Royal Ballet Promotion Predictions

Alison: ".... Hayward is a Soloist already (although that doesn't seem to stop her being cast in the corps)".

Not only Hayward but also Kaneko, Stix Brunell, Naghdi (all Soloists) have performed a few Corps roles over the past Season. I guess since they know so many roles they can easily take over from an injured Corps member.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Quote)

He supposedly does have a "regular" partner: she just doesn't seem to be being used very much these days. (Quote)

Well, increasingly, he seems cast with Sarah Lamb rather than Roberta Marquez.

(Quote) 

Lack of foresight?  Well, perhaps a bit, but I don't really think that Rojo, Cojocaru and Galeazzi could all have been expected to leave at more or less the same time. (Quote)

Of course, Benjamin left as well. Whilst I'd agree that nobody might have anticipated losing four principal ballerinas at the end of one season, surely there should have been at least one female First Soloist deemed suitable for promotion if due care to Company structure were being observed. Mind you, there wasn't a suitable male First Soloist at that time either.

• Like 1

Who was the last principal promoted from the 'ranks' of the RB? I think that Matthew Ball could become a danseur noble. He has the physique and technique and can act as well; from his Lensky it appears that he also has the sort of soulful quality that you need for Siegfried, Albrecht etc.

• Like 2

Who was the last principal promoted from the 'ranks' of the RB? I think that Matthew Ball could become a danseur noble. He has the physique and technique and can act as well; from his Lensky it appears that he also has the sort of soulful quality that you need for Siegfried, Albrecht etc.

And Reece Clarke was mightily impressive in Symphonic. Nevertheless, these are both very young dancers and recent recruits. It's the gap in the middle that is becoming ever more obvious.

When was he promoted?  The ROH website still has him as an Artist. 

My apologies, Nina.  I misread the listing in the summer brochure.  Yes, he ought to be promoted, then.

Of course, Benjamin left as well. Whilst I'd agree that nobody might have anticipated losing four principal ballerinas at the end of one season, surely there should have been at least one female First Soloist deemed suitable for promotion if due care to Company structure were being observed. Mind you, there wasn't a suitable male First Soloist at that time either.

Is there now?  

Benjamin was, I think, 49? so her retirement was hardly unexpected, though.  

The long term future of Morera and Watson, neither of whom has much of a presence in the classics (particularly Watson) cannot be guaranteed either surely, 

I shall be interested to see whether Watson's relatively "lighter" workload/late promotion results in him having greater longevity.  From comments made recently on these boards, I think quite a few people would welcome that :)

• Like 2

Campbell & Zucchetti don't have the physique for danseur noble roles so I hope they don't get promoted any further. 

Ed Watson is a Principal and he isn't really a danseur noble, even though he is tall. I don't think he has done Albrecht or Siegfried. 

McCrae doesn't really have the physique yet he shines in the princely roles. I actually assumed you had to be tall and of a certain build to do the danseur noble roles but McRae certainly threw that assumption out of the window!

Ed Watson is a Principal and he isn't really a danseur noble, even though he is tall. I don't think he has done Albrecht or Siegfried. 

McCrae doesn't really have the physique yet he shines in the princely roles. I actually assumed you had to be tall and of a certain build to do the danseur noble roles but McRae certainly threw that assumption out of the window!

Watson certainly used to dance Albrecht, although not this time round if I recall correctly.

My apologies, Nina.  I misread the listing in the summer brochure.  Yes, he ought to be promoted, then.

Is there now?  

Benjamin was, I think, 49? so her retirement was hardly unexpected, though.

Possibly not, although given her excellent physical presentation and seeming ability to choose the repertoire she wished to dance, not inevitable. The fact remains that there wasn't one female First Soloist deemed suitable for promotion even under slightly dramatic circumstances.

I think AnnaMK means ready to be a Principal NOW, Bleaden94.  Matthew Ball and Nicol Edmonds are both definite contenders two or three years hence, and they both have danseur noble potential, for sure. 

I also agree that Yasmine Naghdi is definite promotion material;  not Principal yet, but she is ready to move on up a notch.  Emma Maguire is also a lovely dancer who could go further.

• Like 1

He has definitely done Albrecht, and not too badly, although as you say it isn't really 'his thing'.  I can't recall having seen him as Siegfried, and if I recall correctly he has only done Albrecht two or three times.

I think K. O'Hare has shown himself to be wisely prudent in the promotions department.  One thing I do hope happens next year is that with the planned departure of C. Acosta, the defined role of 'Principal Guest Artist' - such as was created especially for Guillem - is additionally retired in the hope that those specifically dedicated funds now extant - and those only - are ultilised to (i) bring in a range of individual/international dancers for a very few performances ONLY in order to share their specific expertise in a dedicated repertory for which they have an established reputation or for the creation of a new work surrounding that same and (ii) also allowing for those emergency situations such as can sometimes - as in the past two seasons - arise.  This way all other monies now designated to support RB artists can be safely dedicated to the development of that core company itself and its vitally important apprentice programme (which I understand is largely independently funded) such as has been created under K. O'Hare's regime.   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

I saw his Albrecht although it was an unlucky performance because he fell in the entrechats & sat out the rest of the music. Fortunately, he hadn't injured himself & was able to continue. He has a good physique (close to dancer noble) but it seems to be personal choice/style preference that taken him out of the classical rep. McRae I just don't find princely in temperament or look - although I admit I used to ;)

• Like 1

As I wrote, willing to be corrected and didn't know that. It explains her absence although I stand by my reservations over her Myrtha.

