The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, February 2015

I've seen black tutus a few times mainly with Russian ballet companies. Now you made me think about it I think I take it as a sort of mourning attire given someone usually dies in Act 4, be it Odette, Siegfried or Rothbart. I really like the use of black tutus.

Thank goodness RB is finishing this version of SL please let it be true!

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm one of those who dislikes the RB production sufficiently not to want to go and see it too often, so can't comment on casts thus far, but one of the things I *would* like to see in a new Swan Lake, if we are indeed to get one, is for it to be returned to a vaguely medieval period or something. The Victorian era has always struck me as way too rational for evil magicians, enchanted maidens and spells, and, given that it's the Royal Ballet, the production also makes me think way too often of Mayerling. Plus get rid of all the inappropriate behaviour, so unsuited to a Classical ballet production.

Alison, I totally agree. For me, setting the ballet in Tsarist Russia completely destroyed its mythic qualities. As for the "inappropriate behaviour", yes it should all go: the chaperones and dodgy tutor in Act 1, and the goosing of the guests in Act 3, the lot.

Yes, and although last week's performance with Nehemiah Kish was never less than lovely, more RB style, last night's was smoother, technically even better, although Odile suits her style more I prefer her Odette, beautiful second act solo which is one of my most favourite dances ever, and sensitive partnering by Matthew Golding in the pdd, as expected the Black Swan brought out the best in them, makes me realise how great they would have been in the last act of Don Q.

Very exciting evening, the whole company do seem to dance better when Natalia Osipova is on, as they do with Carlos Acosta, and I think she will inspire lots of girls, must make sure to book the cinema performance on the 17th, although I will be at the ROH for Evgenia Obraztsova on the 16th, who would have believed 2 Bolshoi ballerina's in 2 nights :)

• Like 3

A fantastic Swan Lake last night, as follows:

Not too much to say about Act 1 except James Hay was excellent in the Pas de Trois. His jumps were precise and high and his turns made me think he had been getting tips from Stephen McRae.

So on to Act 2, and when ‘the ballerina’ appears there was the usual applause which I thought was going on too long then I realised I was still clapping as well – it is very hard not to clap when Natalia Osipova appears in a tutu.

The whole of Act 2 went past far too fast, it was absolutely perfect. Natalia Osipova was totally Odette, so soft, so languid, yet every movement so precise. Her arms rippled right down to her fingertips and the placement of her head was gorgeous to behold. I didn’t notice Matthew Golding too much in Act 2 which I guess means he was doing his job of supporting Odette. The Cygnets and the Two Swans were also spot on as you would expect from the RB.

There was one funny moment in Act 2 when NO led on the junior swans and when NO came to a sudden stop the junior swans nearly didn’t – if there wasn’t a minor collision it was very close! I’ll have to watch a recording to see what is meant to happen there.

Act 3. The national dances were all good with a special mention to Yasmine Naghdi and Paul Kay in the Neapolitan Dance. Lots of applause for these two.

Next up the Black Swan Pas de Deux. Here NO really put on a steely edge to her moves, again everything just went past far too fast, the fouettes were lovely but with a bit of travel across the stage – but then they all do that. Natalia’s Odile was great and didn’t come across as totally wicked as some Odiles (Tamara Rojo!) but more of a naughty girl (this in no way is meant as a criticism just an observation). Natalia was excellent both as Odette and Odile but more of an Odette.

Matthew Golding really shone as Siegfried in Act 3. His part in the Pas de Deux was excellent with strong solos with great height and poise and clean lines in the leaps and jumps. He really was the ‘Danseur Noble’ in this performance. The applause he received in the Pas de Deux was just as loud as Natalia’s.

Act 4 is when the feathery swan dresses came into their own with beautiful formation dancing from the corps giving the effect of the individual girls in their feathery dresses forming individual feathers in a giant swan’s wings. This was beautiful and really clear from the Amphitheatre.

Rereading the above, an apology for over use of the word ‘excellent’ but, well, it was!

