Hamstring flexibility

balletbrokemybank

My DS seems unable to completely straighten his legs when they are flat on the floor I.e. there is always a gap under tge knee unless he makes a considerable effort. He also seems to struggle with side splits.

He has tight hamstrings and calves. We are stretching regularly but I am worried this will be his limiting factor for vocational school. He didn't get through to finals for WL and his JA teacher intimated that it could have been a flexibility issue. He has good flexibility elsewhere - his box splits are great.

Can anyone recommend a good course of action and does anyone know how much this will limit him going forwards?

Thank you

Hi Jenny boy dance - I know boys aren't as flexible as girls for starters. Being able to do box splits at that age is very good for a boy. I certainly wouldn't assume that not getting to WL finals means there is a significant problem - most JAS don't get through! Seeing a dance physio for advice may be a good place to start. If you mentioned your area (roughly) I'm sure you would get some recommendations here.

Hi there. Just a thought but it might be related to neural tension.... Have a look online at Lisa Howell's stuff, she is an Australian dance physiotherapist and does a lot of work on this topic. I'm sure someone else here can also recommend her. I'm on my phone so can't post links at the moment but she has a blog and also videos on YouTube.

• Like 1

My DS is not flexible in the hip flexors and hamstrings. As a little boy he was but when he began to grow everything tightened up (he has the most freakishly flexible shoulders though! I always say it's a shame they aren't his hips). He works very hard at his flexibility as it is the only thing I see that will stop him reaching his dream (all things remaining the same). We bought the Lisa Howel DVD which has made very little difference to his flexibility - some improvement though. I have now bought a couple of the 'easy flexibility' programmes - I'm sure you've seen them all over Facebook - actually very good so far, but time will tell. I have also done a few stretching courses as a Pilates teacher with the express intention of helping him and bought numerous books on the subject. It has to be a slow process with gradual gentle improvement, the last thing we need is a stretching related injury.

DS is at voccational school and never looks stiff as a dancer but I know if he doesn't reach a certain level of flexibility he won't be able to secure a dancing job. The demands of flexibility just keep getting more and more and the boys now have to be very flexible too.

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at Lisa Howell. What she says seems to make sense and we tried the basic exercises. Might have to bite the bullet and just buy the DVD.

I know there is a physio in Chester that deals with the Hammond so I might give them a call as it is not too far away.

He works so, so hard on dancing and absolutely loves it. It would be such a shame if this were to be the factor preventing him going forwards.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Thank you for the link Kate N. I used to be a sports pro and we always used dynamic stretching before a training session. It just makes sense. DS generally stretches after a class or a bath.

I am hoping to do a Msc next year in physiology and biomechanics but I would really like to do some research into functional flexibility.

• Like 1

Also, WHEN is he stretching? My teacher (trained in Dance Science as well as an ex-professional dancer) is very stern about not doing static stretches before class. They actually damage and weaken the muscle fibres. She's forwarded this to us, which may be of interest.

http://dancemagazine.com/inside-dm/what_are_they_doing_wrong/

Absolutely. Static stretching before exercise is a pet hate of mine.

• Like 1

Jennyboydance we should talk! I want to do some research about the effects of extreme stretching on joint structures - I have questionnaire data from 150 pre-professional dancers so far, regarding flexibility and pain but that's as far as I've got what with being a school teacher and dance teacher!

• Like 1