 facepaint £3.90. Any mascara but go for waterproof.

I would ask one of the other mums to do it the 1st time. My hands were shaking so much at 1st festival as well as being bad at make-up!!

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

Grimas stage face paint make up is very good, it's water based so perfect for children.

When my Dd did a show at her dance school they required them to wear foundations blue eyeshadow, mascara, blusher and lipstick.

I bought her a foundation from rimmel, set with consilk powder borrowed from myself, rimmel was the cheapest brand I could find pale enough for her skin. Had to search everywhere for a true Brown mascara, as Brown black looked very over the top on her found a really good cheap one in super drug (i think collection) also a cheap blue eyeshadow. We didn't spend a lot as she really dislikes wearing make-up. She looks drastically different with it on as she's so fair,she looks very made up with mascara on she wouldn't wear lipstick so we settled for lip gloss, none of it came off on stage though I think you can buy a product to set make up.

I don't think we spent more than 10 pounds, but the make up only was used once, I think if she liked make up I would have spent a little more maybe gone to the Mac counter and treated her, we have a fantastic shop near us that sells all the professional stage make up, but I think she's a bit young for that as it's very oily and she has sensitive skin excema also, I don't think it's recommended for children's skin,

I love the idea of using facepaint as eyeliner, I don't like the kohl pencils and liquid eyeliner could look a bit harsh on a fair skinned child.

Edited by Snowflake

Confuddled, 

Have you also considered how you will remove the makeup?

Wet wipes are popular and convenient, but all are drying on the skin and the cheaper you go the more harsh the chemicals are used more likely to cause a skin reaction.

The shake and mix type like Nivea Micllear (sorry for the spelling) but any brand is good and used with cotton wool pads. One pad soaked in the liquid held for a second or two over the eye tends to dissolve the makeup with very little wipe action. Thus reducing any risk of damaging the fragile skin underneath.

Just ensure you have buy a remover before you get home after a performance and then discover its the one item you forgot to buy at 11pm!!!

We've probably all been there.    

• Like 1

Confuddled, 

Have you also considered how you will remove the makeup?

Wet wipes are popular and convenient, but all are drying on the skin and the cheaper you go the more harsh the chemicals are used more likely to cause a skin reaction.

The shake and mix type like Nivea Micllear (sorry for the spelling) but any brand is good and used with cotton wool pads. One pad soaked in the liquid held for a second or two over the eye tends to dissolve the makeup with very little wipe action. Thus reducing any risk of damaging the fragile skin underneath.

Just ensure you have buy a remover before you get home after a performance and then discover its the one item you forgot to buy at 11pm!!!

We've probably all been there.

I was going to use sensitive wipes, but that sounds like a better plan, thanks!

• Like 1

Older students in the school are often excellent sources of help when it comes to this sort of thing too. When my DD was little she used to wriggle dreadfully when I was trying to do her hair and make up but would sit patiently for any of the "big girls" who would help! A quick look in their make up boxes will give you good clues too.

Older students in the school are often excellent sources of help when it comes to this sort of thing too. When my DD was little she used to wriggle dreadfully when I was trying to do her hair and make up but would sit patiently for any of the "big girls" who would help! A quick look in their make up boxes will give you good clues too.

Now there's a thought, post her in with my best effort and a 'ask [big girl who she admires hugely and is lovely to her] whether your make-up is OK'. That could work well. Thanks!

• Like 1

For shows, the school + experienced CRB [have forgotten the new name]-checked mums do makeup on the younger ones, and the older ones do their own / each others.

However, for festivals, before each festival, an experienced mum of an older child or one who has been doing festivals for ages always runs a session in which any new mums-and-children can come along and learn what to do and what to get, have a try on their own child etc - both for makeup and hair styles. For the older ones, if it happens that lots of new students are joining festival groups who are of an age to at least start doing their own hair and makeup, there might well be a similar session but for the students themselves, led by one of the 18 year olds or someone who has recently left.

I have never worn makeup, and am highly allergic myself to much that is on the market, so when DD was small I had to buy brands that I wouldn't react to when applying, as ending up with grotesquely-swollen hands in mid-festival isn't very helpful. She's been doing her own for years now - she's 13 - and so has a slightly wider choice these days. Rimmel is good 'stage' makeup, IME - highly pigmented but goes on smoothly for quick changes after e.g. removal of facepaint.

My advice after years of doing festivals from the age of 6 upwards, is to put as little as possible on her.  No need for foundation, moisturise and use a light powder to remove shine, it's better than full foundation.  Concentrate on making eyes cheeks and lips stand out, but if ballet, be natural.  Avoid bright blue eyeshadow at all costs.  It seems to be a festival tradition but looks garish and unnatural.  Finally, take plenty of micellar water and cotton pads.  Kids wriggle an awful lot, and if she is anything like my DD your daughter will want to remove the make up the minute she comes off stage.

Plus points for me - the fact that she wore makeup for festivals from such a young age meant that as a teen she wasn't interested until 15, so I missed that awful teenage (usually poorly applied) makeup thing that girls go through about 13 years old.

• Like 2

Plus points for me - the fact that she wore makeup for festivals from such a young age meant that as a teen she wasn't interested until 15, so I missed that awful teenage (usually poorly applied) makeup thing that girls go through about 13 years old.

This doesn't seem to happen so much nowadays. It seems that most of them spend so many hours watching YouTube tutorials that they can generally apply it better than their mothers!