ENB Promotions, Leavers and Joiners

News just sent to Friends of ENB:

PROMOTIONS AND NEW JOINERS

Artistic Director Tamara Rojo is delighted to announce promotions within the Company and details of new joiners for 2015/2016 season.

Alison McWhinneyJames Streeter, and Max Westwell have all been promoted to Soloist. Cesar Corrales, who joined the Company in 2014, has been promoted to Junior Soloist. Anjuli Hudson has been promoted to First Artist and Barry Drummond has been promoted to 8th Year Artist. Huge congratulations to them all!

We are also thrilled to announce Osiel Gounod, currently a Principal with The Norwegian National Ballet, joins us as Guest Artist for the 2015/2016 season. You can read more about Osiel here. Emilio Pavan, currently a Junior Soloist with Queensland Ballet, joins the Company as Soloist. 

Joining English National Ballet as Artists are William BeagleyJosie Frick and Erik Woolhouse (The Royal Ballet School),Naomi Bottomer (English National Ballet School) and Prix de Lausanne prize winner Rina Kanehara.   The excitement isn't over: continuing to work with the very best talent from around the world, ENB also sees the legendary Irek Mukhamedov join its artistic team at the start of the 2015/2016 season when he joins as Principal Ballet Master and Character Artist. Many of you will remember the exhilarating masterclass he led in September last year and we are delighted that Irek is returning to ENB next season. 

LEAVERS

After 22 years with the Company, Lead Principal Dmitri Gruzdyev retires at the end of the 2014/2015 season. Having joined English National Ballet in 1993 Gruzdyev performed Principal roles in all the major classics including Balanchine’s Apollo, both Des Grieux and Lescaut in Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon, Romeo in Nureyev’s Romeo & Juliet, and more recently in the Company’s production of Le Corsaire in the lead roles of Conrad and Lankendem.

After 11 years with the Company, Principal Arionel Vargas, also leaves English National Ballet. Vargas performed Principal roles in Mary Skeaping’s Giselle with Albrecht being a particular favourite role and recently appeared in the Company’s production of Le Corsaire. Vargas has also danced both Lescaut and Des Grieux in MacMillan’s Manon and made many guest appearances throughout the world.

Nathan YoungSeo Yeon Yu and Joan Sebastian Zamora, left the Company mid-season.

• Like 2

Congratulations to ALL those promoted, most especially Mr. Streeter who, heaven knows, has done truly yeoman service over a good number of years and whose choreography is showing ever growing promise.  Also I think this season has been a breakout one for Mr. Drummond.  He was particularly fine in the Forsythe.  So pleased he has been honoured in some way.  There is no question but that young Mr. Corrales is a star in the making and is oh, so rightfully cherished.  It has been wonderful to see that the masterful Ms. Rojo/ENB has not over-exposed him within the ranks, allowing him to find a security of footing on his inevitable way up. 

I'm confident Mr. Gounod will be adding electric shocks of excitement throughout the coming season ... and the addition of Mr. Mukhamedov to the esteemed ENB artistic team is a wonderful boon, most especially in the aspect of 'Character' dancing.  For me his production of Swan Lake which I caught in Warsaw is one of the finest (certainly one of the most imaginatively intelligent) takes on that master work I have ever been privileged to witness.  

I am sorry to hear Mr. Zamora has departed.  He arrived on the scene with so much promise.  I pray he finds fulfillment in his future endeavours.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

There is one thing though I was at an ENB Friends event in June and watched part of a rehearsal for R and J and am positive (well was until read the above) that Joan was there! So not sure why he would have been there rehearsing for the Autumn!

• Like 1

There is one thing though I was at an ENB Friends event in June and watched part of a rehearsal for R and J and am positive (well was until read the above) that Joan was there! So not sure why he would have been there rehearsing for the Autumn!

Joan Sebastian Zamora has not been around for some time. You might have seen Daniele Silingardi who joined from the RBS at the same time as Joan.

I was there that day and also thought that I saw Joan Zamora.  However the person I thought was Joan was only watching the rehearsal - i.e. he didn't take part in it.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

and the addition of Mr. Mukhamedov to the esteemed ENB artistic team is a wonderful boon, most especially in the aspect of 'Character' dancing.  

Fantastic news about Irek, of course, and it will be good to have him back on stage. However, his main contribution will surely be as a fantastic, charismatic teacher.

Well, congratulations to all those promoted, and best wishes for the future to all the leavers.  I know that Gruzdyev and Vargas have been very much taking a back seat in recent years, but doesn't this leave the male principal ranks rather depleted?  And no permanent replacements, at least nothing that is being announced at the moment. 

• Like 1

Fantastic news about Irek, of course, and it will be good to have him back on stage. However, his main contribution will surely be as a fantastic, charismatic teacher.

