English National Ballet: Le Corsaire, Winter 2015/16

ENB opened in Liverpool tonight with Le Corsaire.  It is such enormous fun and the whole company look as though they are having a ball dancing it!

We saw a seriously virtuoso performance from all the principals tonight - Tamara Rojo, Isaac Hernandez, Laurretta Summerscales, Cesar Corrales, Junor Souza and Yonah Acosta.  The pas d'action in act 2 brought the house down - in fact I commented to Don Q Fan in the interval that I cannot remember such an enthusiastic audience for a ballet in Liverpool!

The whole company looked fabulous but if one person stood out it had to be the amazing Cesar Corrales.  I don't think I have seen him dance before but I want to see him again!

• Like 8

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only echo Janet's comments. The company were on fire tonight and Corrales was the most amazing dancer I have seen for a while and he certainly got the loudest applause and cheers. All the men performed very high jumps - maybe they were competing amongst themselves - but it struck me just how high they jumped and how long they stayed there. Corrales, as Birbanto, performed the most complex jumps of all and I'm blown away by him. It was lovely to see Isaac Hernandez again as Conrad - I last saw him at DNB in Jewels. Here he partnered Tamara Rojo perfectly and she was perfect for the role of Medora, indeed it was great to see Tamara dancing too. The most stunning dancing was the grand pas deux/trois by Rojo/Hernandez/Corrales...that alone was worth the ticket price (I feel a bit of a fraud as with my ATG card it cost me just £18 for a top ticket!!!). The corp de ballet were great and all the supporting roles were great nothing to fault at all. I should mention Laurretta Summerscales who was a lovely Gulnare! Costumes, sets and music all beautiful. So glad ENB took the decision to bring Le Corsaire to Liverpool. If you can possibly see Le Corsaire I would definitely recommend it. I'd be going again only I am away for the rest of the run:-((

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 4

It's the first time for it in Liverpool.  I did see it in Manchester and the houses were sparse.  In fact I believe all performances, except those with Alina Cojocaru, were sparse until it reached the Coli and word had got around.

Last night was ATG card holders night where tickets were half price which would explain so many people giving something a whirl that they had not heard of.  I bumped into my Aunt and she said she had never heard of it but was absolutely loving it!  

I've had a quick look at the website; the Empire is a barn - Around 2300 patrons over 2 levels.  The stalls look pretty full for both performances today and the front circle also looks full.  I expect the rear circle won't be as busy, but that is always the case when productions aren't known.  ENB, judging by comments all around me last night, has a good fan base in Liverpool.  If I am honest I thought I may be having 2 private performances today but am very glad that I am not!

(We lost out on Manon because it absolutely bombed in Manchester.  It might have been interesting to see how well it sold in Liverpool).

• Like 1

As Janet says this is the first time in Liverpool for Corsaire. The audience was very enthusiastic too and it was press night so hopefully a few good reviews will fill up any remaining seats. The Echo has given it 5 stars! It's way cheaper than the Coli anyway so had I not been going to Paris for Bayadere I'd be going again to see some other casts. To those going today/rest of run ENJOY!!!

Ps I think I said Corrales was Birbanto he wasn't he was Ali...sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Don Q Fan

Sorry it was Manon that didn't sell very well in Liverpool, or, so I was told.As far as ticket prices at the Coli are concerned according to Wayne Eagling the season at the Coli deals with the deficits that build up while the company is on tour. If more of the company's costs are covered by the tour it might be possible for the ticket prices in London to be reduced a bit.

Edited by FLOSS

Sorry it was Manon that didn't sell very well in Liverpool, or, so I was told.As far as ticket prices at the Coli are concerned according to Wayne Eagling the season at the Coli deals with the deficits that build up while the company is on tour. If more of the company's costs are covered by the tour it might be possible for the ticket prices in London to be reduced a bit.

I HATE TO LABOUR THE POINT BUT MANON DID NOT EVEN GET AS FAR AS GOING ON SALE IN LIVERPOOL BECAUSE IT BOMBED SO BADLY IN MANCHESTER WHICH IS 40 MILES AWAY!

