RBS Junior Associate (JA) Questions

Alfred71

Hi, first time posting, although I have been following threads on here for a while. Please excuse my rambling..!

My DD's ballet teacher suggested she might be suitable to apply for JAs a year ago; unfortunately we soon found out that she was too young (Year 2), but neither of us had any idea about it really. Went a bit mad finding out about all of it last year, esp what they 'apparently' look for, but that was of no consequence really as she couldn't apply. Really it just served to make me question whether it was the right thing to do, but I had a year to wait before she was eligible and would think about it seriously then...

Have just sent off the application form for this year (didn't do much more thinking!), after many taking and re-taking of photographs and re-sizing them - which involved the ridiculous task of emailing them to my iPhone then sending from my iPhone in a smaller size to my Mac = massive headache and equally massive glass of wine required! ;-)  Now in a panic, what if the ********** photos didn't actually upload?! Etc.. etc..

DD has done a JA experience lesson, which she loved and I know she is excited about the prospect of auditioning, but as her Mum there are a few questions I'm sure more experienced people might be able to answer...

There are 4 audition days in London as opposed to max 2 elsewhere - obviously this is because more will apply in London, but do they actually offer more classes in London so similar chance of getting in? Any idea how many apply for how many places? I know this shouldn't be important...!

Are they really just looking for a certain body type/ potential body type, despite ability? If you get in, do they actually assess every year and could potentially assess you out for whatever reason? (what reason?!)

I suppose I just want to know as a Mum the potential pitfalls so I can be prepared as much as possible if we're extremely lucky and she even gets offered a place and equally if she doesn't. 

Thanks for reading if you got to the end haha! 

• Like 1

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello- i'm fairly new to this forum too, but a bit further 'down the line' than you.My dd is currently a year 6Ja ( 2nd time of auditioning) so has just (and i can't believe i'm saying this........) auditioned for vocational school for next year. She didn't get final auditions,( relieved!) but has been offered a place at the RBS summer school.(chuffed!)

All i can say is be prepared for a total emotional rollercoaster, - sleepless nights, tears and tantrums. ( that was me, not dd!)

It's such a 'ridiculous' world ( I don't mean that in an offensive way at all) where all these beautifully talented children often dedicate their lives for so few places etc at vocational school and eventually dance companies.

If it's what your dd wants, you have to go for it, just be prepared for heartache. It's a tough old world, and i think the biggest quality they need is resilience and determination. Nice feet, physicality, the right proportions and good old technique help too ;0)

Oh, and you can drive yourself crazy trying to work out what the RBS are looking for........

Having re-read all that, I'm worried it sounds liike I'm on a bit of a downer, I'm not- I wouldn't change the last year for anything....... Dd has had a fabulous time as a Ja, had some wonderful experiences, with the RBS and has come on in leaps and bounds ( literally) as a dancer! And we have summer school to look forward to.! She's only on the beginning of this 'journey'......... Who knows where it will take her........?

All the best, :0)

• Like 8

Hi, my dd is a Y5 JA so we have a little experience.

I wouldn't worry at all about body type as you can't control that and they are very young! The audition is similar to a lesson. If she has any attribute ie nice arched feet, encourage her to show them off, but make sure she doesn't put any pressure on herself and just treats it as an extra special class. Nice new ballet shoes or leotard. Make sure you allow plenty of time to get to the venue. It's a special day, enjoy it :-)

Dd is absolutely loves all Her JA classes, they are wonderful. She's also already had fantastic opportunities to do other courses etc in addition from being a JA which she has enjoyed and really has been made to feel very special. I am sure she will treasure those memories in years to come.

The only pitiful we've come across of being a JA are the potential disappointments of not being for selected things, which my dd has already experienced not being selected for RBS summer school which upset her, but with a bit of TLC at home, she soon forgot and as she loves ballet she doesn't really mind as long as she's still dancing. She would still love dance regardless of anything, so that thankfully gives her a lot of resilience.

You can't be is assessed out of JAs. It is only when she would apply to be an MA in year 7, she may not be offered another place I believe, correct me anyone if I am wrong?

There are other associate schemes run that you can audition for too apart from RBS, Elmhurst run an amazing one too. So, if your dd is really keen to do an associate scheme it maybe worth applying for two.

Good luck and enjoy your audition day :-)

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

Yes, the audition for Mids takes place at the same audition for White Lodge- you just have to tick the Mids box on the application form. The results for that take a longer time, as ( i believe, and correct me if i'm wrong) ) priority is given to those who are offered places at WL, and turn them down, or to those offered final auditions..... . :0)

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies everyone, helpful links as well spannerandpony, will have a look at those. That has really allayed my fears and sort of confirmed that we should just see the audition as an enjoyable experience and if something comes out of it that's a bonus!

Gowiththeflow, yes I'm sure I could drive myself bonkers trying to figure out what they're looking for! Sounds like you have had an enjoyable if somewhat emotional journey and well done your dd on summer school. Snowflake thanks for info that's great - good to hear about assessment and glad to hear such an enjoyable experience for your dd. I know it would be an amazing experience for her if it happens, but what will be will be and they were really clear at the JA day if they're not successful fro Year 4 just to audition again next year, so nothing lost and lots to gain by the sound of it.

Thanks all, great forum

• Like 4

My one tip would be to keep it all in perspective. There are soooo few places which is not represented on this forum. This is through no fault it's just that most posters on here have positive JA tales to tell but the vast majority of us don't! The first year my dd auditioned and I found this forum I had convinced myself she had a reasonable chance. BIG MISTAKE! Read the statistics for yourself on the RBS report and you will be much more realistic of chances.

