Russian Ballet Method

balletbean

Terminology between the 2 methods is different. (Quick example, 5th position of the arms RAD is called 3rd in Vaganova - but there are lots of other examples) However in my opinion a competent ballet student would get the hang of it very quickly. Barre exercises in Vaganova technique tend to be much slower, controlled and simplified compared to RAD.

I think that Vocational schools in the UK use a variety of teaching methods, but as someone who has trained and taught as a student and teacher in both methods (amongst others) I would say that the RAD syllabus is not as demanding on the body as Vaganova. However, as I mentioned I don't think that any vocational school uses purely the 'RAD method' . 

This of course is only my opinion. I'm sure that others on the forum will chip in with excellent advice. :)

• Like 2

Hello ballet bean and welcome to the Forum. We've had, over the past couple of years, a number of threads about Russian style, often about specific schools. It is worth using our search facility.

Here is one past thread to start you off:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/9794-london-russian-ballet-school-vocational-upper-school/?fromsearch=1

• Like 6

Also worth keeping in mind that Russian ballet method is a little different when taught in Russia than when taught in other countries- not the pedagogy but certainly the stamina and strength required (my DS had 4 years in a Vaganova school in the USA taught by Russian teachers who graduated from the Vaganova in St Petersburg- he still found the classes in St P markedly more strenuous). Having witnessed a class there I can honestly say I've never seen work so intensive and unrelenting. 

If you are interested in seeing what it looks like there is quite a lot of footage on youtube of exam classes for both the Bolshoi and the Vaganova. If you are looking at post 16 you would need to look at levels 6 or 7.

• Like 2

My daughter has just graduated from the Bolshoi Ballet Academy in Moscow. She had previously taken RAD exams amongst others but did not have a problem adapting to Russian style training. If you would like an insight into Russian training at the Bolshoi, my daughter has written a blog documenting her four, intensive years of training. There's lots of information on there, with specific insights into all aspects of her training. You can find the blog at the following link:

https://talaleeturton.wordpress.com/

• Like 6

I think you also need to beat in mind that Russian method can mean many things & you need to investigate exactly who is running the school, are they accountable to anyone & does your child have the right facility or is turn out going to be forced.

I'm fairly sure that wouldn't happen somewhere like the bolshoi itself where students are carefully elected for their facility but may at less scrupulous institutions.

• Like 2

Balanchine famously said "There are only two types of dance, good and bad". This also applies to vocational schools, it is more how they are run and the quality of teaching that is important. A talented pupil will adapt to different methodology, although in many ways it gets more similar at higher levels. Most professional companies end up being international mix! RAD is an exam board not really a training method.  Check out ARBTA (Association of Russian Ballet Schools and Theatre Arts) - many of the best Russian schools in UK teaching the Vaganova method are members.

Edited to add last sentence.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 3

What Pas de Quatre says. People can get hung up on the exam syllabi, rather than the fact that good ballet training is good ballet training.

That said, what I've observed of the Vaganova syllabus (member of my family studied it in her pre-pro training) is what others have said: it's both simpler in terms of the exercise combinations/choreography, and far tougher and more exacting in that simplicity. You know the way that if you're at an advanced level, a beginner's class can be very very difficult because you're trying to do the basic stuff perfectly? That.

But we need to remember that the Vaganova system for example, was developed to train children from the age of 9/10 who have been selected for their bodies & basic physical facility for ballet. And students are still selected this way. I think the nearest to this in the UK is the RBS. And they don't follow an exam board curriculum either!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3

I understand we are talking here about post 16 Vocational ballet training - in that case the dancer needs a body that can be trained.  "Russian Method" is a bit general as there have been many famous Russian teachers, Vaganova is the best known, and it is her methodology that is widely used, but also there are Tarasov and Legat from 20th century.

Also worth bearing in mind that established schools who created their own syllabi sometimes base the syllabus on a Russian method. If I recall correctly I think the ballet syllabus at Central stems from Vaganova.

The most important thing is to remember that even at 16/18+ courses they are - or should be - offering at least 2 years of technique training, often 3, even if the third year is spent performing and auditioning. So providing a student ticks all the boxes in terms of vocab, basic technique, physique, strength, musicality, natural turnout, then the school isn't looking for a finished dancer; they are still looking for potential to be trained in their particular system. So even if you have spent your whole life dancing RAD, it shouldn't preclude you from getting into a school where the system is based on Vaganova/Legat/Cecchetti.

What's more important is the school's ethos, pastoral care, good faculty (ideally qualified to teach; a wonderful dancer is not always a wonderful teacher), safety policies, injury prevention/rehab staff/classes, nutrition policy, communication with parents, graduate employment, inspection reports, accommodation etc. :)

• Like 6

Thank you. 

The reason for quoting "Russian Ballet Method" is that is what clearly is stated of what is taught at the LRBS. Nothing more was added. Trying to complete research on as many schools at possible, before any decisions are made.   :wacko: Getting very confused and overwhelmed by it all. 

• Like 1

In the search box (top right), try typing the phrase "London Russian Ballet School" (use the speech marks). When you press "return", or click on the little green magnifying glass, a list of threads about (or containing the phrase) London Russian Ballet School will come up.

• Like 1

The thread linked to earlier by Janet has some interesting information about LRBS.

They are completely independent & unlike most private schools because they are solely post 16 for full time education they choose not to be part of any accreditation or inspection process (which is their prerogative)

The department of education have confirmed that although they offer A level education alongside vocational training they are not accountable to any UK education body.

• Like 2