• Like 1

Sadly, it was the people's loss. Even though it was pared down version compared to that of the RB, the performances themselves were wonderful. I particularly remember Daria and Friedemann being so very moving in the roles.

• Like 2

Yes I can only agree Manon was fab in Manchester I don't recall it being empty. That Klimentova/Vogel performance is one that sticks in the memory and when I got a chance to tell Daria how much I enjoyed it she spontaneously hugged me!!! Have to say I prefer the pared down version as you got substance instead of fancy sets!

Edited by Don Q Fan

Janet,I wasn't trying to wind you up.I do understand that towns and cities north of Watford are not one large undifferentiated place called "Up North". I apologise for my mistake but I was told it was Liverpool. I shall, in due course, take my informant to task.

At regular intervals people who post on this site express amazement and concern that ballet programmes that they consider to be well worth seeing fail to attract audiences in the numbers that they expect.I have been to Birmingham on a number of occasions and been amazed by the number of empty seats at both matinee and evening performances of some mixed bills. The Ashton mixed programme was sparsely attended on the day that I went.It isn't just mixed bills that fail to attract audiences the RNZB Giselle at Canterbury had a very small audience at the matinee.Now I know that there is a quip that says you can sell tickets for any ballet as long as it is called Swan Lake but it seems to be increasingly the case that the average non balletomane is rarely tempted to buy ballet tickets and that if they do they are more likely to buy tickets for Nutcracker and Swan Lake than anything else.

When companies go on tour their touring venues are usually towns which are hubs in their locality for shopping and entertainment within easy travelling distance of a significant population and yet companies often fail to fill the theatre for the duration of the visit. I know that BRB does smaller scale tours but even then the choice of venue is a town with a theatre which attracts audiences from the surrounding area.Do you think that the failure to attract audiences reflects a general lack of interest in ballet or a failure by companies to sell their product effectively.If it is a lack of interest in ballet when did the interest begin to decline and what, if anything, can be done about it? If it is a failure by companies to sell their product effectively what should they do to improve their ticket sales?

Effective marketing will become of increasing importance as the limited money currently available to the arts is further reduced.Companies, for the main part, seem to operate on the basis that they need do no more than say they are performing a ballet by the eminent choreographer X and the tickets will sell themselves.They clearly assume a far greater knowledge of the repertory than the non ballet goer and many regular ballet goers possess. The lady sitting next to me at Covent Garden last night told me that she liked ballet and Ashton was her favourite choreographer but that she had never heard of the Two Pigeons. Clearly as can be seen from the number of unsold ticket for the Two Pigeons programmes announcing a major revival of a work by an eminent choreographer is not enough to sell tickets. It is clear that dancers like Acosta can sell tickets for programmes that would otherwise sell very slowly and probably not sell out.But would we want to watch a repertory that was dominated by the tastes of one or two dancers and programmes designed to reflect their abilities as dancers and choreographers?

What sort of houses is Corsaire playing to in Liverpool? Enthusiastic ones from what has been posted so far, but what sort of capacity? What has the ENB done as far as publicising the performances is concerned?Has it done anything new or applied old techniques differently? Rojo seems far more aware of the need to be seen and heard than most ballet directors. Has there been any thing on local radio, for example, about the season ? Would the best solution for most companies be to reduce, or even abolish their marketing departments on the basis that most of the people employed in them are either lazy or incompetent and use the money saved on hiring some professional publicists? Perhaps the mere threat to take such action would be enough to galvanise the marketing staff into action

Edited by FLOSS

I've been following the ENB on twitter and they posted an interview with a radio station in Liverpool and there's a good review today in a local paper.

I didn't book for RB Two Pigeons mixed bill because I love ballet but hadn't heard of these works and though I like giving things a go I saw the PRICES!!  I was hoping there would be an offer but I've now got things on the dates the offer is now available so I've missed it.  I can't believe they were charging £59 for the amphitheatre!  Whose idea was that?

• Like 1

I've watched ballet all around England and Wales and although houses vary, attendances are usually good. The poorest I've seen was for the Kirov in Manchester, possibly because the prices were so high.

