My Diet Diary

Lisa O`Brien

Well I think I must be cracking up in my old age [48 in November,so no surprise there].I normally go to my slimming group ,with Naomi`s permission,every other week, to save money. Well, guess which dopey so and so went this morning after going last week, and didn`t even realise she had been for 2 consecutive weeks until hours later? Sometimes I despair for my sanity,I really do !!  Anyway,at least I lost another two and a half pounds this week,so it wasn`t a complete waste of time. Was looking on the website the other night for rooms at the Fitzwilliam Hotel on Great Victoria Street in Belfast. It`s literally next door to the Grand Opera House,where I will be going twice in November to see Swan Lake,and will hopefully by then be nice and slim and will have something nice to wear,not so much for the Thursday matinee, but for the Saturday evening performance. Let`s just say the rooms,being a 5 star hotel aren`t exactly cheap. But I said I wanted to treat myself,so treat myself I will.!!  I`ll have to wait another couple of weeks until I can afford to book my hotel room ,but it looks lovely on the website. Must keep my wits about me and try and remember NOT to go to the slim 4 Life group next week. !

• Like 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it is a few years ago now but last time I went to Belfast (stayed in Jurys, also very handy for theatre) a friend booked last minute for the Saturday evening performance and also got a ridiculously cheap room at the Fitzwilliam via Lastminute.com.  It's worthwhile to keep checking.  I got a really good deal in London after Yaffa mentioned an offer on here and was able to cancel the more expensive room I already had booked.

• Like 1

I know it is a few years ago now but last time I went to Belfast (stayed in Jurys, also very handy for theatre) a friend booked last minute for the Saturday evening performance and also got a ridiculously cheap room at the Fitzwilliam via Lastminute.com.  It's worthwhile to keep checking.  I got a really good deal in London after Yaffa mentioned an offer on here and was able to cancel the more expensive room I already had booked.

Thanks Janet.x

Well back from my doctor`s appointment. I told her the dates of my last four periods,which I had decided to note down. I told her the start and stop dates of each one and she said it means I an definately Menopausal. Have to go back tomorrow to the clinic but to see the nurse who will do some blood tests which will absolutely confirm it,but she said after what I had told her she can say almost certainly that the Menopause is what it is. Oh,she also told me I have high cholesterol levels,which I never knew before,and she told me to lay off the full fat Cheddar cheese [NOOOOOO !!!!]. I told her I had no other menopausal symptoms apart from the erratic periods and she said I will probably start to get night sweats within the next couple of months,if not sooner. The joys of being female,eh?

Lisa if you are entering the menopause it doesn't change the benefits of a Mirena coil - I would positively recommend one!

Thanks Sarah.Yes,I might just get one fitted again. Went to see the nurse this morning at the doctor`s surgery. Got there about 9.20.There were already lots of people in the queue in front of me.[Don`t know if it`s the same at other clinics but at ours to see the nurse,we don`t make an appointment,we take a card with a number on it. It`s your turn when your number is called]. They were only up to seeing number 6. I was number 37. Waited to see her for two hours. GRR.

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve had a really bad day today. Felt really,really depressed [i suffer from life long depression anyway,as well as a host of other illnesses,both mental and physical]. Been eating well and sensibly for the last few days. Salad every day. One day tuna salad,yesterday a corned beef salad and tonight a ham salad. All absolutely delicious. Was at the cinema the other night. Instead of going for the Pick n Mix and large fizzy drink, I took 2 bananas and a large bottle of water with me. Was proud of myself. But today,OMG. I haven`t exactly helped myself by going on Pinterest and pinning images of cakes to my "Yummy Cakes" Board !!  I utterly tortured myself looking at them all. To such an extent, that at about 8 o`clock this evening I went to the local shop. I needed cake so badly it was unbearable. I bought a very large jam and buttercream swiss roll and a large bar of Galaxy too,for good measure. Both were polished off completely in around 15 minutes. It is the first sweet thing I have tasted in weeks. Afterwards I hated myself. I wished I hadn`t been so stupid and greedy. I used to attend  Overeaters Anonymous,but I left years ago . I have Social Phobic Disorder, the most extreme form of it,and sitting around in a group talking openly about myself and my food addiction was like pulling teeth. I used to find it so traumatic some weeks that I used to come home from a meeting, burst into tears,and ,you guessed it, eat to make myself feel better. How insane is that??  But,tomorrow is another day,as they say. I will be having a lovely salad again,and also fruit.  [i eat 2 Pink Lady apples every day and 2 bananas every day as well]. Just hoping I can put today out of my mind. What is done is done and I can`t undo it. 

You're right to put it behind you and think positively about today. One day's binge is not important in the long run.

Have you considered a small daily/weekly treat to try and reduce the deprivation feeling?

In case it helps I get really nice and sweet low sugar 'rhubarb and custard' sweets in Aldi. They do other flavours as well. .......

