Royal Ballet season 2015-2016

Love the sound of the 3 Wheeldon ballets, especially Within the Golden Hour, think that was my favourite Wheeldon so far, and quite pleased to see Connectome/Raven Girl back too, also Two Pigeons, glad that the new Acosta Carmen is not a full length ballet, the big surprise is Frankenstein which I presume will be on the main stage, Wayne Eagling's wasn't bad, but Liam Scarlett's could be really scary!

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whose Afternoon of a Faun is it? If it is the Robbins one again I might sell my ticket for the mixed programme including it this season. I think that Connectome/Raven Girl might be quite hard to sell (I'll be giving it a miss). As Dave said, it's annoying that the same ballet appears in two mixed programmes. That makes me buy less rather than more, unless it's something that I love.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 4

Whose Afternoon of a Faun is it? If it is the Robbins one again I might sell my ticket for the mixed programme including it this season. I think that Connectome/Raven Girl might be quite hard to sell (I'll be giving it a miss). As Dave said, it's annoying that the same ballet appears in two mixed programmes. That makes me buy less rather than more, unless it's something that I love.

It is Robbins.

Connectome/Raven Girl sounds like an utter nightmare.  I think Connectome with Osipova is just about worth seeing for her.  RG has no redeeming features for me. 

I agree about the repeating of a ballet within a season.  I don't think this applies to Song this season, but can see that with Two Pigeons the work has been out of the rep for so long it might make sense to try to get it into the memory of several casts so that, say, four principal casts have it in their bodies.

I think it will be an inexpensive season for me.  There is some really good material in there but it just doesn't seem like a well composed season.  Far too much of the in house choreographers.  I just can't understand yet another McGregor commision (and another to excuriciating music - the music will be Esa-Pekka Salonen's Nyx) and the absence of anything new from outside the Royal Ballet club.

• Like 5

the big surprise is Frankenstein which I presume will be on the main stage, Wayne Eagling's wasn't bad, but Liam Scarlett's could be really scary!

It does seem to be on the main stage.  And it is a co-production with San Francisco Ballet.  They have commissioned a new score for Lowell Liebermann, whose first piano concerto Liam used for Viscera.

This is all very interesting and thank you for posting Barton22.

The Friends Office told me in writing that the Magazine would only issue after the Press Conference on Wednesday and the Season Preview event for Patrons etc on Thursday. Makes a bit of a nonsense of things if some of us know the repertoire in advance. Although  I suppose that there may be some interesting revelations to come about dancers to be featured :-)

It looks like being an inexpensive season for me too - perhaps influenced more by who is dancing than by the programme itself which really doesn't grab me. Of course, the repetitions may have resulted from management feeling that the Company has been a bit overstretched this year.

Edited by capybara

This is all very interesting and thank you for posting Barton22.

The Friends Office told me in writing that the Magazine would only issue after the Press Conference on Wednesday and the Season Preview event for Patrons etc on Thursday. Makes a bit of a nonsense of things if some of us know the repertoire in advance. Although  I suppose that there may be some interesting revelations to come about dancers to be featured :-)

It looks like being an inexpensive season for me too - perhaps influenced more by who is dancing than the programme itself which really doesn't grab me. Of course, the repetitions may have resulted from management feeling that the Company has been a bit overstretched this year.

Maybe someone pulled the trigger on the mailing sooner than they should have.  I think it is almost always the case that come the season previews the information is already out there.  I no longer bother attending them as the Clore is agonizingly uncomfortable and one learns little in addition to what the rep will be.  Hopefully if casting info becomes availabe at the previews someone will post on here.

I agree about the repeating of a ballet within a season.  I don't think this applies to Song this season, but can see that with Two Pigeons the work has been out of the rep for so long it might make sense to try to get it into the memory of several casts so that, say, four principal casts have it in their bodies.

I think it will be an inexpensive season for me.  There is some really good material in there but it just doesn't seem like a well composed season.  Far too much of the in house choreographers.  I just can't understand yet another McGregor commision (and another to excuriciating music - the music will be Esa-Pekka Salonen's Nyx) and the absence of anything new from outside the Royal Ballet club.

Or maybe the management will try to get more casts in - I hope this ballet doesn't limit the leading roles to principals. 

Likewise for me, the Ashton double bill is the only one that is a must-see for me. I'd like to try the new Wheeldons, but I don't think a whole night of his work justifies a trip to London, thanks!

I wonder what will be cinema broadcast this season. I dearly hope it is not limited to R&J, Nutcracker and Giselle - I guess Frankenstein might be likely?

"Pardon me boy, is this the Transyvania Station?

