Miko Fogarty

aballetlife

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard this morning that Miko Fogerty is to join BRB!!

This probably wrong thread but couldn't find a more general one.

Am so pleased for her and will now get a chance to see dance live!!

• Like 3

I am sure there are a lot of lovely grads coming out of training, who are all desperate and deserving of a job. Every job taken is at the 'expense' of someone else who has worked hard, sacrificed and wants to put all their years of training to work. Good luck and congratulations to anyone who secures a job - especially in such a fantastic company - I dont care where they have trained.

• Like 9

LinMM thank you for nailing your colours to the mast! Its encouraging when people have the confidence to say they are delighted or excited by a new talent. It's easier to be critical but if everyone took this stance it would make appreciating any art form rather bleak - especially for us newbies x

• Like 1

She is a superb dancer from what I have seen on social media.

This has to be a bit of a game changer though for BRB as Miko has, if instagram figures real, 168 k followers, so that must be unusual for an artist to come in with such a following.

Edited by chaperone
  • Like 2

Yes Lin I saw the news about Miko. I think you are the only person I know of who is a fan - everyone else seems fairly lukewarm about her to be honest. Given that her family lives in America I am surprised an English company is a first choice. Good luck to her though. I'm sure Bintley will be pleased if she brings some her Facebook and Instagram fans with her.

She is a superb dancer from what I have seen on social media.

This has to be a bit of a game changer though for BRB as Miko has, if instagram figures real, 168 k followers, so that must be unusual for an artist to come in with such a following.

She has taken part in numerous competitions and been incredibly successful at promoting herself on social media. She is very well known within the ballet world and almost a celebrity before she starts. I wonder if this is a good thing or a bad thing? I am also aware of a couple of other students who are building their social media profiles and wonder whether we should be encouraging our own children to do similar? As you say Chaperone, coming with a ready-made following wont do BRB any harm.

• Like 3

kind of taking my own post off topic but I feel Instagram and social media are so big with that generation of dancers!

like so many teenage dancers have thousands and thousands of followers on Instagram and such, enough to hold their own meet and greets etc. and be offered modelling jobs for dance companies... is Instagram the way forward?

• Like 1

kind of taking my own post off topic but I feel Instagram and social media are so big with that generation of dancers!

like so many teenage dancers have thousands and thousands of followers on Instagram and such, enough to hold their own meet and greets etc. and be offered modelling jobs for dance companies... is Instagram the way forward?

I, too, hope not. It's a bit like those TV talent-spotting shows to cast new singers in musicals, while potentially better candidates who go the traditional route don't get much of a look-in. It should all be about talent and ability, rather than how high your profile is. 

• Like 4

Well it's a bit of a long personal story why I am such a fan of Miko.....though of course I know there are other brilliant young dancers out there.

I recently went to the preview show of this years RBS graduating year and there are some real stars in that group..... who if the RB should offer contracts to I hope they will take up.

So no Miko is not the only good dancer out there but for one reason and another Ive been following her for the last three years and I know her aim was to dance with the Royal Ballet.......which she has now achieved.......through lots of hard work......never mind her followers......I think that's just the way young people are......I'm only just understanding just what Instagram actually is in fact!!

It's nice to see young dancers actually achieving their aim.......though if she had been my own daughter I don't think I would have put her through quite so much exposure.

To her credit Miko seems not to have been too affected by this and seems a delightful young lady.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see with this crop of "Internet famous" young dancers how far they each progress. I`m principally talking about the ones who appeared on the First Position documentary.Also ones who are regulars at YAGP/Prix,etc,that we can see on You Tube. If I remember correctly,Alys Shee, another "young star" from Canada, is also now at BRB. Wonder how many of them will still be in the Corps or Soloists in 10 years time,and if any will by then be Principals?

Edited by thequays
  • Like 3

I only made that comment as this has happened in the past at BRB ie they have had the home grown students slogging away under Bintleys eye over the winter months and then are told there are no contracts, meanwhile a student comes in from abroad and is given one. I most certainly am not disputing Miss Fogarty's talent or that she deserves her contract. I think it is a fantastic thing all round and reassuring that a privately trained student can get so far with sheer hard work )I don't think social media has anything to do with it.

Exciting times!

• Like 5

Being pedantic, MF has not achieved her aim of dancing with the Royal Ballet. She is joining Birmingham Royal Ballet, which is an entirely different company. It will be interesting to see how she gets on. David Bintley has said that if you are up to it you will get lead roles as a very young dancer; you don't have to wait your turn. What I'm not sure about is whether she is at a vocational school in America or whether she is having private lessons. If the latter then the transition to company life may be more difficult than normal particularly if she has not had much opportunity to do pdd work, which was the case with Daniil Simkin who was trained privately by his parents and who initially struggled with partnering (I don't know what he is like now).

• Like 2

Well, the important thing is going to be whether she can attract real-life audience members, not how big her Twitter following is. It was David Bintley who said that BRB should be trying to attract older audience members, so hopefully he isn't being seduced by the large social-media following of young foreign dancers who are well known from the international competitions.

At least Miko Fogarty genuinely seems to want to join the Royal Ballet (and I assume BRB is included in that, although I wonder how soon she'll want to move to the London company); she's been saying for years that that's her goal, so hopefully she's prepared to do what it takes to fit in with the style and repertoire of the company.

• Like 1

Winning international competitions and having a huge following on social media is one thing (bravo), living the demanding and exhausting life of a professional dancer is a totally different ball game. Dancing competitive solos is very different to dancing in/blending into the corps de ballet, night after night, being amongst equally talented,competitive and ambitieus dancers... one becomes a small fish in a big pond. I know of several youngsters in Russia, Europe as well as in the UK who were unable to make that mental transition after having won numerous competitions. It is a huge adjustment for any young student dancer to enter professional life! 

IMO those who trained at a vocational school have an advantage when starting out their career: they have also trained "in a group" and will find it easier to dance professionally "in a group", they have also learned "the style" of the mother company compared to those who trained on their own.

If out of all those exceptionally talented RBS Graduates only one (as far as I know) was offered a RB contract (a few others join the Aud Jebsen Apprentice Scheme) it just shows how very selective the RB is and how hard it is to join.

I wish the young lady success as much as I wish all the others joining BRB success in their future career.

Edited by Nina G.
  • Like 2

Dancers who train at schools with 'associated' companies often dance in the corps in that company's productions, which is a good introduction to company life even if they do not end up joining that particular company.

• Like 1

Yes Lin I saw the news about Miko. I think you are the only person I know of who is a fan - everyone else seems fairly lukewarm about her to be honest. Given that her family lives in America I am surprised an English company is a first choice. Good luck to her though. I'm sure Bintley will be pleased if she brings some her Facebook and Instagram fans with her.

Although MF has trained in the States, she doesn't have US nationality, which could mean getting a work visa for the States virtually impossible at this stage in her career. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to read she's signed a contract and with such a great company.

I was starting to get concerned after all the reports that she had already turned down several contracts, the offers won't keep on coming forever so good to read that she'll be heading to Birmingham!

• Like 2

Miko has been at the Indiana Ballet Consevatory for the past couple of years now I think.....which looks like a vocational school anyway.

They seem to get plenty of opportunities to perform and fairly comprehensive training(Vaganova style) there.

I'm only posting this here because this question was asked here but probably best to discuss anything to do with Miko on the thread started in Doing Ballet ......