I disagree - I thought her Myrthe was splendid. I had SO many marvelous pics of her from the photo call!  :-)

I have the feeling that there won't be many promotions this year - most of those I think should get a promotion, were promoted last year, or have been suffering with a long term injury. Though there are some I would LIKE to see go further of course!

Watson certainly used to dance Albrecht, although not this time round if I recall correctly.

No, I don't know whether that was his decision, with Benjamin retired, or O'Hare's, or both.  It's a shame, really: I'd grown to like his Albrecht a lot.

I can't recall having seen him as Siegfried, and if I recall correctly he has only done Albrecht two or three times.

No, he's never danced Siegfried that I'm aware of.  I have a feeling he once said it was a role he wouldn't have minded having a go at, but I may be mistaken.  Regardless, I've probably spent part of every Swan Lake I've seen in this run wondering how he would have done in it (barring the Black Swan pdd), which I guess is perhaps indicative that I've felt that some of the Siegfrieds have been a bit lacking in the interpretation department.  As for Albrecht, I'd guess he did 3, maybe 4, runs of it.  

One thing I do hope happens next year is that with the planned departure of C. Acosta, the defined role of 'Principal Guest Artist' - such as was created especially for Guillem - is additionally retired

Good point, Bruce.

I saw his Albrecht although it was an unlucky performance because he fell in the entrechats & sat out the rest of the music. Fortunately, he hadn't injured himself & was able to continue. He has a good physique (close to dancer noble) but it seems to be personal choice/style preference that taken him out of the classical rep. McRae I just don't find princely in temperament or look - although I admit I used to ;)

I don't remember Watson sitting out the rest, although I do remember the fall (I must have seen most of his Albrechts, because I kept booking Benjamin's Giselles in case they were her last!).  I have a feeling he may have changed to brises in later runs, but I might be thinking of someone else.  I'm not sure to what extent it was *personal* choice not to do the Classical rep - he clearly doesn't feel that he's Classical Prince material - or whether it was his AD's.  After all, it appears that Dowell didn't really cast him in anything that required serious partnering, and it's difficult to do the Classical roles without that!

I tend to agree with you about McRae: I don't find him entirely convincing as a Prince either, not quite sure why.  OTOH, I haven't had much else to compare him to in the current run of Lakes! 

Ooooh this invitation to nominate RB dancers for promotion may have come a little too early in the year but it is absolutely irresistible.

Taking account of performances this season and before, I would like to see the following dancers promoted in 2015:

Matthew Ball from Artist straight to Soloist. [His Lensky was amazing and the facility he has shown in Untouchable and Draft Works  demonstrates that he is an artist of rare talent and versatility; he is also tall, naturally elegant and very good-looking; surely a star in the making.]

Mayara Magri from Artist to First Artist. [Only recently coming into her own (partly as a consequence of injury perhaps), notably as Mercedes and in the Swan Lake pas de trois, but definitely ‘one to watch’]

Anna-Rose O’Sullivan from Artist to First Artist [ A lovely Cupid in Don Q and a strong member of the pas de trois team in Swan Lake, she draws the eye in the corps and clearly has soloist potential even though she has missed a lot of time through injury]

Donald Thom from Artist to First Artist [Another very good Lensky and an excellent tapping Mad Hatter in Alice show that he is another dancer who could go places.]

I would not promote anyone who is currently a First Artist. It is a curious rank with a mix of dancers seemingly rewarded for time served in the corps alongside others who are clearly ‘on the up’. I accept that a case can be made for both Nicole Edmonds and Marcellino Sambe, but they have only just arrived at that level and some of their dancing this year has, to my eyes, appeared a little rough around the edges.

Francesca Hayward from Soloist to First Soloist [in her Clara, Rhapsody, Alice and many more minor roles she had shown that she can ‘own the stage’ and enchant us with her technical facility, presentation and characterisation; another potentially ‘complete package’ and future star.]

Fumi Kaneko from Soloist to First Soloist [Despite being out for over a year with her injury, she seems to be catching up fast and is simply lovely in everything she does; but she may have to wait a further year.]

Other strong candidates for promotion from Soloist to First Soloist at some stage are: James Hay, Yasmine Naghdi and Beatrix Stix-Brunell. Emma Maguire is consistently impressive; but has her moment passed? Claire Calvert has a number of advocates on here but I am not convinced that she is ready for promotion or that she will one day become a Principal.