Jah, jah, track 29 - can I give you a shine"

(from Young Fronkonsteen, a film that makes me laugh just thinking about it. I'm guessing this won't be the version the ballet made from....)

OH sweet mystery of life....  :)

• Like 1

1994, I believe?

Thanks, just looked it up, it was 1996, before my time. I must have been thinking of something else (probably Judas Tree). I should give it a chance I guess but from the recorded bits I've seen, and the fact that it is sandwiched between the new McGregor and a Wheeldon, I think I'd rather see something else :-)

Edited by Sunrise

Maybe someone pulled the trigger on the mailing sooner than they should have.  I think it is almost always the case that come the season previews the information is already out there.  I no longer bother attending them as the Clore is agonizingly uncomfortable and one learns little in addition to what the rep will be.  Hopefully if casting info becomes availabe at the previews someone will post on here.

I take your point barton22 and I don't really mind personally. However, this year, the Season Preview is being held in the main auditorium and the assurance was that, unlike in previous years, it really would be a preview.

Or maybe the management will try to get more casts in - I hope this ballet doesn't limit the leading roles to principals. 

I wonder what will be cinema broadcast this season. I dearly hope it is not limited to R&J, Nutcracker and Giselle - I guess Frankenstein might be likely?

I meant dancers of the principal roles and wasn't assuming they would be dancers of "Principal" rank with the company.  I agree it would be great to have some of the junior dancers in principal roles in many of the pieces next season.

Live cinema broadcasts seem to be R&J (Sept 22), the Viscera mixed bill (Nov 12), Nut (Dec 16), Rhapsody/2Ps (jan 26), Giselle (Apr 6) and Frankenstein (May 18).

• Like 4

Frankenstein is the big one and a huge step up for Scarlett. I just hope he does not take on other work - he seems to have been too busy of late. Less is more.

And I hope he has a good dramaturg.  Nancy Meckler anyone?  I thought the linear clarity of her work on Scottish Ballet's STREETCAR was stunning.  All very 'Shared Experience' ... which I think would suit Frankenstein down to the proverbial ground. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Live cinema broadcasts seem to be R&J (Sept 22), the Viscera mixed bill (Nov 12), Nut (Dec 16), Rhapsody/2Ps (jan 26), Giselle (Apr 6) and Frankenstein (May 18).

Oh that's terrific re Rhapsody/2Ps! I hope the pigeons behave themselves if they're going to be broadcast worldwide. And I'll get to see Acosta's Carmen too. You've made my day :D

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 3

Wow, we actually get a slightly mixed bill in the cinemas?  Marvellous!  I suppose the Acosta name will help sell the Viscera bill.

• Like 2

Wow, we actually get a slightly mixed bill in the cinemas?  Marvellous!  I suppose the Acosta name will help sell the Viscera bill.

And hopefully the broadcast will be of Osipova dancing in the Tchai pdd - that would be a big draw.

• Like 1

not keen on this trend of having the same work repeated in different mixed bills, have to say (Song of the Earth this season, and two works next season). Even if they are amongst my faves, seems we're 'missing out' somehow...

Why is "Song" featured in two different mixed bills this season? I asked the ROH via Twitter but didn't get a reply.

Apologies if I've missed this info elsewhere.

Edited to add that I'm delighted at the return of R&J - although I hope some performances will be held during October half term. Last run I missed most of Act 1 due to the inability of the man in front of me to sit still for more than 3 seconds at a time.

I can't help wondering what the dancers' reaction is to the 2015/16 programme.

If I were a Principal, First Soloist or Soloist or, indeed, if I felt that i had a chance of proving myself worthy of promotion, I might feel that the pickings were rather lean. If I were a Corps member, I would be noticing the number of ballets with small numbers in the cast and hoping that my opportunities to get on stage were not going to be unduly limited or repetitive.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

I can't help wondering what the dancers' reaction is to the 2015/16 programme.

If I were a Principal, First Soloist or Soloist or, indeed, if I felt that i had a chance of proving myself worthy of promotion, I might feel that the pickings were rather lean. If I were a Corps member, I would be noticing the number of ballets with small numbers in the cast and hoping that my opportunities to get on stage were not going to be unduly limited or repetitive.

I disagree, I think the amount of mixed bills and repeated ballets might give more opportunities! Especially such a long run of The Nutcracker!

Also I think, from the amount of injuries this year across the ranks, next season's repetoire might reflect management trying to make things a bit easier. 

