Favourite ballerinas

Hi again!

I thought it would be nice to list your favourite ballerinas (especially those whom you have seen perform live).

So let me begin:

Of those whom I've seen live:

1. Lopatkina

2. Osipova

3. Somova

4. Semionova

5. Obraztsova

6. Skoryk

Those who I am desperate to see but haven't seen live on stage yet:

1. Zakharova (btw, someone on another thread mentioned her political connections which make her 'untouchable' -- can anyone explain this to me?)

2. Diana Vishneva

Those whom I wish I had seen  when i was able (i.e. they performed in my adult lifetime although I was not into ballet at the time)

1. Agnes Letestu

2. Cojacuru

Those whom I wish I was old enough to have seen in their peak!

1 Maya Plisetskaya

2 Sylvie Guilleme

3 Altynai Asylmuratova

:)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fonteyn, Makarova, Ananaishvili, Bessmertnova, Evdokimova, Sibley, Park, Collier, Tait, Yoshida, Samsova, Haydee, Guillem, Donovan, Muller, Vallo, Gittens.

I would have included Seymour but I really didn't see enough of her. I only saw Fonteyn twice but those memories have never left me.

May think of some others later. Sorry, forgot Maximova, Terekova and Asylmuratova.

Edited by Two Pigeons

Those whom I wish I had seen  when i was able (i.e. they performed in my adult lifetime although I was not into ballet at the time)

1. Agnes Letestu

2. Cojacuru

I might be tempted to join in later but, for now, just to say that Alina Cojocaru is still dancing at her peak - for example, in Manon in Bucharest in April, at the Royal Albert Hall in ENB's Swan Lake in June; and in ENB's Le Corsaire in Paris, also in June.

• Like 4

1. Zakharova (btw, someone on another thread mentioned her political connections which make her 'untouchable' -- can anyone explain this to me?)

2. Diana Vishneva

I believe Zakharova is supportive of Putin around the Ukraine issue and once did a four year term as a deputy in the Duma, the Russian Parliament, appointed by him.

btw both she and Vishneva are well worth making an effort to see.  Zakharova in particular seems to divide opinion, but I found her mesmerising, with a hugely commanding presence on stage

My current favourites (although some not seen for a while due to logistics!) in no particular order are:-

Maia Makhateli - DNB

Liudmilla Konovalova - Vienna SB

Maria Alexandrova - Bolshoi

Olga Smirnova - Bolshoi

Ekaterina Shipulina - Bolshoi

Ekaterina Kondaurova - Mariinsky

Sabina Yapparova - Mikhailovsky

Irina Perren - Mikhailovsky

Tamara Rojo ENB

Alina Cojacaru ENB

Veronika Part - ABT

Ashley Bouder - NYCB

Dorothee Gilbert POB

Delia Matthews BRB

Nao Sakuma BRB

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Good fun topic.

First the ballerinas I've seen live (I've not seen any of the current Royal Ballet or Russian prima ballerinas) ...

Elisha Willis of BRB, I have seen her lead nearly all the Sir Peter Wright productions (Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Coppelia, Nutcracker) and her artistry and pristine classical brilliance I think is up there with any of the 'superstars'. I have found her completely convincing in everything I have seen her in.

Tamara Rojo and Alina Cojocaru of ENB have been tremendously exciting for me to see live, I've known about them for years and never thought I would see them dance down the road from me in Liverpool and Manchester. I also thought Daria Klimentova was a great prima ballerina and I was lucky enough to see her live in the Nutcracker before she retired.

Celine Gittens of BRB really stood out to me the first time I saw her, and continues to do so.

Amongst the ballerinas I haven't seen live I would particularly like to see Marianela Nunez of the Royal Ballet, and Sofiane Sylve of San Francisco Ballet. I think there is something so exceptional about Sylve, and sadly I feel it is unlikely I will see her dance live since SFB don't come to UK very often.   

