Critics' Circle National Dance Awards 2015

The awards for 2015 were announced and presented this morning. Full details on DanceTabs.

Grishko Award for Emerging Artist - Matthew Ball (First Artist, The Royal Ballet)

Jane Attenborough Dance UK Industry Award - Tamara McLorg

Best Classical Choreography - Wayne McGregor for Woolf Works by The Royal Ballet

Best Modern Choreography - Crystal Pite for Polaris for Sadler’s Wells

Outstanding Female Performance (Classical) - Laura Morera as Lise in La Fille mal gardée for The Royal Ballet

Outstanding Male Performance (Modern) - Ben Duke in Paradise Lost [lies unopened beside me] for Lost Dog

Outstanding Male Performance (Classical) - William Bracewell as Le Roi Soleil in The King Dances for Birmingham Royal Ballet

Outstanding Female Performance (Modern) - Zizi Strallen as Lana in The Car Man for New Adventures

Special Award for Exceptional Artistry - Israel Galván and Rocío Molina

Best Independent Company - Rosie Kay Dance Company

Grishko Award for Best Female Dancer - Alessandra Ferri

Dancing Times Award for Best Male Dancer - Vadim Muntagirov

Stef Stefanou Award for Outstanding Company - New Adventures

De Valois Awards for Outstanding Achievement - Sylvie Guillem CBE & Caroline Miller

• Like 1

Just to restore the balance  :) let's hear it for Laura Morera, Matthew Ball and Vadim Muntagirov along with all the other award recipients.

Some years, there is a tendency to wonder what the critics have been watching and how they missed certain key performances. But this year's outcome seem to truly reflect the UK dance scene.

• Like 10

Chuffed for William Bracewell, so sorry David Bintley missed out to McGregor on the choreography award:-(( really hoped King Dances would have walked home with that one. Congrats to New Adventures as well.

To be fair though, Woolf Works was particularly stunning I thought (especially the 1st and 3rd sections).

Think I 'selected' the winner of 7 of the awards nominated, a personal record! (I'm usually way off the pace)

• Like 2

Also one selection was absolutely nailed on, and that was Crystal Pite's 'Polaris'. Really would have been a stewards enquiry had that not won...

(PS - not intending any offence to the other nominees, but this would have won in almost any year I reckon)

• Like 1

I had hoped that Vadim Muntagirov, Matthew Ball and Laura Morera would win so delighted for them all (and for all those who won). Vadim has so consistently nailed every role, despite nearly all of them being new to him, that I hoped it would be a foregone conclusion. I'm particularly delighted for Laura Morera, who doesn't always seem to get the credit she deserves (by the way, there is a lovely interview with her in the February edition of Dance Europe).

• Like 9

I am so thrilled Laura Morera won the category "Best Female Classical". She doesn't normally get the credit she so deserves, her performances have given me much pleasure, her Lise and Gypsy were out of this world. Delighted for Matthew Ball and William Bracewell too. Congrats to all the deserving winners.

• Like 7

I am so thrilled Laura Morera won the category "Best Female Classical". She doesn't normally get the credit she so deserves, her performances have given me much pleasure, her Lise and Gypsy were out of this world. Delighted for Matthew Ball and William Bracewell too. Congrats to all the deserving winners.

And to all those nominated too

• Like 3

In a nutshell, what did she say to make you damp-eyed, Lee?  Was she very grateful that finally she'd got the recognition she has deserved for years?!  Well, she's had that recognition from us, the audience, of course.....   :)

• Like 1

It was a very pleasant occasion and a great opportunity to see the people involved in the Ballets - Dancers, Choreographers and Artistic Directors. Many thanks to Graham Watts and the members of the Critics' Circle Dance Section for carrying on this worthwhile tradition enjoyed by all present, nominees as well as the winners.

NDA%2B2015%2B-%2BAwards_199%2B-%2BA%2Bha

A happy group with Laura Morera, Vadim Muntagirov and Matthew Ball of the Royal Ballet

NDA+2015+-+Awards_024+-+Eve+Mutso+-+Scot

Eve Mutso of the Scottish Ballet nominated for Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire

More on two albums on www.johnrossballetgallery.co.uk
  • Like 2