Royal Ballet Promotion Predictions

For what it's worth, the term coryphée is also used in French opera to denote singers in a semichorus, for example in the opening chorus of Act 3 of Berlioz's Les Troyens, which is a full chorus led by a semichorus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also, the jump up from soloist to first soloist means no more corps work (as well as a pay rise!). Plus more opportunities to do principal roles, though not always the case of course.

I was at ENB Swan Lake last night and noticed Lauretta Summerscales dancing in the corps which I found strange as she's a 'Principal'. I know they have Lead Principal's at ENB but strange that the Principal's are still required to do corps work! Does anyone know why?

Won't be the first time, I've spotted principals in the corps occasionally, could be someone was sick and they needed someone quickly to maintain the symmetry. 

I was at ENB Swan Lake last night and noticed Lauretta Summerscales dancing in the corps which I found strange as she's a 'Principal'. I know they have Lead Principal's at ENB but strange that the Principal's are still required to do corps work! Does anyone know why?

was she one of the Lead Swans?

In the performances I saw last week, she and Begoña Cao (also a Principal) were in the pas de douze in Act 1 and were lead swans in the white acts but they were not in the general corps. ENB has often used principals in these roles, especially for Swan Lake in the round since the numbers needed are often multiplied by as many as four (eg in this version, the pas de trois becomes a pas de douze)

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2