Edited by Timmie
  • Like 3

I agree with the review quoted above that the fine performances by BOTH NO and MG in SL last night solidified K. O'Hare's judgement in forging this classical partnership.  The chapter that Oneign opened continued to reveal itself here with as keen and clear a hope as towards the destiny of our fortunate future.  Long may it (and they) thrive.  Golding - well away from those salacious squeals of concern initially heard here as well as in certain other quarters - (cough - Twitter - cough) - was OUTSTANDING as an extremely sensitive partner and his first solo in the BS PDD was - in a word - breathtaking in both its spontaneous excitement and glorious placement.  Both of these fine artists again proved this partnership as a wonderful role model.  I also enormously appreciated the fact that MG played down the school boy flippancy of this production's opening Act III parade.  Indeed this pairing made for a vividly aware and sensitively telling whole.  Thus our response to their generous artistry was always alive and, once again, the curtain call stamping was understandably levied.  James Hay in the PDT and Yasmine Naghdi (alongside an animated Paul Kay - the husband of a soon to be celebrated British Broadway star) - when appearing both as the lead in the first act waltz and most especially whilst dazzling in Ashton's sun kiss of a Neapolitan Dance - were thrillingly musical and - as seemingly ever - enervated in a life enriching manner.  Both of these fine artisans smile as much with their welcome grins as with the magic of their pointed feet.  Far from the clang of those foolishly falling mugs in the first act of this production, I defiantly raise a toast to their greater cheer.  Here's to many more occasions via which to bless and celebrate all.   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Ms Osipova didn't quite convince me in the White acts. Something was lacking, I felt. I still can't quite put my finger on it, but Nunez seemed to invest those acts with more urgency and more vivd brushstrokes, to use an arty metaphor. By contrast N.O. a little too finely drawn perhaps, for me to appreciate from all the way in the Amphi.

That said, her Odile was great, and her fouettes pretty pyrotechnical.

Revelation of the night: Matthew Golding. I very much enjoyed his Siegfried. Noble lines, poise, ardency. And fine acting. His partnership with Miss O seems fruitful and comfortable for both, Golding seeming to be gaining in artistry from it.

Final mention for me (beyond the corps and baby swans, who were wonderful) goes to James Hay's PdT solo. Real elegance! And lovely tours as Timmie has said above.

Yes, I saw Saturday evening's performance, but the one that has stayed  (and I'm sure will stay) in my memory is Thursday evening's one with Marianela Nunez and Carlos Acosta, and the flower throw at the end in acknowledgement of Acosta's last Swan Lake performance. And what a performance! 

Edited by MargaretN7
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Royal Ballet just tweeted that Obratzsova is not available to dance on 21 March due to being recalled by the Bolshoi,

no announcement made about her replacement yet. I am disappointedl as I bought the tickets months ago- oh well as least I have been informed! Who would partner Mcrea?

• Like 1

I was also sad to learn that Obratzsova wouldn't be dancing on the 21st, I had booked my ticket for the matinee specifically because I wanted to see her, I'm not a fan of the current RB production (way too fussy) so that I confess was my main draw (and the music of course) saying that I am still committed to going, and I will be curious to know who they will replace her with. 

I saw some of the postings up above and giggled to myself at the RB playing a kind of tit for tat - or devil's advocate - and bringing in Cojocaru to replace a dancer who had to go back to the Bolshoi ..... Certainly Cojocaru has danced with McRae before .... :)    Not, of course, that it will happen ...  It won't ... Well, not outside the realm of fantasy .... and certainly not now at the RB

This was but a muse ...

Edited by Bruce Wall

Sarah Lamb has been replaced by Daria Klimentova at the Gala in Leeds tonight (see NB thread) so she may not yet be fully fit.

Difficult also for Akane Takada to rehearse with two different partners when the performances are so close to one another.

And, of course, no confirmation yet as to who will be dancing with Vadim Muntagirov from the 26th March onwards.

Edited by capybara

I saw some of the postings up above and giggled to myself at the RB playing a kind of tit for tat - or devil's advocate - and bringing in Cojocaru to replace a dancer who had to go back to the Bolshoi ..... Certainly Cojocaru has danced with McRae before .... :)    Not, of course, that it will happen ...  It won't ... Well, not outside the realm of fantasy .... and certainly not now at the RB

This was but a muse ...

If only Bruce, if only.

The RB has had a lot of bad luck in this (very long) run of Swan Lake. Lamb may be fully fit (didn't she dance her last Onegin after having to pull out of her Swan Lake performances?) but unavailable for NB's gala tonight because of a minor illness or for some other reason.

Maybe Roberta Marquez? I didn't realise someone could just be recalled to their home company if they are under contract to dance with another one...

No, I didn't either.

I thought that was the point of having someone as a guest artist from another company - that they were effectively employees of the company they are contracted out to, for whatever period of time is specified in the contract. 

I wonder if the Bolshoi have to buy the contract back again, and reimburse the Royal? 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

from the ROH cinema PDF

"Tweet your thoughts about tonight’s performance before it starts, during the intervals or afterwards with #ROHswanlake"

They missed the opportunity to add "But not during the damned performance!!!"

• Like 7

Sounds good, but where? I can only see the 3 main roles ...

Sorry.  Didn't realise there was another page to this thread and posted a reply to Alison's question before I realised it had already been answered.   Maybe an administrator can remove this post now that I've deleted the redundant answer?

Edited by Bluebird

Having seen both of the Osipova/Golding Swan Lake performances, I'm a bit disappointed they have gone with last Friday's casting. I thought James Hay was outstanding in the Act 1 pas de trois on Feb 21st  as were Yasmin Naghdi and Paul Kay in the Act 3 Neapolitan dance.

Incidentally Osipova's second performance was several notches up on her first....one can only anticipate what she will come up with tomorrow night.