Royal Ballet: La Fille mal gardée, Spring 2015

In case you can't access the FT review, Clement Crisp gives 5 stars, loved Morera, thought Muntagirov the best Colas since Baryshnikov, and hasn't seen a finer performance since the first night.

(I loved it too but I think he slightly overrates it!)

• Like 4

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can't read Mr Crisp's review, but I found myself slightly surprised by the words of Jeffrey Taylor of the Daily Express:

"Morera seemed out of her depth last Thursday, looking heavy and technically insecure"

Er - I didn't see the performance myself, but i have never seen Morera look heavy and technically insecure in anything!  I do wonder about the critics sometimes, I really do. 

• Like 2

For those  who cannot accessThe Times review either, Debra Craine:

• describes Muntagirov as bringing "youth and enthusiasm" to the part; having "playful ease" with the choreography; making the dance "look entirely natural"; being "right at home in romance"; and being a "lovely partner";
  • says that "Morera may lack the radiance of some" but "makes the story come vibrantly alive"; and
  • is also complimentary about the other performances in leading roles

I had a feeling that Clement Crisp's critique would be enthusiastic but, in common with Fonty, I am really surprised at what Jeffrey Taylor said about Morera. Was he actually there, one wonders?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1c2bbaca-e4e5-11e4-8b61-00144feab7de.html

I hope this link will work for others.

I typed "Clement Crisp La Fille mal gardee" in my search engine box and was able to read the full review.

--

(I've just tried clicking on the link I posted here but one cannot access the review this way; however typing it in the search engine seems to do the job)

Edited by Nina G.

Various people have described Morera as sexy or earthy as Lise, which I had assumed was not quite what was requited for the role but most people seem happy with that. I have always found Morera rather 'knowing' in her roles and so I suppose that she was never going to play Lise as an ingenue. Having seen clips of Osipova in Coppelia, I imagine that she will be very good in the role but I won't be seeing her.

I've had an email through from the ROH claiming that Osipova and *Golding* will be dancing in the cinema performance.  This sounds most unlikely to me: wonder if something got copied through from the Swan Lake broadcast by mistake?

• Like 1

Various people have described Morera as sexy or earthy as Lise, which I had assumed was not quite what was requited for the role but most people seem happy with that. I have always found Morera rather 'knowing' in her roles and so I suppose that she was never going to play Lise as an ingenue. Having seen clips of Osipova in Coppelia, I imagine that she will be very good in the role but I won't be seeing her.

I have never really thought of Lise as an ingenue.  I've always pictured her as a young, robust country girl, only too ready to have a quick canoodle with her man behind the hay bales while her mother's back is turned. 

Talking of earthy interpretations, I went to see one of Nunez's early performances, and I remember her getting very saucy indeed with the butter churn!  I haven't seen her since, so she may have toned it down a little since then.   

• Like 2

I think if Lise was an ingénue she wouldn't be such a source of exasperation to her poor mother that she obviously is. Seems to me that the more saucy interpretations make a bit of sense - leave the ingénue role to Alain and his brolly!

• Like 1

Well, I can't read Mr Crisp's review, but I found myself slightly surprised by the words of Jeffrey Taylor of the Daily Express:

"Morera seemed out of her depth last Thursday, looking heavy and technically insecure"

Er - I didn't see the performance myself, but i have never seen Morera look heavy and technically insecure in anything!  I do wonder about the critics sometimes, I really do.

I DID see the performance and was also gobsmacked by Taylor's words! However, he is in a minority of one...and there's ALWAYS one....

• Like 7

I always see Lise as a pretty down to Earth character with a touch of feistiness even ...the opposite of Giselle say.

I really love Nunez and Acosta in these roles but must admit was completely bowled over by Baryshnikov's performance when he did it all those years ago.......he just put such energy into it and had a great cheekiness too.

As I will be going to see the "cinema" performance of this I hope it is a mistake that Osipova is dancing with Golding. I was really looking forward to seeing McRae in this role.

I found myself slightly surprised by the words of Jeffrey Taylor of the Daily Express:

He gets PAID to write that rubbish? Jeez!