• Like 1

Oh, just the two for me.  Cojocaru and Altynai Asymuratova.  I only saw the latter twice and was bowled over by her.  Cojocaru I would follow to the ends of the earth and I miss her dreadfully.  I live in hope that Francesca Hayward will be her successor.

I like Osipova and am amazed to see that she is dancing tomorrow as I have tickets and most of the other times she has been injured.  I am hoping that if she is not fit, they would have told us by now.

• Like 1

Amongst the ballerinas I haven't seen live I would particularly like to see Marianela Nunez of the Royal Ballet,

You do know she's doing the Giselle live broadcast on April 6th, northstar?  (and the repeats, whenever they may be).

• Like 2

I believe Zakharova is supportive of Putin around the Ukraine issue and once did a four year term as a deputy in the Duma, the Russian Parliament, appointed by him.

btw both she and Vishneva are well worth making an effort to see.  Zakharova in particular seems to divide opinion, but I found her mesmerising, with a hugely commanding presence on stage

Saw Vishneva in Anna Karenina which I loved, but it didn't get a particularly good reception.  Anyone else see it?

In no particular order:

Alessandra Ferri

Svetlana Zakharova

Natalia Osipova

Olga Smirnova

Certainly a list that benefits heavily from spending three winters in Moscow. 

Ballerinas I've really enjoyed but haven't seen in enough works to count as favourites

Aurelie Dupont

Alina Cojocaru

Yasmine Nagdhi - she is a particular enigma, seen her in lead roles of two productions only (Onegin, R&J) but can't forget either!

East to West, grouped in very rough chronological order (of my live viewing, not their debuts or age!) by company:

Plisetskaya, Semenyaka, Maximova, Ananiashvili; Kolpakova, Terekhova, Kunakova, Assylmuratova, Tereshkina; Jeppesen, Schandorff, Bojesen; Haydee, Keil; Guerin; Fonteyn, Sibley, Cojocaru, Nunez; Tallchief, Adams, Kent, Farrell, McBride, Peck; Fracci.

• Like 2

Love at first sight: Natalia Osipova and Celine Gittens

Dancers I happily book in pretty much any ballet (from companies I see often enough): Yasmine Naghdi, Marianela Nunez, Alina Cojacaru, Francesca Hayward, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, Tamara Rojo, Delia Matthews, Ksenia Ovsyanick, Fumi Kaneko, Momoko Hirata

Dancers I rarely see who left a deep impression with 1 or 2 performances: Smirnova, Lopatkina, Zakharova, Tereshkina, Yuan Yuan Tan, Kathleen Breen Combes and most of the Tanztheater Wuppertal cast that has been touring London the last few years.

• Like 2

I might be tempted to join in later but, for now, just to say that Alina Cojocaru is still dancing at her peak - for example, in Manon in Bucharest in April, at the Royal Albert Hall in ENB's Swan Lake in June; and in ENB's Le Corsaire in Paris, also in June.

...and Neumeier's Romeo and Juliet in Hamburg on the 6th and 13th of May. Plus a gala on Moscow on the 30th of March and other galas in the next months.

But maybe "2. Cojacuru" is another dancer... ;)

My top favourites: Alina Cojocaru, Tamara Rojo, Silvia Azzoni, Maria Alexandrova

Among the ones I've seen live: Lucia Lacarra, Viktoria Tereshkina, Uliana Lopatkina, Alessandra Ferri, Natalia Osipova, Svetlana Lunkina, Yuan Yuan Tan. And among the younger Olga Smirnova and Francesca Hayward.

Among the ones I've never seen live: Carla Fracci, Eva Evdokimova, Monique Loudières, Elisabeth Platel, Natalia Makarova, Altynai Asylmuratova, Ana Laguna (I saw her live just once, when she was over 50)

For sure not complete lists...

Saw Vishneva in Anna Karenina which I loved, but it didn't get a particularly good reception.  Anyone else see it?

