Shiori Kase new Principal Dancer at ENB

A video of the actual moment of promotion has been posted on Facebook.  It's possible that you need to be logged in to Facebook to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/alain.pepin/videos/10209371591622997/?hc_location=ufi#

This promotion is SO well deserved. A comment has been posted on Dansomanie by Lopatkino. Although it is in French, it is so well put that I will paste it in here:

"J'ai eu le coup de cœur pour elle : une technique extrêmement sûre, une grâce naturelle, et il y a dans sa façon de bouger un doux lyrisme, une délicatesse sans mièvrerie et une très grande musicalité. En plus, elle est une excellente interprète."

I won't attempt to give a literal translation but here is a very rough one. S/he is saying that Shiori has solid technique, natural grace and that the way she moves is softly lyrical, delicate without resorting to sentimentality and profoundly musical.  

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 9

Thanks, Bluebird: you've saved me a trip to the dictionary to look up "mièvrerie" :)

Unfortunately it's a word that doesn't have a direct English equivalent.  Maybe a native French speaker might be able to come up with a better translation than 'sentimentality'?

Edited by Bluebird

Unfortunately it's a word that doesn't have a direct English equivalent.  Maybe a native French speaker might be able to come up with a better translation than 'sentimentality'?

Not a native French speaker but I think "affectation" is closer than "sentimentality". In fact "mimsiness" is probably c!oser still.

I am fluent but not a native speaker either and I've had it drummed into my head to always look up words with which I am not familiar  in French rather than resort to English so I did and  affectation and recherché  are synonyms of mièvrerie.  

So its a natural delicateness in her movement which does not come across as rehearsed or affected.... In my mind it also conjured up as picture of "sweetness".... so not too sweet or soppy.  Interestingly enough sucré  is a synonym for mièvre as is affecté of course.

I find the use of mièvrerie a bit strange though ...a bit affecté

Edited by Jamdancer
  • Like 1