Box split stretches

Prima_ballerina

It is always worth getting advice from your ballet teacher, who will explain the stretches correctly, check your placement and make sure you are using the right muscles. I'm sure they will also tell you that you also need to be thoroughly warmed up before attempting any stretching exercises. :)

• Like 1

I have told my DD (age 11) to stop trying to do box splits as she says her hips 'pop' and it hurts. So I've been reading about hip structure and growth spurts and think that for some, their anatomy means they may never achieve them. It seems to depend on tightness of ligaments as well as the bony structures. She can do front splits with both legs and I think that will do for now! (I'm sure other more qualified people can explain this better, so hope someone does)

Cara, it could just be a growth thing, I had a similar thing at one point my right hip would pop when I was in box splits so I stopped doing full out box splits for a while and now it's fine, as

nothing came of it I'm thinking it was just down to growth!

• Like 1

Thank you! Yes, my hip also sometimes pops- does this mean I will not be able to do box splits?

I'm not an expert at all, but from what I've read, it depends on whether the popping hurts or not. You know how your knees can 'click' when you bend or climb steps? That can just be a tendon sliding over bone, but it doesn't actually hurt. I think if it's associated with pain, you shouldn't do it. But my DD is 11 and growing, so we are being careful as the bones grow faster than the ligaments so you can injure yourself more easily. If you have finished growing, it may be different. Please be careful though, as you don't want to damage your hip joints!

• Like 1

I'm not an expert at all, but from what I've read, it depends on whether the popping hurts or not. You know how your knees can 'click' when you bend or climb steps? That can just be a tendon sliding over bone, but it doesn't actually hurt. I think if it's associated with pain, you shouldn't do it. But my DD is 11 and growing, so we are being careful as the bones grow faster than the ligaments so you can injure yourself more easily. If you have finished growing, it may be different. Please be careful though, as you don't want to damage your hip joints!

Thank you! I will continue to stretch but be very careful and stop as soon as it hurts.

• Like 1

Dd hasn't got box splits either.

Have you tried any of the Lisa Howell flexibility excercises.

No, but thank you- I definitely will!

Just found out today that I may not be able to do boxsplits due to the formation of the bones in my hips- for some people it is just physically impossible :-( but I will try a bit more anyway!