11 hours ago, alison said:

And let's face it, there were a lot of railway lines around there which the German bombers could have (and did) bombed.  I believe my former home was built on a bomb-damaged site.

My parents lived in a road in South Norwood (one stop before East Croydon) next to the railway line.  It was a short road but totally flattened in a bombing raid.  Today there are just a couple of tower blocks where that street was.   As kids we used to play on bomb sites, great fun, and it was years before the pre war housing stock was in part replaced.

I really enjoyed Curtain Fall by Jean Ure also - and Ballerina by Edward Stewart, which if I'm not mistaken the film 'The Turning Pointe' was based on.

I used to collect old ballet books from second hand shops, and have a nice little collection. Not all well written, but usually containing good photos of past stars. Some like Theatre Street by Karsavina I treasure. I unfortunately bought a couple by Arnold Haskell and was horrified at the racist language and opinion. I was even more horrified when I discovered that he had been connected to The Royal Ballet School and I used to wonder if that was why they didn't have any black students at the school then or in the company.. after all Haskell hadn't hid his racist opinions. So avoid them.

Anyway - my favourite autobiography is Irina by Irina Baronova, I have always loved stories of the 'baby ballerina's' so was really happy to get this, it's wonderfully written and full of beautiful photos.

On a lighter note I recommend a ballet quiz book called Balletomania by Andrew Mark Wentink, which is full of facts and great photos and is such fun to do.

12 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Alison, can you spot the location on here?  http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

Spot on, by the looks of it, Ian, thanks - although I can't zoom in too far without Firefox freaking out.  It's slightly odd, because I was always told that the plot next to mine had been a post-war demolition.  Oddly enough, there's also one showing right on top of where I'm living now, yet I can't see any evidence for anywhere in my part of the road having been bombed.

12 hours ago, MAB said:

My parents lived in a road in South Norwood (one stop before East Croydon) next to the railway line.  It was a short road but totally flattened in a bombing raid.  Today there are just a couple of tower blocks where that street was.

I think I ought to be able to guess where that one is - ah yes, I think I've got it. I think I used to spot them from the train.

On 16/11/2017 at 11:08, Ian Macmillan said:

Alison, can you spot the location on here?  http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

Ian. thanks very much for posting this link.  My mother was bombed out of her home twice, once in Chelsea and again in Stockwell so it's fascinating to see the details. Luckily her family were all OK, even my grandfather who refused to leave the house because he was still eating his supper when they heard the siren!