Ballet Theatre UK - Pinocchio Tour, 2016

Member Dadlovesballet posted these thoughts on the BTUK School Thread in Doing Dance:

"We went to see the opening performance of BTUK's new show 'Pinocchio' last night at the Albany Theatre in Coventry. Lots of people there, not quite full, but a very respectable 80-90% capacity I would say.

Brilliant performance from everyone, really enjoyable production with great choreography and music. I can highly recommend it. Unlike some of the foreign ballet companies touring the UK, Ballet Theatre UK company members actually show a lot of artistry and enjoyment when on stage, they are not just going through the motions. 

Here are the Tour Dates :

http://www.balletthe...our-dates/c1yr1

Here is their Facebook page with some photos of the Dress Rehearsal :

https://www.facebook.com/BTUKcompany/

Disclaimer: my DD (2nd year student at School of BTUK) is in it for a few weeks while an injured company member recovers so I am possibly slightly biased ;-)"

Please post your thoughts on performances on this thread.  Thanks

• Like 1

Saw this at Bishops Stortford yesterday.

Robert Noble Pinocchio

Claire Corruble Anya/Blue Fairy

Vincent Cabot Gepetto

Sarah Mortimer Jiminy Cricket

The cast was excellent and the story was entertainingly and creatively told. So gratifying to see young children animated talking about it both in the interval and at the end.

Such a shame no programmes or cast lists. I only know who did what because I know the dancers!

• Like 2

hfbrew,

There was a cast list given to out to everyone at the opening night in Coventry so don't know why you didn't get one in Bishops Stortford. I can scan my copy and email it to you if you wish.

The programme is in production and will be ready very soon I'm told.

There are two casts, so not every performance will have the same artists in the same roles necessarily. Your performance was Cast 1.

Here is the list for Cast 1 :

• Pinocchio : ROBERT NOBLE
  • The Blue Fairy : CLAIRE CORRUBLE CABOT 
  • Geppetto : VINCENT CABOT
  • Jiminy Cricket : SARAH MORTIMER 
  • The Fox : CHARLOTTE LAURA EADES
  • The Cat : RODOLPHE GIACALONE
  • The Puppeteer : PEDRO SANTOS
  • Lampwick : GRACE CARR
  • The Ringmaster : LAIA RAMON

Fairground Folk, Ghosts of the Tree, Blue Fairy Attendants, Puppets, Circus Clowns, School Children and Ocean Spirits : ARTISTS OF THE COMPANY SHOWN ABOVE, PLUS :

• EMMA MILLER, LEXI HARRINGTON, INES FERREIRA, JODIE TIELEMANS, AMY KEENAN, DAVID BREWER
  • Like 1

I am looking forward to cast 2 next Saturday at Dunstable.

Some tours have had more than 2 casts so this production is relatively simple in that respect.

I really hope that the programme is ready in time for next Saturday as I have many students going and I know that they would buy them!

• Like 3

I am so glad that Christopher Moore has taken that suggestion on board. 

I admire the company and its talented young dancers and would encourage others to see but it is very hard to review a ballet without knowing for certain who danced what.  Having attended several shows I can recognize one or two of them by sight but even they can look so different under powerful lights and make up. 

I was always so grateful to you for your unofficial cast lists. Many of my posts would never have been written without you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We thoroughly enjoyed the performance of Pinocchio on Saturday Evening at the The Atkinson theatre in Southport.

It was such a fun ballet and although a couple of the younger cast members looked a little stiff to start, they seemed to relax into the performance and enjoy themselves. I particularly liked the Fox and the Ringmaster. It was however a woefully small audience, I hope that they are more supported on the rest of the tour. It is such a fun ballet to see. Recommended!

• Like 2

I had to drag myself out tonight to drive to Taunton through the cold and rain to see Ballet Theatre UK, and so nearly didn't go, but I'm so glad I did.

Very talented young dancers, as Tersichore says, and a very professional production, with lovely costumes. I'm not really the right demographic for 'Pinocchio', but it was so charmingly done, and the detail was so clever, it pulled me out of my grumps! I particularily liked the portrayal of the tree and the Ballanchinesque dance of the clowns.

The professional quality of the dancing though has made me very excited to see further productions, especially on a more adult theme.

• Like 2

Hi cavycapers,

So glad you enjoyed last night's performance. I am told the Taunton audience last night was one of the the best they have had so far. For the cast, it was a 4 hour journey there from Hinckley and 4 hours back afterwards, a long but rewarding day!

After Pinnochio, as far as I know, Romeo and Juliet is next in the Autumn this year, then followed by Giselle next year. Both of those will probably attract bigger audiences. Having said that, I really admire the fact that BTUK are trying to be different and creative with new and less well-known pieces. It's a fine balance, you have to generate revenue as well as meet your creative aspirations.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I saw a lot of good ballet last week:Cathy Marston's Jane Eyre for Northern Ballet in Richmond on 1st June and David Dawson's Swan Lake in Liverpool on the 3rd.   Christopher Moore's Pinocchio for Ballet Theatre UK was also good albeit different.

I don't know whether I am the only one to appreciate the irony of a performance of Pinocchio on the very afternoon that the English Defence League were demonstrating just a few hundred yards away but I am heartened that BTUK seem to have attracted a bigger crowd than the demo and counter-demo combined and the audience might well have been bigger had there been no demo.

I have a lot of time for Ballet Theatre UK. They bring fresh, colourful productions to small auditoriums throughout the UK and I know from the chat in the bar that their work is appreciated.  I have seen three of their works in the last two years and I think Pinocchio is the company's best yet.

It is a gorgeous show with great sets by Martyn Plant and costumes by Daniel Hope. The music is beautiful and Christopher Moore's choreography is as always delightful. Great performances by all members of the cast, particularly by David Brewer as the carpenter, Ines Ferreira as his wife, Rodoplhe Giacalone as Pinocchio and Sarah Mortimer as an aggressive little boy called Lampwick.

Rotherham seems to be particularly receptive to fantasy as it has a magical apothecary called Grimm & Co in the town centre.   No kodding.

• Like 3