Royal Ballet season 2015-2016

I'm not wild about seeing Lamb/Pennefather in the cinema 

Big screen relay, if there's one near you?  That way, at least you don't shell out any money :)

Thanks for the reminder about the prices going up: that will remind me to restrict my purchases to about half of the R&J casts.

Actually, I remember seeing Lamb's Juliet in a big screen relay some years ago - with Samodurov.  I think I got more from her there than I did in the theatre.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big screen relay, if there's one near you?  That way, at least you don't shell out any money :)

Thanks for the reminder about the prices going up: that will remind me to restrict my purchases to about half of the R&J casts.

Actually, I remember seeing Lamb's Juliet in a big screen relay some years ago - with Samodurov.  I think I got more from her there than I did in the theatre.

Ah yes, thanks for the tip, I missed that it would be a big screen as well as a cinema relay. I don't think they do big screen relays here, but I'll keep an eye out anyway, 

I am now really looking forward to the new Season after my initial downer "so many R&J's, so soon again".

Based on Mr. O'Hare's casting of Francesca Hayward since "Rhapsody" it was to be expected he'd cast her as "Juliet".

I am particularly thrilled Yasmine Naghdi is cast as "Juliet" and, together with Matthew Ball as her "Romeo", to be given further opportunities to develop their partnership (I'll need a XL pack of hankies!). I was lucky enough to meet both dancers at the Stage Door after "Onegin" and they showed a special and warm appreciation for each other, it was really obvious they love dancing together. Let's hope we are witnessing the early stages of a future great partnership (something that has been missing in the Company for years).

No doubt Osipova/Muntagirov and Naghdi/Ball will be the hot R&J tickets. Disappointed Hayward has been partnered with Golding, although he impressed me in "Onegin". I would have loved to see Laura Morera as "Juliet" but as someone else said there is a new generation of superb young dancers who need these big opportunities if the Company is to develop its Principals from within. 

I am also looking forward to seeing "Monotones" again, and Fumi Kaneko in "Nutcracker". Lovely to see Corps dancers such as Magri, Sambe and O'Sullivan are given opportunities too. 

• Like 3

Osipova/Muntagirov have, I think, got 4 performances of R&J: I think that *ought* to be enough to go around!

26th Sept., 01st Oct., and 11th Nov. are the only three shows on the list I have. When is the fourth one, Alison?

Oh, I thought John had listed 4.  Perhaps I misread it?

I think that 17th October is Cuthbertson/Bonelli not Osipova/Muntagirov as shown in John's list. Such typos are only too easily made when copying from a far from clear ROH original!

• 2 weeks later...

The dates, but no casting or prices, are on the website for Cheri at the Linbury, Tuesday 29th September to Sunday 4th October, matinees on Saturday and Sunday, reviews in the magazines were good and probably a chance to see Alessandra Ferri again!

Ah, so that's why she's down as a Guest Artist for next season.  I'd forgotten about that.

Don't also forget Herman Cornejo, Alison.  Wonder who will do the spoken role in Cheri?  It was Amy Irving in NYC.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 2 weeks later...

It is reported on another site that JULIAN MACKAY (an American artist who attended the Bolshoi Academy and won one of the six 2015 Prix de Lausanne awards) will be joining the Royal Ballet.  No capacity is specified.  (I am sorry in advance if this has already been reported elsewhere on the BcoF website.)  

• 2 weeks later...

Just been booking for Osipova/Muntagirov's R & J in the Autumn season and it is remarkable how sold out it already appears to be. I know some tickets are held back for general booking but compared to the other performances where there are plenty of tickets available there are very few for these. Shows how "box office" this couple are.

Oh, I wish you hadn't said that! I can't book until tomorrow morning!I

I'm sorry Balletfanp, there are plenty up in the amphi and balcony but less so down in the lower ones. I feel really guilty now.

I don't like to be too high up so I rarely book seats in the balcony but on the rare occasions I have sat there, I have found most seats in the centre to be pretty good.  I'm not keen on the loose tall seats though.  Some of the front row on the sides are marked as restricted view but if you check with the interactive seat plan, the view is not at all bad.

Linda

Period 1 (autumn) booking went smoothy this mornhing, even a welcome smattering of stalls circle standing for some performances. Osipova/Muntagirov R & J tickets were disappearing before my eyes and I had no luck there, ditto first night of the Viscera/Carmen etc mixed bill. Otherwise pretty satisfactory.

Public booking for Period 1 will commence at 9 am.  That to me sounds like a question of falling between two stools - all it needs is some sort of public transport problem and many people could end up not being able to book at that time, even if they aimed to get to work in time for 9 am.

I love your comment, Bill, but, somehow, there is quite a lot of stress involved in getting the tickets one wants. I suppose it's because we care so much about seeing certain performances.

Interestingly, all the seats in the Orchestra Stalls, the Stalls Circle and the Grand Tier, plus the majority in the Balcony are showing as sold out for all three Osipova/Muntagirov R&Js. Not really a surprise  :) .

• Like 1

There are still quite a lot of what I call good seats in the amphi left, i.e. £35 central block also cheaper side tickets, plus of course the public booking quota, but I agree the stress involved on the day is the main reason I have decided to remain a Friend!

• 3 months later...

A few cast confirmations/changes announced today for Afternoon of a Faun and Viscera.

For performances of Afternoon of a Faun:

For performances of Viscera on 28 October, the evening performance on 31 October and 2 November, Ryoichi Hirano will replace Federico Bonelli.

Link here

• Like 2

It just shows that the Royal Ballet are fully appreciating the talent of Matthew Ball! 

He is cast in so much this season, and still he is only a First Artist. I hope he is promoted soon!

Also after reading some of the excellent responses to his performance with Yasmine Naghdi on Saturday in R&J. I bet she is now in contention for a promotion too!

There is so much emerging talent in the lower ranks, that is finally being appreciated! (avoiding repeats of Xander Parish & Dawid Trzensimiech departures). 

• Like 3