For me, the new season is disappointing - very little Macmillan, no full length Ashton, and as much I'm really looking forward to seeing Two Pigeons, I think 14 performances is too many when there are so many other lovely Ashton pieces that could have been shown (the two Ashton double bills will also be rather short in length , I would have thought).  I'm disappointed that Carmen is only to be a one act ballet, and I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about a whole evening of Wheeldon works.  Even the new Scarlett is beginning to fill me with dread - I usually love his work, but Viscera is my least favourite because I don't much care for the music, and now I hear that it will be this composer who will write the score for Frankenstein.  The last programme of the season doesn't thrill me much either - not really being much of a McGregor fan, the Invitation is going to be challenging for me, I think, and then we have another repeat work, so the season will go out on a whimper again (I feel the same about the end of this season too).   In fact, the more I think about it, the more depressed I feel.  Thank heaven for R&J, Giselle and the 25 Nutcrackers.  I'm normally a pretty upbeat person, but I feel quite grumpy.  I suppose the only saving grace is that I'll probably save quite a lot of money.  :-(

• Like 2

Thank goodness for the Ashton, I say.  Everything else (except the mandatory moneyspinner Nut of course) seems like ballet to slash your wrists by.  Not ANOTHER Macgregor?  And Frankenstein, Raven Girl & Winter's Tale - not exactly uplifting fare.  Oh well, my bank manager will be happy.

Linda (aka Depressed of Canary Wharf)

• Like 7

A very disappointing list for me  :(. I don't like R&J that much and ENB are also doing it so I'll be going to the ENB one at my local theatre. Two Pigeons, I've no idea what that is but a lot of you guys seem to like it so that one'll be in :).  I regret only seeing one Giselle last time around so I'll go to a few of those, and that'll probably be it.

Connectome/Raven Girl, good luck with that ROH.

• Like 2

If that is the extent of the programme I wonder what they'll choose for the cinema broadcasts? They seem to prefer the full length ballets but I wouldn't have thought they would do Giselle and Winter's Tale again next season so soon after broadcasting them. There is Nutcracker and Romeo but what else apart from this new Frankenstein if that's full length? It would be good to see Rhapsody and Two Pigeons which is possibly the only programme I'm interested in so it looks as if it will be an economical year.

barton 22 just noticed you started off saying Monotones I and II was with Two Pigeons and then said Rhapsody. Are all being performed?

I think two pigeons is being run first with Monotones and then with rhapsody.

Well I got my wish after the Annie Maguire gala.....asking if they would ever do Two Pigeons again!!

It's a delightful ballet but haven't a seen it for years!

This is probably my favourite of the programmes though there is so much new stuff coming up as well that ......Well you can give a work at least one try I suppose .....so not sure I'll be saving that much money.

At least a choice of Nutcrackers this year......so that will be the ROH then.....but ENB are doing Corsaire in January so I think the festive season will be catered for!!

• Like 1

It's one of those test of love sort of stories really......the grass may be greener somewhere else etc....

There are two lovers but one is dissatisfied and restless and I think runs off with some gypsies where he tries flirting with one of them.

But then they steal his things and is eventually thrown out and he returns to his lover very contrite and realising what he had was okay in the first place......and as this is a romantic ballet she of course is all forgiveness!!

There is a lovely pas de deux at the end in which two live doves are also used and are supposed to settle on either side of a chair

Probably the main tension in the ballet is hoping these two doves behave themselves!!

It's a gentle piece and should give a chance to some up and coming dancers to have a go at the main roles.

• Like 2

Salonen is going to be interesting as composer - I like NYX and he can be quite atmospheric which might be perfect for Frankenstein, but he has also written stuff that makes me want to renounce music for good. If Scarlett's Frankenstein is as involving (and creepy) as his Hansel and Gretel but suitable for the main stage, I'll be very very happy. If it's more on the lines of his last RB offering I'm less likely to be enamoured.

It looks like a decent enough year to me. I'll be gorging on R&J and Giselle, have a nice quiet chrismas with a couple of my favourite Nutcrackers and then dip into most of the mixed bills, though I have to admit that my ticket acquisition for those will be inverse to the presence of McGregor offerings. Quite looking forward to seeing the famed 2 Pigeons for the first time, but having it in 2 different bills definitely means booking fewer overall to avoid saturation. I have learned the hard way that 8 or 9 of anything within a couple of month is my absolute upper limit even for things I love madly.

And no Sleeping Beauty. Phew.

Edited by Coated

Salonen is going to be interesting as composer - I like NYX and he can be quite atmospheric which might be perfect for Frankenstein, but he has also written stuff that makes me want to renounce music for good. If Scarlett's Frankenstein is as involving (and creepy) as his Hansel and Gretel but suitable for the main stage, I'll be very very happy. If it's more on the lines of his last RB offering I'm less likely to be enamoured.

Frankenstein has a new score from Lieberman.  The Salonen is being used by McGregor (and the season guide says Salonen will conduct some of the performances).