Elmhurst Summer School

balletpassion1

Based on 2015 experience, the senior SS is action packed and has a varied content. Did not hear a word from dd all week as she was 'too busy' to get in touch. There are organised activities in the evening as well as the daily classes. The involvement of BRB is simply fabulous and really brings ballet to life. Students come from a number of different countries and as far as we could tell there was a nice mix of vocational and non-vocational students. Classes included a variety of dance genres plus mime and singing. Dd thought the level was stretching but good (she's Adv 1), she did find the supported adage a bit tricky as absolutely no experience of dancing with a boy before. Hard to fault it really.

I also went last year aged 14 but didn't find IT so enjoyable. By all means the classes were good, fairly hard as I was only intermediate but there didn't seem a huge gap between me and other Adv 1 girls. I found pointe really tricky (hadn't done a whole lot before) so pirouettes and a ménage of poses were a challenge! The bit I didn't enjoy so much was the social side, especially in the first few day as I knew no one else there and was in a room with a Japanese girl who didn't speak much English. There were definately cliques of royal associates etc but after a few days I'd made friends who Im still in touch with this year!

• Like 1

My DD is going to the junior session for the second year in a row.  Apart from home-sickness at bedtime last year, she absolutely loved it and wished it had lasted longer than the 3 days.  As we left last year she was desperate to go again and was lucky enough to be offered a place again this year (she's Year 7, 12 in late June).

Indeed she is! Lucky enough to get 3rd year running and can't wait. Balletpassion1 there are quite a number of old threads about Elmhurst summer school on the forum which hopefully will give you a broader perspective.