Paediatric Nurse - can dance still be my hobby?

chloeballet96

Hi there I'm 19 years old and have been dancing since I was 2 years old, I have been studying my intermediate Ballet grade for around a year now as I thought I wanted to become a dance teacher, and a have been working with children for around 3 years and the other day I decided I'd like to become a children's nurse, I love dancing but I think it will have to just be a hobby, can I still do dance as a hobby??

Of course you can. Depending on where you live, there will be one or two, or many more classes per week. You're already doing a recognised pathway of study - you just need to find a way to do few more classes each week, and maybe look at all the week-long or weekend intensives for adults to keep pushing your dance study. There are lots of threads in here giving information about adult intensives, workshops, and weekly classes.

Good luck!

• Like 1

In both the Adult Companies I've joined in recent years there are a lot of nurses and midwives who have very busy lives but not only find time for ballet classes but have enjoyed being able to perform as well!!

Obviously depending where you live etc but if you're in striking distance of London you can be very lucky indeed! Though provision of ballet classes and workshops etc seems to be improving all the time elsewhere in UK as well.

I see no reason why you can't continue to dance as a hobby for the time being. I am a paediatric intensive care nurse and also help run a childrens theatre group and belong to

a theatre group myself, performing in two shows a year. My 6 year old dd is also trying to persuade me to join the adult beginners ballet group at her dance school, which I am

seriously considering for next year, having never danced a ballet step in my life!  I really think it's a good idea to have a hobby outside work to help relieve the stresses of a

busy and demanding job. There is no reason why, after qualifying, that you could'nt continue as a dance teacher too. I wish you every success in the future.

• Like 3

Given the hundreds, possibly thousands, of Dance Schools up and down the UK (and, no doubt, elsewhere), I'd have thought that statistical probability might suggest that most of their students are dancing as a hobby.  I very much doubt that you'd be alone.

• Like 5

And universities usually have dance societies - some better than others.

You might find however that you either won't have time due to being on such a busy course (and with placements) or that you find a different society you'd like to try instead - one of the great things about going to uni - the chance to try new things.

My (now 3rd year) vet student daughter was doing Advanced 2 ballet, tap and modern, plus contemporary classes before she went to uni. The dance society on her campus wasn't great so she thought she'd have a go at rugby! She's has just been voted "players' player" for this year, and will be vice captain and vice president next year - so you never know what lies ahead!

• Like 10

And universities usually have dance societies - some better than others.

You might find however that you either won't have time due to being on such a busy course (and with placements) or that you find a different society you'd like to try instead - one of the great things about going to uni - the chance to try new things.

My (now 3rd year) vet student daughter was doing Advanced 2 ballet, tap and modern, plus contemporary classes before she went to uni. The dance society on her campus wasn't great so she thought she'd have a go at rugby! She's has just been voted "players' player" for this year, and will be vice captain and vice president next year - so you never know what lies ahead!

Gosh is your daughter really into her third year of training already? Where do the years go?

• Like 1