There seem to be quite a lot of people of Soloist rank who should have gone further some years ago or who should, perhaps, in view of the current strength among younger dancers, not even be there.

I would not promote anyone who is currently a First Soloist to Principal. Indeed, at this moment in time, not all Principals (male or female) shine as brightly as one would expect, especially when compared to the minority who really do. So, much as I like to see dancers rising through the ranks and enjoy it very much when, as currently, younger dancers are cast in leading roles, maybe, just maybe, there is room for another ballerina to join from outside. The fact that a delay has been announced in the casting for Period 1 of the 2015/16 season may point to changes at Principal level which are not yet confirmed. Speculation on speculation............. but that’s part of the fun of this thread.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 7

I'm less than happy about some of the comments regarding McRae.  I don't actually see him as being that short, he's only fractionally shorter than Nureyev was and taller than Baryshnikov and no one ever questioned their ability to dance premiere danseur roles.

McRae is a technician like few others, he is one of those incredible dancers who can perform a sequence of steps perfectly, no cheating, no subtle changes to disguise inadequacies:  he is the real deal.  At any one time there are only a tiny number of dancers with these qualities, I immediately think of Emmanuel Thibault in Paris and the recently retired Thomas Lund in Denmark as having the rare abilities that McRae possesses.  As far as partnering goes I've never seen him make an error and he was perfectly matched with both Cojocaru and Benjamin.  Now he dances with Obrastzova and Osipova two of the world' greatest ballerinas to great acclaim.  For me he is the jewel in the Royal Ballet's crown.    

• Like 18

........at this moment in time, not all Principals (male or female) shine as brightly as one would expect, especially when compared to the minority who really do. 

I have quoted my own post in order to support that of MAB. McRae is one of the RB Principals who shine brightly for me even though I do not necessarily like him in every role.

• Like 1

Ooooh this invitation to nominate RB dancers for promotion may have come a little too early in the year but it is absolutely irresistible.

Taking account of performances this season and before, I would like to see the following dancers promoted in 2015:

Matthew Ball from Artist straight to Soloist. [His Lensky was amazing and the facility he has shown in Untouchable and Draft Works  demonstrates that he is an artist of rare talent and versatility; he is also tall, naturally elegant and very good-looking; surely a star in the making.]

Mayara Magri from Artist to First Artist. [Only recently coming into her own (partly as a consequence of injury perhaps), notably as Mercedes and in the Swan Lake pas de trois, but definitely ‘one to watch’]

Anna-Rose O’Sullivan from Artist to First Artist [ A lovely Cupid in Don Q and a strong member of the pas de trois team in Swan Lake, she draws the eye in the corps and clearly has soloist potential even though she has missed a lot of time through injury]

Donald Thom from Artist to First Artist [Another very good Lensky and an excellent tapping Mad Hatter in Alice show that he is another dancer who could go places.]

I would not promote anyone who is currently a First Artist. It is a curious rank with a mix of dancers seemingly rewarded for time served in the corps alongside others who are clearly ‘on the up’. I accept that a case can be made for both Nicole Edmonds and Marcellino Sambe, but they have only just arrived at that level and some of their dancing this year has, to my eyes, appeared a little rough around the edges.

Francesca Hayward from Soloist to First Soloist [in her Clara, Rhapsody, Alice and many more minor roles she had shown that she can ‘own the stage’ and enchant us with her technical facility, presentation and characterisation; another potentially ‘complete package’ and future star.]

Fumi Kaneko from Soloist to First Soloist [Despite being out for over a year with her injury, she seems to be catching up fast and is simply lovely in everything she does; but she may have to wait a further year.]

Other strong candidates for promotion from Soloist to First Soloist at some stage are: James Hay, Yasmine Naghdi and Beatrix Stix-Brunell. Emma Maguire is consistently impressive; but has her moment passed? Claire Calvert has a number of advocates on here but I am not convinced that she is ready for promotion or that she will one day become a Principal.

There seem to be quite a lot of people of Soloist rank who should have gone further some years ago or who should, perhaps, in view of the current strength among younger dancers, not even be there.

I would not promote anyone who is currently a First Soloist to Principal. Indeed, at this moment in time, not all Principals (male or female) shine as brightly as one would expect, especially when compared to the minority who really do. So, much as I like to see dancers rising through the ranks and enjoy it very much when, as currently, younger dancers are cast in leading roles, maybe, just maybe, there is room for another ballerina to join from outside. The fact that a delay has been announced in the casting for Period 1 of the 2015/16 season may point to changes at Principal level which are not yet confirmed. Speculation on speculation............. but that’s part of the fun of this thread.

Not forgetting Hayward's very impressive debut as Manon, too!

• Like 1

Kevin O'Hare took a break from promotion troubles: he was in La Scala tonight to watch Giselle with Osipova and ....Polunin.

Anyone else miss Polunin and wish he had never left? He and Cuthbertson had a fabulous partnership!

• Like 4