Roughly how long does it take to prepare for an RAD exam?

Lema

My son went to an open day at Oxford last week. He was told that the college was not interested in 'well rounded' candidates but 'geeks'. This was for a competitive subject (not law or medicine).

A student whom I know at a top public school was told that half of the students who the school thinks will get an offer from Oxbridge don't and half of those who the school thinks won't get an offer do. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aileen - my personal experience of Oxford was that different colleges do look for different things and that's why schools with knowledge of particular colleges do well with admissions.

I think there will be less variation in medicine because it is a vocational course and due to the pre-admission aptitude testing.

You used to be able to make a 'pool' application rather than to a specific college and this did spread your bets.

Sadly have just realised it is so long since I was there that my knowledge is unlikely to be reliable! !

• Like 1

My experience of Oxbridge is that there is a " type". After many years of teaching I can recognise the ones that will get offers and those that won't. They are few and far between. In 25 years of teaching I have had 4 students get accepted and go. Its like RBS almost but just like RBS they are not for everyone or the be all and end all, and there are many paths to success!

That is a good comparison dramascientist.

I went from a state school and some colleges were more sympathetic to the fact that you would never get the same grades as those from top private schools. Don't know if this is still the case.

• Like 1

DD has just completed her first undergraduate year at Cambridge. She found that planning and thought was definitely required to narrow down the college to apply to as no two seemed to have the same entrance tests, essay requirements, TSA etc (it is a whole other world and a vocabulary to match). The admissions tutors have the performance data for every school, so that they can contextualise a candidates performance against their school cohort and their circumstances. DD was on a scholarship and bursary at an independent school, but the majority of her friend group are from state schools. 

The terms are short, the learning very fast and the pressure is intense (not least having your results posted in public on the Senate House Wall (thankfully a 1st ) :blink:  I feel her dance background although completely unrelated has given her skills to cope.  :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well, finally had the results back and DD managed to scrape a Distinction for her Grade 3 RAD.  Which reading this seems fairly good on so few lessons.  She did her Grade 2 ISTD a few days later, and managed a solid distinction for that too.

We are, however, in the process of looking for a completely different dance school for her - she wants to do well, and I suspect having more than one lesson a week would help her achieve that.  And other reasons too... for those who have read my other posts...

• Like 3