• Like 6

Hi Alfred71 and welcome!

My DS is currently a Yr6 JA, in his second year as a JA. 

I agree that the odds of getting a JA place are not high, but I still think it is worth a shot. I think even the audition process is a great learning experience. When my DS auditioned (not in London) there were probably about 25 auditionees and 3 were offered places. 

I would agree that it is very hard to second-guess what the RBS is looking for, but definitely at Yr4 entry point to JAs it would be unlikely to be based on a particular shape as the children are still so young. I'm sure they do look at feet, technical ability, musicality etc and broadly, potential. 

However if your DD is lucky enough to be offered a JA place then she will learn so much and have some great opportunities! And even if that is as far as it goes, in my opinion anyway, then that is fantastic! My DS has been invited to two workshops at Covent Garden as a JA (he could only attend one of them but it was a great experience!) and has been invited both years to watch a pre-general rehearsal at the Royal Opera House! Pretty cool! 

We are currently waiting to hear about a Mids place. I think yes, it does depend to a certain extent on how many children are looking for places (which they won't know until all vocational school offers have been sent out), but we were certainly advised that the children who get to the final at WL (which my DS didn't) are the ones who get offered Mids places first. Rightly so. We've been told Mids places will be confirmed early April. 

I'm not sure my DS will make it to Mids but regardless, JAs has been a great experience. Hard work, yes, and you do get tied up in all the stress of auditions in Year 6, but the teaching is excellent and my boy has developed and learned so much as a result.

Good luck!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I was told earlier today after the Eastleigh audition, that yr 5 is one of the harder ones to get into... can anyone confirm / deny this.  The lady talking was implying it was because the yr 4s and 5s are in one class and so the spaces will only be for any yr 4s that have left?!

thanks.

Hi Southerndancemum my DD is currently a yr5 JA

There was three of them who got yr5 places last year my DD 1girl and 1 boy.

She absolutely loves her class and I do agree it's the most worthwhile thing we have done for her.

She too has been to Covent Garden which she thoroughly enjoyed , I'm also aware that RBS doesn't always offer places

To just fill the class they will run it smaller . Hope that helps you .

All the best x

• Like 1

I was told earlier today after the Eastleigh audition, that yr 5 is one of the harder ones to get into... can anyone confirm / deny this. The lady talking was implying it was because the yr 4s and 5s are in one class and so the spaces will only be for any yr 4s that have left?!

thanks.

I think it's the other way around - the class is mainly for Y5 with a few chosen Y4 children. Both my DC got in when they were going to Y4 but both times the majority of the children in their JA class were in Y5. It's very rare for a child to be assessed out from JA.

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

But surely the yr 5 s move up to the yr 6 class leaving lots of spaces for either yr 4 or 5 to join?

• Like 1

Actually in London there is one fortnightly mixed girls and boys class Yrs 4 and 5 plus two single sex weekly Yrs 4 and 5 classes then one fortnightly mixed girls and boys Yr 6 class and two single sex weekly Yr 6 classes. Six JA classes in all. So boys can either be in mixed or all boy classes. Same with the girls. Hope that makes sense!

Is that just in London? Does birmingham do that?

Birmingham years 4,5 and 6 are mixed classes. My daughters classes for the last two years (yr 4/5) have been split equally between boys and girls.  The MA class does also have a couple of boys. x 

Just curious - not a big problem at all - bumped into the other auditioning mum today and she told me her DD's audition class will be same day but different time from ours (she morning and we afternoon) and wondered- as the audition email states that they generally select times/days around age and distance from venue- do they try and audition children from the same school together or like them to come separately or is it just chance? After all there could be many other DC from our area auditioning of course!?

I also wondered how they select times/days .... we are on the last day in the afternoon (London) and a part of me thinks they surely would've chosen all they need by then. I know I shouldn't overthink it but do people with previous experience on this forum think that everyone is given a fair chance? Also do many 8 year olds get offered a space compared to 9 yo? Thank you.

Er....i don't know how to break this to you new123 but if the last session is 3.00pm on Friday then that's us too?

Umm....that could mean....er....I'm sure they are saving THE BEST TO LAST!!!!

hahaha I don't think we should read too much into it (although I enjoy reading too much into it)

..oops postman just been and *squeak DD has a yes from YDA Associates!

• Like 8

Super news Petalviolet! You dd will be busy next year! As for the JA auditions back in the day before emails (well 4 years ago now) I phoned up to find out the time of my dd's audition as I was twitchy I hadn't heard, to be told she was in the 'Rising 8's' group (as she was still 7, not 8 until the August) and so was in the very last audition of the Friday sessions. So I reckon age is a factor too. Good luck to yr dd, she'll a pro at auditions by then!

(Also I find the Pret near Cov Garden tube station is very lovely for a hot choc and Brownie!)

Seriously though good luck to all those auditioning. Such an exciting time!

• Like 2

Congratulations to your DD, Petalviolet! She is doing brilliantly thus far with her auditions ;-) I have everything crossed (it's a little uncomfortable) for her RBS JA audition to complete the hat trick!

And I should think that a guide to the best places for snackling around each JA venue would be a most worthy project.

• Like 2

Hi Southerndancemum I'm sure this has been raised before on here but I can tell you what I know there is always a full set of places available in Y4 then at the end of Y4 they move up to Y5 but spaces are created for the ones that don't want to carry on , this is how my DD got her place . It continues like this from Y5 - Y6 again with only a few places available. I also know that they do make space for children too if they think the potential is there .

Good Luck

• Like 1