Flesh And Bone - TV show about ballet

Haha - the first episode has the company director ranting about patrons who like prosecco and proclaiming: "We will serve Veuve Cliquot at this Gala if I have to give blowjobs on the corner to pay for it!"

I can see where your friend is coming from A frog.  It's Footballer's Wives in pointe shoes.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the ballet parts of the show- there is some lovely dancing, particularly from Irina Dvorovenko, former ABT principal.

Some of the story is pretty preposterous, but I'll happily take it to see some good dancing, and surprisingly good acting from the cast, many of whom are/were professional dancers, not actors originally.

The plot is very dark though, so it's not always an easy watch. Unfortunately it's not been picked up for a second series.

Edited by Rachelm

Yes. I watched it because I wanted to see e dancing, and I found I had to endure the story to do that.

Won't spoil it for people with the story line, but there's good sizable chunks of Rubies towards the end of the series, and a new ballet. Interesting they aren't afraid to show the same solo done by the 2 female leads.

Be warned, there's LOTS of explicit scenes, nudity and strong language!

Well, between this and Black Swan, I'm wondering why anyone in their right mind would want to join a ballet company. Good thing it's fiction... (although some of Agony and Ecstasy had some parallels, so maybe not quite fiction)

Edited by Melody

I couldn't get through the pilot. It just seems to be misery guts with a side order of misery. And then some gritty looooooong shots of something miserable. I hopped through a couple of other episodes to see whether it becomes less woeful, only saw long sorrowful looks and morose silences and decided that it's clearly not for me. I could imagine a documentary about an abattoir to be more cheerful than this.

• Like 2

I see Sarah Hay has got a Golden Globe nomination for her role in Flesh and Bone in the 'Best performance by an actress in a mini-series or motion picture made for television' category - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35060100.  Say what you like about the series as either ballet or as drama (and I have to say I really enjoyed even though it was grim viewing in terms of subject matter at times), I think this nomination is well deserved.

Edited by ChrisG
  • Like 2

I've caught up on this series bar one episode... It's amusing enough as it has the shock and shlock dialled up to 11; incest, strippers, violence, drugs, mafia, human trafficking. Maybe I should ask about these things at the next ENB Friends evening as I've clearly been missing out in my ballet experience! Nice to see Irina Dvorovenko, though to be honest I'd rather she'd kept her top on. I'm waiting to see in the last episode whether Sarah Hay is called upon to register an expression other than 'anguished'.

• Like 2