I saw Vishneva in Anna Karenina and I preferred Uliana Lopatina to her. I loved some recorded performances, but she has always been a disappointment the three times I saw her live, in La Bayadere (awful port de bras) and in Neumeier's Illusions like Swan Lake (a bad and mindless performance, as she didn't know the character she was dancing, she was not well received by the audience and, at curtains, the first violin blatantly ignored her as refusing to be received on stage by her ...an very embarassing moment...)

I saw Vishneva in Anna Karenina and I preferred Uliana Lopatina to her. I loved some recorded performances, but she has always been a disappointment the three times I saw her live, in La Bayadere (awful port de bras) and in Neumeier's Illusions like Swan Lake (a bad and mindless performance, as she didn't know the character she was dancing, she was not well received by the audience and, at curtains, the first violin blatantly ignored her as refusing to be received on stage by her ...an very embarassing moment...)

People didn't seem to like the ballet which I didn't understand.

Cojocaru I would follow to the ends of the earth and I miss her dreadfully.

Can I ask why you refer to her as if she is no longer dancing? Is it just that her UK appearances are no longer as frequent as when she was with the RB?

• Like 2

Oh! I don't live in the UK actually so I didn't know about Cojacuro still active. I saw some doc where she was leaving the ROH and so i assumed she was retired.

--

BTW i have to heretical here and say that I've seen a lot of Fonteyn videos on YT and she really doesn't compare to the current bunch of ballerinas technically. Her arabesques for example....

I understand most film of her available is when she was in her 40s+ but still. I've seen Maya Plisetskaya dance at 60 on YT and she was still amazing. Just saying!

--

Quintus, three times I've bought tickets - stall tickets in first 3 rows at over £100+ a pop to see Zakharova only for her to be replaced at the last minute!! 2 times in the ROH and once in Munich!! I'm planning on booking all her shows this summer when the Bolshoi visit and I'll thankfully be in England then! Let's hope she doesn't cancel again!!!

BTW i have to heretical here and say that I've seen a lot of Fonteyn videos on YT and she really doesn't compare to the current bunch of ballerinas technically. Her arabesques for example....

I understand most film of her available is when she was in her 40s+ but still. I've seen Maya Plisetskaya dance at 60 on YT and she was still amazing. Just saying!

From your list of favourite dancers you appear to have a strong preference for gymnasts over dancers.  It doesn't surprise me that the qualities of Margot Fonteyn go completely over your head.

• Like 1

I know I number of posters on YouTube remain unaffected by Fonteyn. I remember one of them describing her as 'a mediocre dancer at best'. All I can say, and this is totally heartfelt, is that people who think that way can never have seen her perform live.

My first trip to the ROH was the gala for her 60th birthday and she performed Salut d'amour and as the debutant in Facade with Helpmann. I may have been young and impressionable (22) and may have known very little about ballet but she is seared into my memory and I remember that performance far more clearly than many of those I have seen in the intervening years.

Her technique may have faded but her sheer theatrical magnatism just hadn't.

Here was a ballerina who had been dancing Aurora twice in one day in her 40s and 50s. When you think about how much and how often she danced during The War and on very indifferent stages you have to concede she was something very special. A good friend of mine saw her dance Swan Lake with Nureyev in Stratford Upon Avon. What are the chances of most of today's crop of ballerinas dancing that often or that accessibly?

It is perverse but the ordinary provincial balletomane has a far greater chance of seeing both Cojocaru and Rojo now they have left the RB. What is the likelihood of ever having the chance to see Osipova or Haywood outside of London?

Do not judge Fonteyn or her contemporaries by modern day standards. They may not have the same physical facility but I would suggest that many of the modern ballerinas could not compete with the oldies in terms of performance and artistry.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 12

I don't really tend to have "favourite" dancers of either gender, more dancers I like in particular roles - although obviously there are some dancers I like (a lot?) better than others.  I mean, I very much like Tamara Rojo, but despite that I still wasn't prepared to go and see her in Sleeping Beauty again.  So, certain dancers for MacMillan, certain dancers for Ashton, certain dancers for the classics, and so on, and even sub-selections within those classifications :).

• Like 7