Johan Kobborg no longer with ONB Romania

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, what sad news.  (Sadly I can't seen any notification on the Facebook page listed as I'm not a Facebook friend of Mr. Kobborg but I can see his notation on Twitter where he remarks that his 'name has been removed as artistic director'..)  Without hesitation I very much enjoyed the performances I saw with the Romanian National Ballet under his regime.  He was doing such a splendid job - at least from this audience member's perspective - and that's all, of course, I have to go on.  He says he hopes to be able to 'return'.  Given the work I saw I do hope so too.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I wonder if Alina knew? She just tweeted about arriving in Stuttgart to dance Manon I think. I thought she would be with him! On Twitter he puts that he finds his name removed, which implies he has Been pushed out.

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 1

Yes I just saw his tweet, I wonder why?  This is so sad the company was doing so well.  Hope we get some background to this. So sad.

Edit: Kobborg's Twitter account is here: https://twitter.com/kobborg - I don't know how to get at his exact tweet from this computer.

Edited by alison
to add link to Kobborg's Twitter account
  • Like 3

I'd be very interested to know what has gone on behind the scenes, because from an artistic point of view no-one could have done more for the company:  he has pulled it up by its pointe-shoe ribbons, improved its technical standards, expanded its repertory to include some wonderful ballets, had Alina obtaining pointe shoes for them from ENB and others, and has managed to get many illustrious international dancers to guest or join the company.  I can't think of how he can be faulted from that point of view.  Something else must have happened to cause this sudden and sad turn of events.

• Like 14

I wonder if Alina knew? She just tweeted about arriving in Stuttgart to dance Manon I think. I thought she would be with him! On Twitter he puts that he finds his name removed, which implies he has Been pushed out.

Cojocaru tweeted early morning and this seems a very sudden announcement. She is in Stuttgart to rehearse with Vogel: they are supposed (and I hope this is confirmed) to dance Manon in Bucharest on Sunday.

Manon with Cojocaru and Vogel in Bucharest, every company would die for this...maybe it's too much for the new general director?

I hope it's a momentary situation that can resolve to the best. I mean, it can happen in country as mine and as Romania :wacko: ...fingers crossed

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 4

As incomprehensible as his departure from the Royal Ballet? He has so much to offer - it would be good to see him back in this country is some role. Also Ms Cojocaru has said in the past that where he goes she will follow. Hopefully this might mean we see more, not less of her.

Is it too much to hope that Mr O'Hare is picking up the phone to check out the possibilities! 

• Like 3

I got the impression that Johan left because he was not selected to take the reigns when Monica retired, so anything less than that would not be of interest to him. I do not know this as a fact, but my feelings.

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 1

I got the impression that Johan left because he was not selected to take the reigns when Monica retired, so anything less than that would not be of interest to him. I do not know this as a fact, but my feelings.

? As far as I know he didn't even apply for that position... Rojo did.

Can we stop the suppositions as to why JK left RB, please.  We've locked threads because of that before and I don't want to have to do it to this thread too.

I agree. My only interest is in whether this might be an opportunity for the Royal Ballet to re-build bridges - perhaps with an invitation to revive his production of La Sylphide?

• Like 1

I agree. My only interest is in whether this might be an opportunity for the Royal Ballet to re-build bridges - perhaps with an invitation to revive his production of La Sylphide?

I hope he will remain in Bucharest and his position there should be the topic of this thread. :)

Anyway, there are many bridges on rivers: ONB danced The Dream with sets and costumes (but not the wigs :D) of the Royal Ballet (and Jeanetta Laurence was in the audience)

Edited by annamicro
  • Like 4

I have hidden a posting as, despite my express request above, it includes supposition as to why Kobborg left the Royal Ballet.  The Mods will discuss this but we have been very clear (including by locking other threads) that we will not accept such supposition on this site.

• Like 3

I saw Stefan Herheim's dreadful production of Sicilian Vespers - the final choreography was ludicrous. That must have been the final insult. The tragedy was that Mr Kobborg was developing an interest and ability in choreography which seemed to be stopped dead in its tracks. Of course his achievements as AD in Budapest have been remarkable. I don't know whether he has found time to continue to develop his choreographic skills in that post but if he were to re-focus wholly on choreography at some stage I for one would not be unhappy. I would just make the point that the Royal Ballet has a considerable history regarding dancers who turn their skills to artistic administration before moving on to become world class choreographers. And Mr O'Hare is making aspiring choreographers a priority!

Whatever happens next in Budapest, it does seem that his tenure there has turned sour. I would like him to know that he is warmly remembered back here and would be welcomed with open arms if he chose to return.   

• Like 2

Alina Cojocaru is in Munich, where she will be dancing Neumeier's Lady of the Camellias tomorrow, stepping in for Lucia Lacarra.

It's what she actually wrote (she wrote "helping")...this "stop" happened on her way to Stuttgart. Nothing was on Munich website when I checked it. What a treat for Munich: she is fantastic in the role (of course I hope the wonderful Lacarra is well and it's just a short stop).

• Like 1

In view of his considerable achievements with the company, this must be a political and not an artistic decision.  Like as at the Bolshoi, contracts don't seem to matter in Eastern Europe - I suspect it's a case of "Sorry but the board and I have decided we don't like the colour of your eyes".

I doubt he'll be out of work for long - surely many other companies in the world would be delighted to snap him up.  I certainly hope so for both his and Alina's sake.

Linda

Ed. for clarity.

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 5

In view of his considerable achievements with the company, this must be a political and not an artistic decision.  Like as at the Bolshoi, contracts don't seem to matter in Eastern Europe - I suspect it's a case of "Sorry but the board and I have decided we don't like the colour of your eyes".

I doubt he'll be out of work for long - surely many other companies in the world would be delighted to snap him up.  I certainly hope so for both his and Alina's sake.

Linda

Ed. for clarity.

I agree with you! Although I find that these problems are specific to the world of ballet and theater in general, though perhaps in some places in less dramatic ways than others...

I do hope we get some further info in due course, but in the meantime until we hear (if we hear) I want to wish Johann well for his future and also the dancers he leaves behind at Bucharest, not least Dawid Trezensimiech  who is a particular favourite of mine.

• Like 3

I read a post that Emma Kauldhar had put on FB, as a result of which I looked at the ONB website.

Goodness only knows what is going on but Johan Kobborg is now shown as being an "Artist of the Company" - i.e. he is being listed as a member of the corps!!!

http://www.operanb.ro/en/onb/artisti/ansamblu

I do hope that this dreadful mischance is sorted out for Mr Kobborg.

This sounds amazingly shortsighted and somewhat jingoistic. If I ever want a masterclass on how to wipe out years of sterling work, I'd ring a certain culture minister

Edited by Coated
  • Like 5