ENB recently gave a single performance of their Lest We Forget programme at Milton Keynes, there were a few empty seats, but there were empty seats at ROH last night too.  A hugely enthusiastic audience in MK, some of the comments I overheard suggested to me that the WW1 theme has vast appeal.  As far as marketing goes some of the poorly attended events at the Coliseum have also suffered from lack of publicity.  If there is a veiled suggestion that people are less appreciative of the arts outside of London. my experience is that they are nothing of the sort.

.It isn't just mixed bills that fail to attract audiences the RNZB Giselle at Canterbury had a very small audience at the matinee.Now I know that there is a quip that says you can sell tickets for any ballet as long as it is called Swan Lake but it seems to be increasingly the case that the average non balletomane is rarely tempted to buy ballet tickets and that if they do they are more likely to buy tickets for Nutcracker and Swan Lake than anything else.

I am surprised by the fact that the RNZB in Canterbury had such a small audience.  My niece likes to travel there to watch various dance companies, and it seems there is quite a good appetite for ballet in Kent, from what she has told me.

Generally, I think publicity these days tends to rely heavily on the internet.  I get emails telling me about various productions, but only if I happen to be on the mailing list to start with.   And there is  a limit to the number of mailing lists I can subscribe to before my mail box gets too full. 

Other than that, my main source is the tube, where I can see the posters they put up.  Which, of course, is no help to those who don't travel on it.

Edited by Fonty

Quite.  I find I'm really missing out now I'm not using the Tube on a regular basis, at least, not the deeper lines.  The corridors up from the platforms at Angel are one of my major sources - although some of those are out of date. too.

I do agree the RB Pigeons/Monotones seems expensive- as much as Romeo and Juliet. People expect to pay less for a triple bill (OK this is really a double bill but still) than for a 3 Act story ballet.

I almost never get emails from ROH encouraging me to book tickets or making me an offer.

True I book a fair few anyway..but, still. They could have a go at selling me some more!

Do others get emails?

I agree that Acosta is the only dancer non-balletomane friends have heard of. With him out of the picture...do RB need to do more to promote their stars and  engage the public? Many of them-all of them! are personable, attractive as well as superbly talented. I think we all disliked that poster proclaiming Ed Watson a rhinoceros or something. But maybe something a bit more subtle.....

It is also true as others have said that T Rojo is very good at promotion. Perhaps RB, ENB and BRB should in fact join forces and hold a brainstorming seminar about how to promote ballet- in the end they will all stand or fall by ticket sales.

• Like 1

I do agree the RB Pigeons/Monotones seems expensive- as much as Romeo and Juliet. People expect to pay less for a triple bill (OK this is really a double bill but still) than for a 3 Act story ballet.

I almost never get emails from ROH encouraging me to book tickets or making me an offer.

True I book a fair few anyway..but, still. They could have a go at selling me some more!

Do others get emails?

I get emails for ROH regularly. 

I used to get something through the post for BRB & ENB, but that has vanished. However, I get an email periodically from the Coliseum, which covers ENB.    

I get a monthly e-mail 'newsletter' from ENB. I'm not sure how they have my details as I'm not a friend (I'm pleased to receive it though). I receive e-mails from the Coliseum, which has my details because of ballet performances which I have booked for at that venue but I think that they normally advertise ENO performances. I have occasionally received flyers in the post advertising BRB's performances. The RB has an enormous advantage in having a home theatre which handles it's own bookings. Sadlers's Wells is pretty good; it sends season brochures through the post and regular e-mails.

I also saw the opening night of Le Corsaire at Liverpool Empire which Janet and Don Q Fan have already commented on in this thread. Never seen a Corsaire and I can only agree with them how impressive a spectacle it was. I agree with the ENB promotional description on their web page - 'the most thrilling of all classical ballets' - I've seen many of the classics and always been thrilled, but not dazzled in the same way as during the performance I saw last night.