Yes, I agree ... and to that end coaching the 'character dancing'.  (That was part of the point I was trying to raise.)  I pray that this does not impact on the employment of the truly glorious Mr. Coleman however.  What an asset that fine artist is.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Max's promotion is very much deserved after he almost single-handedly kept the Nutcracker run going last Christmas, plus he has danced a lot of other substantial roles as well. I'm also glad to see Anjuli's promotion.

• Like 3

I was there that day and also thought that I saw Joan Zamora.  However the person I thought was Joan was only watching the rehearsal - i.e. he didn't take part in it.

It's been pointed out to me that Isaac Hernandez has a very similar appearance to Joan Zamora and I now realize that it might well have been Isaac that we saw at the far end of the Markova House studio.

• Like 1

News just sent to Friends of ENB:

PROMOTIONS AND NEW JOINERS

Artistic Director Tamara Rojo is delighted to announce promotions within the Company and details of new joiners for 2015/2016 season.

Alison McWhinneyJames Streeter, and Max Westwell have all been promoted to Soloist. Cesar Corrales, who joined the Company in 2014, has been promoted to Junior Soloist. Anjuli Hudson has been promoted to First Artist and Barry Drummond has been promoted to 8th Year Artist. Huge congratulations to them all!

We are also thrilled to announce Osiel Gounod, currently a Principal with The Norwegian National Ballet, joins us as Guest Artist for the 2015/2016 season. You can read more about Osiel here. Emilio Pavan, currently a Junior Soloist with Queensland Ballet, joins the Company as Soloist. 

Joining English National Ballet as Artists are William BeagleyJosie Frick and Erik Woolhouse (The Royal Ballet School),Naomi Bottomer (English National Ballet School) and Prix de Lausanne prize winner Rina Kanehara.   The excitement isn't over: continuing to work with the very best talent from around the world, ENB also sees the legendary Irek Mukhamedov join its artistic team at the start of the 2015/2016 season when he joins as Principal Ballet Master and Character Artist. Many of you will remember the exhilarating masterclass he led in September last year and we are delighted that Irek is returning to ENB next season. 

LEAVERS

After 22 years with the Company, Lead Principal Dmitri Gruzdyev retires at the end of the 2014/2015 season. Having joined English National Ballet in 1993 Gruzdyev performed Principal roles in all the major classics including Balanchine’s Apollo, both Des Grieux and Lescaut in Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon, Romeo in Nureyev’s Romeo & Juliet, and more recently in the Company’s production of Le Corsaire in the lead roles of Conrad and Lankendem.

After 11 years with the Company, Principal Arionel Vargas, also leaves English National Ballet. Vargas performed Principal roles in Mary Skeaping’s Giselle with Albrecht being a particular favourite role and recently appeared in the Company’s production of Le Corsaire. Vargas has also danced both Lescaut and Des Grieux in MacMillan’s Manon and made many guest appearances throughout the world.

Nathan YoungSeo Yeon Yu and Joan Sebastian Zamora, left the Company mid-season.

A couple of names seem to have been left off the ENB Friends' email.  Tiffany Hedman has also been promoted to First Artist and the names of Nicola Henshall and Chantel Roulston have been added to the mid-season leavers.

Here is the link to the announcement which is now on the ENB website:

http://blog.ballet.org.uk/promotions-new-joiners-20152016-season/

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

I am sorry to hear Mr. Zamora has departed.  He arrived on the scene with so much promise.  I pray he finds fulfillment in his future endeavours.  

I believe he is joining Joffrey, but I don't see him on their website yet.

• Like 5

Osiel Gounod is one of the most exciting dancers I have ever seen. I saw him several times in Havana, at the biennial festival in 2012, and his technique surpassed any of the more famous male Cuban dancers, and in addition he has a delightful personality and real stage presence.

• Like 1

Great that Irek is joining but hope that means there is still plenty of work for Michael (Coleman) to do.I just loved Michael's Pasha in Corsaire !

Sad to hear that Joan has left . A very promising Dancer ( I remember seeing him in the film First Position).

I wish him well for his future Career.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Surprised to read Joan Sebastian Zamora left ENB so soon after he joined but looking at ENB's annual promotions list it often takes years for the most talented to be promoted. (unlike the RB). Zamora made a wise decision to take his career progress in his own hands. 

Why do you think that it's such a culture change, alison?

Nina, some dancers are promoted very quickly at ENB (eg Muntagirov to lead principal within four years and Corrales, who was promoted to soloist after one year with the company). It's odd that Zamora left after such a short time with the company but we don't know the reason that he left; it may be nothing to do with career progression / promotion (unless you know this for a fact because you are privy to some inside information). He actually danced Ali in Corsaire within a few months of joining the company and so he was hardly a 'spear carrier'.