• Like 2

Hi Sarah. I`ve tried the small treat every day thing. It always escalates into a big treat every day. Also at OA we are supposed to abstain completely from what we call our Trigger Foods.These are foods that trigger a serious binge that you can`t control. Even though I no longer go to OA meetings I do try and stick to this principle. [A good tip for anyone who has something "naughty" they know they are not supposed to eat,whether it`s chocolate , slices of pizza or whatever. Put it in the sink and pour washing up liquid all over it. It`s pointless just throwing it out. If you`re that desperate for it,some people [not me, thankfully] in OA have been known to retrieve it from the bin and eat it. But if it`s covered in washing up liquid then it`s impossible to eat.]. I just got up and I saw the empty Galaxy wrapper I left in the kitchen last night. Confronted with the reality of what I did . I was hoping to be feeling all upbeat and positive today,but TBH i`m not. But I will get back on the horse,so to speak,and start again. 

Lisa, I believe you said you were pre menopausal? I have never had binge eating problems before or since but I had an early menopause and apart from being horrendous I had binge problems with biscuits and cakes that I never ate before or since. I couldn't leave them or ice lollies alone. It did awful things to my weight and it was so hard to shift. It was like I had no willpower at all. I wish I had some helpful suggestions. I would just try to start over and keep going. Good luck. x

• Like 1

Lisa, I believe you said you were pre menopausal? I have never had binge eating problems before or since but I had an early menopause and apart from being horrendous I had binge problems with biscuits and cakes that I never ate before or since. I couldn't leave them or ice lollies alone. It did awful things to my weight and it was so hard to shift. It was like I had no willpower at all. I wish I had some helpful suggestions. I would just try to start over and keep going. Good luck. x

Hi Fiz. Unfortunately my binge eating is nothing to do with being pre menopausal. I`ve been like this ever since I stopped dancing in 1992. The fact is,I am addicted to food. The wrong sorts of food. It is my drug of choice. I am a teetotaller,I stopped smoking and never touched a single cigarette since I stopped in 2004. I don`t spend all my money on handbags like some women do. My "thing" is food. People have said to me that everyone has a weakness, or something they need in their life. Mine is food. OA used to help,up to a point,in that it gave me useful ideas of how to help myself. But because of my Social Phobia , going to the meetings used to actually make it worse. Other people at the meetings only had that [compulsive overeating] as a problem. I have a whole load of other problems as well, so it wasn`t as simple for me. I got the tape measure out again this morning. I have 46 inch hips. Not good.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Lisa

I really sympathise.  I have lost 2 dress sizes (I couldn't bring myself to weigh before I started) basically through fear.  I am going on a very extreme outwards bounds trip with the school next weekend.  

I know once I have one sweet thing others will follow, so I just don't have any.  I will eat an entire packet of ham, or a chicken breast, if necessary but it has to be all or nothing with me.  

The only exception to this is a chocolate protein shake I have either before or after a gym session.  With my daughter now away, and working in a school with a gym, I park slap bang in front of the gym when I arrive in the morning, and go straight after school.  Again it is based on shame and fear - once I have got in the door I'm OK, the sixth formers and I co-exist pretty well (hooray for big headphones).  

I will need to modify my diet in the summer, I can't afford to feed a family of 5 on what I am currently eating, and I basically hate the food I am eating.  But I have learnt to cope with it.  I have also asked the PE staff to shame me back into the gym when we get back from the outwards bounds trip.

My basic summer rules are:  accept that sweet foods just don't work.  drink 2 litres of water a day (cures so many other cravings).  At least half each meal to be vegetables (this includes breakfast in the holidays).  It holds me steady when I just need to mark time, maybe you need to step off the roundabout for a while?

You will notice the words "shame" and "fear" appear in this post many times.  Not proud, but sometimes that is what it takes.  Looking forwards, I have already committed to next year's Race for Life with my daughter, and promised we will run it!

I hope things go well for you.

Meadowblythe

• Like 2

I think you are both very brave to admit this. I didn't talk to anyone about it. I hated myself for many years. I used to be a size 6\8. I put on weight over winter because I wasn't going to ballet but now we have Tessa and we have to walk her, the weight it is coming off again. Good luck to you both.

• Like 1

As I've said before the trigger for me would be the ' you are not allowed to eat' - any food that is forbidden becomes more enticing and would be on my mind more than it would have been normally.

You say 'local shop' - how local is local Lisa? If it is walking distance then one tip I can give you is to not take your purse with you. If I get a craving for something - usually chocolate and I think it is hormonal - I deliberately only take my house keys and a £1 coin with me. That way I get my sweet fix but it is limited and I try and tell myself that the walk there and back is also compensating for all the extra calories

• Like 3

Lisa - I read your story yesterday from beginning to end and I have to say that your determination to lose weight against so many difficulties is inspirational.  I need to lose some weight too and because it's 'only' 4 kilos I have been negligent about it.  I did some conversion yesterday and realised that that's about 10 lbs, which is far too much for a little person - 5' 3" !   Anyway, today I have been very good and I am determined to keep it up.  I read an article yesterday in which a doctor had done a survey and he stressed that exercising was more important than being skinny. If you're a couch potato and skinny it won't help you.  So I walked to the supermarket and back, carrying my shopping and I did a few exercises too. Of course I do class twice a week and demonstrate when I teach, but I have been eating biscuits and bread and chocolate in quantities and I know it's not healthy - I have cholesterol issues.  Anyway,  I have three weeks until the school recital, when I have to go on stage in front of everyone and I don't want to look like a little plump old lady! So thank you for pushing me to do something about it!