I chose opening night mainly to see Rojo (Medora), conscious there may not be very many more opportunities to see her dance live. Her performance met my expectations, of a dancer with a fully formed individual command of her art. She met her technical challenges of balances en pointe, 32 fouettes (with triple pirouettes of course), diagonals and maneges, with such confidence, speed and ecstasy. I think the cheers she took were nearly as loud as those for Corrales (Ali) which have already been mentioned. It was a brilliant, masterly performance.

The praise which has already been given for the male dancers by Don Q Fan I would echo, the sheer exciting athletic power of Corrales complemented by the wonderful finesse of Hernandez (Conrad) - I have not seen either of them dance before (Hernandez only joined ENB this summer). And I have not seen Summerscales (Gulnare) in such a prominent role, and once more I found her precise elegance a perfect complement to Rojo's dazzling virtuosity  - it would be so interesting to see Summerscales as Medora (Friday eve)!

With such a concentrated series of spectacles in the ballet, and the relatively large number of leading characters that appear and reappear, and the multiple stunning sets, I struggle to recall all the wonderful scenes in the ballet. Of course, as Janet recalled, the Act II pdd stands out the most, and electrified the audience, how could it not? I think it's a ballet that demands to be seen several times (already planning to go again before it leaves Liverpool). A privilege to enjoy this level of performance, I cannot recommend it highly enough to those who have not already seen it. 

Edited by northstar
  • Like 5

I watched both performances yesterday and can only echo the views of Janet, Don Q Fan and northstar. The debut of Shiori Kase as Medora in the matinee was fantastic. She has such precise and assured technique, with a beautiful performance quality. I first noticed her last year in Liverpool in her debut in Swan Lake and thought, this young lady is going to be a star. Cesar Corrales as Ali, stole the show for me though. The evening performance too, was incredible, with an almost full theatre enthralled by the action packed ballet from start to finish and beautiful sets and costumes. Osiel Gourneo as Conrad was incredible and had the most amazing performance while jumping a high as the sky. Let's hope he becomes a permanent member of the company soon. I have never seen Erina Takahasi (Medora) perform before, but I will certainly be making a point of booking when she is performing, as she too was fantastic. To be honest the whole company looked like they were having a blast. If you have the chance to go and see Le Corsaire in Liverpool or at the Coliseum in January you will not be disappointed. It was also lovely to meet a lovely lady Janet McNulty, a true ballet fan and perfectly lovely person. LTD

• Like 7

It was lovely meeting LTD yesterday!

I agree with everything LTD said.  English National Ballet seems to be harbouring some great talent at the moment and both performances were just as enjoyable as Wednesday evening's sensational opener.  All three casts of lead characters brought something different and I am so glad I was able to see three performances.

Cesar Coralles has a prodigious talent - not only was his dancing exhilarating but he acted the two roles I saw him do too - Ali and Lankendem.  He is definitely a young man to watch out for in the future.

In the afternoon's cast I was absolutely blown away by guest Brooklyn Mack as Lankendem, gorgeous dancing and an overwhelming stage presence.  Max Westwell was utterly fabulous as Birbanto, dancing the role with gusto.

It was indeed a privilege to see guest Osiel Gouneo as Conrad last night - again a really strong stage presence and fabulous virtuoso dancing as well as great acting - he just inhabited the role.

I would love to see these two guests joining the company!

The ladies were equally impressive - both Shiori Kase and Erina Takahashi were sublime and we saw some fabulous dancing from the ladies in the pdt in Act 1.

The whole company threw themselves into the performances and that was one of the elements that made them so enjoyable.  I wish I could see the other casts but I am off to Bradford shortly for more Wuthering Heights.

Going back to earlier comments, I don't know how ENB marketed this production apart from lots of "suggested posts" popping up on Facebook but they managed to get the citizens of Merseyside into the theatre in droves.  It was so gratifying to see so many of my compatriots enjoying these fabulous performances.

• Like 6

Going back to earlier comments, I don't know how ENB marketed this production apart from lots of "suggested posts" popping up on Facebook but they managed to get the citizens of Merseyside into the theatre in droves.  It was so gratifying to see so many of my compatriots enjoying these fabulous performances.

That's great news to hear that it wasn't just for the first night.  My general impression is that Liverpool is a hard sell for "little-known" ballets.

• Like 1