• Like 2

I really love Nunez and Acosta in these roles but must admit was completely bowled over by Baryshnikov's performance when he did it all those years ago.......he just put such energy into it and had a great cheekiness too.

I still remember seeing Baryshnikov with Ann Jenner in 1977 and the sheer speed of the end of the Fanny Essler Pas de Deux is clear in my mind's eye. Looking forward to Campbell with Marquez this evening :-)

• Like 3

Yes those 1977 performances were ones to savour.I remember at  the beginning of the curtain calls there were so many flowers lying on the front of the stage that when Jenner came out for her first one she had to grab the curtain to keep upright. 

I have to say that Morera and Muntagirov were outstanding on first night and neither seemed to be overly exerting themselves as if Ashton is a breeze to dance. How wonderful to see a ballet made by a master choreographer working at the top of his game rather than a dull,atmospherically lit tediously earnest work wasting highly trained dancers.

• Like 3

Total enchantment tonight. What a delightful ballet Fille is. Was it Alistair Macauley who said words to the effect that the subject matter might seem light but the treatment of it is anything but, Marquez and Campbell work so well together, it's surprising that they weren't cast as a matter of course. As Barry Wordsworth commented at Stage Door, they have a natural empathy, and it was very touching to see Marquez come on for her solo call clutching a flower, summoning on Campbell and presenting it to him. His was a debut of absolute confidence: charming, manly, supportive, technically adept, whilst she was roguish, enchanting, amorous and beautifully fluent. I've an early start so won't write in mudh detail, but it really was a total delight.

• Like 14

I agree with all that James said. An incredibly impressive debut from Alexander Campbell, and Roberta Marquez reminded me why she's been my favourite Lise for many a year. Enchantment is just the right word!

• Like 9

Was anyone else at the performance a couple of years ago, when the little white pony lifted his tail, and everyone was thinking, No he's not going to is he? Yes he is..., and a corps member had to run on with a dustpan? I remember there was some slipping about in it as well! Made me laugh anyway...

• Like 1

Was anyone else at the performance a couple of years ago, when the little white pony lifted his tail, and everyone was thinking, No he's not going to is he? Yes he is..., and a corps member had to run on with a dustpan? I remember there was some slipping about in it as well! Made me laugh anyway...

Yes, I was there.  No-one actually has to run on, as the young lad who walks behind the pony and cart from the moment they appear onstage until the moment they leave is carrying a basket that contains a shovel which is covered by a check cloth, and the sole purpose of his being there is to sort out such events very quickly!  Luckily, however, little Peregrine doesn't have many 'naughty' nights! 

• Like 2

Fille always comes up smelling of roses as a piece but I had mixed feeling about the show last night (21 April). The good thing is that Marquez is a strong Lise - rather different to Morera and either is a catch to see. Campbell I don't warm to as a lead. He can do the steps OK and he can't help his short legs but it does mean he tends to recede into the crowd/corps and leads shouldn't do that. It's a cross to bear that even McRae can't totally escape from.

Luca Acri's Alain had a desperate time with the umbrella, which he either couldn't open or when open couldn't keep open. In the dying moments of the ballet, when Alain comes back to try and find his beloved umbrella in Window Simones farmhouse, I so wanted to shout "Why bother - it doesn't work!" In other respects a middling performance for me.

I've always admired Whitehead for his dramatic nature on stage but I don't think he has quite mastered Widow Simone yet - a bit too crude a caricature and probably wisely he decided against any of the on-stage capering following the clog dance. While Tuckett dances the role others have a stiff mountain to climb in breathing as much life into her. Despite anything I say, the house seemed well pleased. It's a robust thing is Fille and always seems to please the audience. For that may we all be thankful.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

Ah, props - fans, tambourines, swords, ribbons and, new to me, umbrellas - how the dancers must love them! It's hard enough dancing the steps and acting your part without worrying about a prop mishap. I don't suppose that dealing with animals (remember the old adage about never acting with animals) is much better.

• Like 1