Lisa - I read your story yesterday from beginning to end and I have to say that your determination to lose weight against so many difficulties is inspirational.  I need to lose some weight too and because it's 'only' 4 kilos I have been negligent about it.  I did some conversion yesterday and realised that that's about 10 lbs, which is far too much for a little person - 5' 3" !   Anyway, today I have been very good and I am determined to keep it up.  I read an article yesterday in which a doctor had done a survey and he stressed that exercising was more important than being skinny. If you're a couch potato and skinny it won't help you.  So I walked to the supermarket and back, carrying my shopping and I did a few exercises too. Of course I do class twice a week and demonstrate when I teach, but I have been eating biscuits and bread and chocolate in quantities and I know it's not healthy - I have cholesterol issues.  Anyway,  I have three weeks until the school recital, when I have to go on stage in front of everyone and I don't want to look like a little plump old lady! So thank you for pushing me to do something about it!

You`re more than welcome,Dance*is*life. If I can help others on here as well as myself then that`s terrific.

• Like 1

wow thanks to all the brave people  - it made me realise just how many of us are battling the same issues. It is a fact that nature has programmed us all to crave foods with that deadly combo of fat and sugar. and to overeat in times of great abundance - which in 2015 is all the time right? So no-one should beat themselves up for feeling like that. A few people have super human will power but most of us don't.  I have tried as I have got older, to reduce my food intake to match my slowing metabolism, but no it hasn't happened today either. The only solution for me, is exercise... and more exercise. This has been a challenge to put it mildly. I  was the kind of kid who no-one wanted on their team in school games. Clumsy just didn't cover it. and as for going into a gym - eek macho sweaty nightmare. Then I discovered running - indoors - on  a treadmill. At first I could only manage short bursts of a few minutes. The first time I ran 5k I thought my lungs had caught fire.

I have definitely lapsed in recent times - but having read all the great posts here I am setting myself a bonkers new challenge that means I must start daily walking right now!

Hey Lisa just go for it (the walk that is)! There is a saying that you should listen to your body, but honestly if I listened to mine it would never get off the sofa.

OK,the weight loss has halted. So have decided to take drastic action. I have been forcing myself to not only go for walks every day,and dance [as I sometimes do] in the living room [good job there are no neighbours opposite !] to pop and rock songs,but for the last two days i`ve been "living on Pink Lady apples". OK,I know that just living on apples is not a very sensible idea. But if it can help to just shed a few pounds to kick start things again,i`ll do what I have to do. WARNING... Do NOT just live on apples !!  I can`t imagine it being particularly healthy. Yes, I know i`m doing it temporarily for a few days but i`ll go back to 3 or 4 balanced meals tomorrow. Including a yummy salad.  Don`t try and copy me on this one.!!

OK I`ve just read an online article in the Daily Mail that says dentists are warning people to not eat too many apples,especially the very sweet variety,as they contain so much sugar. You can`t win ,can you?

I wouldn't believe everything The Daily Mail says! Maybe you should ask your own dentist. One of the side effects of this heat is that I'm not hungry! ;)

Yes, Fiz. Like yourself,I rarely take any notice of the Daily Fail. Seem to be about as credible as Fox News.!

• Like 1

Everything is bad for you in excess!  Lisa, I wouldn't worry to much if you are only doing this for a couple of days but do be careful.  I quite often watch Lorraine in the mornings and she has recently featured a "Get ready for your bikini" eating and exercising plan.  They have mentioned over and over again about the need to have a balanced diet and use the "hand portion control" method for proteins and carbohydrates.  Your hand should be able to cover the portion.  It may be worth looking on the website, I believe various recipes are on there to give you some ideas.

• Like 2

apparently to avoid acid erosion to teeth from eating fruit, you are supposed to eat a piece of cheese afterwards. Not so good for the diet, but its a great excuse if you need cheese

Everything is bad for you in excess!  Lisa, I wouldn't worry to much if you are only doing this for a couple of days but do be careful.  I quite often watch Lorraine in the mornings and she has recently featured a "Get ready for your bikini" eating and exercising plan.  They have mentioned over and over again about the need to have a balanced diet and use the "hand portion control" method for proteins and carbohydrates.  Your hand should be able to cover the portion.  It may be worth looking on the website, I believe various recipes are on there to give you some ideas.

Cheers,Janet. I`ll check it out.

In my local supermarket this weekend, a small girl aged around 2yrs was repeatedly and energetically stamping on a lettuce, while her horrified and embarrassed mother pleaded with her to stop. Do you think she was a reincarnation from weight watchers?