Invisible Knickers!

Pups_mum

I was in the lingerie department in Debenhams today and noticed they were selling "invisible knickers" in a variety of styles. They had them in white, black and nude from size 6 upwards and I thought they looked as if they'd be ideal for under dancewear. The price wasn't bad either - about £5 a pair I think. Of course as is always the way, I've just ordered several pairs of nude knickers fpr DD from an on-line dancewear shop at rather higher cost so I didn't buy any, but I think I'll get her some to try next time she needs some. Just thought I'd pass the message on as there seem to have been a few queries about knickers on here recently and I thought these may be of use to someone.

• Like 3

M&S also do high legs in a sort of silky material. One of the multipacks has white, black and nude colour and they are invisible even under dd's high legged associates leotard. Their size 8 is titchy.

At White Lodge the girls have to wear thongs under their leotards after year 7. Smallest DD and I had a very educational shopping trip trying to source those! we ended up getting the smallest size in Primark and shrinking them with a hot wash/ tumble dry - the things we do for the sake of ballet :blink:

• Like 1

I thought no knickers under leotards was absolutely normal, time of the month or not. The tights are the knickers, just ones with long legs! One of my other teenage daughters is into diving and you don't wear knickers in that sport, and I don't see much difference between a swimming costume and a leotard.

Nevertheless, I will ask DD if she wants any invisible knickers!

• Like 2

Knickers, invisible or not, are a complete non-no in DDs' school, time of the month or not...

I thought no knickers under leotards was absolutely normal, time of the month or not. The tights are the knickers, just ones with long legs! One of my other teenage daughters is into diving and you don't wear knickers in that sport, and I don't see much difference between a swimming costume and a leotard.

Nevertheless, I will ask DD if she wants any invisible knickers!

Has always been my daughters school's approach - if it isnt there there is nothing to worry about!

They stick pads on tights and the leotard holds everything in place and sometimes they wear black dance shorts on top!

Spanner, in my DDs' old school, if you were knickers, you were to go and change and only come back if wearing nothing under your stockings. It was serious trouble if you didn't comply!

How do professional dancers do? They get time of the month too!

Spanner, when my DD first started her periods she was a bit anxious about dancing so I got her a little black tie on chiffon skirt to wear over her leotard and she and her teacher were happy with that. It's another option you may like to consider for those delicate times!

Anyway, I didn't really start the thread to debate the pros and cons of wearing knickers. I know some teachers don't allow them but others obviously do as dance shops sell them and I've seen people ask about them on here. I was merely suggesting a potential cost saving to those whose girls do wear knickers under their leotards, unitards or festival/show costumes etc.

• Like 2

That's a good idea. :-). DD has a printed chiffon skirt which is XS; long enough to cover things but short enough to see the legs. It would only be at Associates that she couldn't wear it, but if she moves up next year, the leo's are considerably darker. :-)

I believe that the knickers/no knickers thing should be completely down to the individual dancer's own preference BUT that if they are worn they should be carefully chosen so that they cannot be seen.Surely any dancer will perform better if they are comfortable with what they are wearing.

edited to correct spelling

Edited by spooky
  • Like 5

I remember at Northern Ballet School ,the part time children`s classes,[Manchester] we were allowed to wear knickers,except on exam day when,just in case our knicker line accidentally showed,we were not allowed to wear any. Miss Marcia Rhodes,one of the teachers ,used to help us get ready in the dressing room,doing hair etc. Once,i think it was my RAD Senior Grade exam,i had my period.I`ll never forget i was so embarrassed,as,while getting ready,she told me to take my knickers off.I blushed and said i couldn`t as i was on my period.She was very sweet,and said,oh you poor darling,or words to that effect,and just made sure my knickers were pulled up as high as they would go. Always remembered it though.Talk about embarrassing.!!!

• Like 1