The Royal Ballet: Swan Lake, February 2015

The swans are back in town this week, opening on Tuesday 10th Feb, with Sarah Lamb as Odette/Odile and Carlos Acosta her Prince Siegfried.

Here are a few photos from the dress rehearsal last week:

16292723877_60040ded80_z.jpg
Swan Lake - Swans (Anna Rose O’Sullivan)
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

16477657182_f2e909e953_z.jpg
Swan Lake - Carlos Acosta and Sarah Lamb

15858511383_42db91fb5a_z.jpg
Swan Lake - Carlos Acosta and Sarah Lamb

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: The Royal Ballet - Swan Lake
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

By kind permission of the Royal Opera House

• Like 2

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd disagree - I think they look much more swan like in the long ones, rather than plate tutus. No doubt I'll be one of the few disappointed if the replacement production goes for plates, rather than fullsome skirts. Happily discard most of the Act 3 costumes though...

• Like 4

I like the swans in the longer dresses except that it does make Odette stand out. The one place I think tutus are necessary and hardly ever worn is in the snowflake waltz in The Nutcracker, since they're meant to be snowflakes, not snowdrifts.

I also like the way, in this production, that in Act IV some of the swans' dresses are partly black. It shows the taint from Rothbart's trick and helps make that act more dramatic. I know some people don't like it but I hope that survives the next redesign.

I really like the design of the Odette/Odile tutu in this production, especially the way the skirt isn't stiff, so it does tend to echo the longer outfits of the swans.

• Like 3

I love the feathery costumes and they are a nice change from tutus that are in every other production of SL. I think it helps to make Odette stand out bit more for newcomers who are unfamiliar with the story and won't know one dancer from the next. I'll be rather sorry if the costumes go.

• Like 1

When I saw this, I thought Odette being dressed differently from the other swans made the parts when Siegfried is trying to find her in the flock not work!

Many are the times I've resisted the temptation to shout out "She's the only one in the short skirt, idiot!" to Siegfried :)

Welcome to the forum, cavycapers. 

• Like 7

:lol:

Yes, it does seem a bit daft to have Odette dressed completely differently to the rest of the flock. 

I am quite surprised so many of the people on here like the long skirts.  I agree they look very beautiful, but I don't think they look very swan like, myself. 

• Like 1

The swans in David Nixon's Swan Lake (for Northern Ballet) do not wear tutus.  There is a photograph on this page.

Although you can't see the back of the costume the "petals" of the skirt fold over each other a bit at the bottom reminiscent of the way swans wings lie when they are sitting on the water.  I liked these costumes very much but I would guess they are quite hard to dance in.

• Like 1

I guess I like how floaty and fluffy the skirts are and I do think they make the dancers look more swan-like, even though their plumage doesn't really resemble swans. Maybe I like them because the way corps are almost dripping with feathers, they look more fantastical, and I find that more captivating than a more traditional SL. The tutus are beautiful for sure, but they seem relatively stiff by comparison. Tutus are in almost every SL production out there, so I love the RB's production is a bit different.

For some reason this thread has me wondering what a stage full of Bjork type swans prancing around Act 2 would be like. Really should get back to work!

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 1

I don't like the shaggy, greyish-looking tutus, the black swans or the baby swans. IMO, some of the power and beauty of the corps dancing is lost when the swans don't wear the pristine, white pancake tutus. Plus, you can't see the swans' legs so well in the longer tutus.

• Like 4

I’m so very sorry to say that I don’t like the RB’s Swan Lake decor and costumes for most of the dancers AT ALL. :(

To be honest, I only have seen the DVD – there the stage looks cramped and the costumes seem fussy, it might be different on the big stage? Odette/Odile’s tutus and the Prince’s uniform in Act 1 and 2 are nice, though.

Nevertheless I am very much looking forward to the cinema broadcast in March!

• Like 2

I don't like the shaggy, greyish-looking tutus, the black swans or the baby swans. IMO, some of the power and beauty of the corps dancing is lost when the swans don't wear the pristine, white pancake tutus. Plus, you can't see the swans' legs so well in the longer tutus.

Maybe this is why they wear them then - you don't really see real swans' legs either

Well, neil, we'll just have to agree to disagree on matters of personal taste. I don't accept your point about not seeing real swans' legs. Ballet is fantasy not an attempt at recreation of the natural world.

I find your comment quite condescending.

I didn't say what my preference was as I recall.

Well, neil, we'll just have to agree to disagree on matters of personal taste. I don't accept your point about not seeing real swans' legs. Ballet is fantasy not an attempt at recreation of the natural world.

Ergo it doesn't matter whether you see the legs or not - the fantasy is in the designer's eyes.  I myself have wondered why, since being a frequent visitor to Martin Mere and having seen Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, women are ever cast as swans as they are such powerful masculine looking birds!

• Like 3

Yes, they can be quite aggressive and ungainly birds on dry land,  it's only when they are in the water and gliding that they look so beautiful.

I quite agree from personal experience. I was fishing some years ago on a lake and I must have chosen my spot to fish which was a landing place for the swans that lived their. They showed their displeasure by "attacking" me and they sure can be aggressive. I moved!!

I think Odette being dressed differently from 'the flock' takes away that bit of pleasure that newcomers get when they realise that Odette is the only one with a crown on her headdress.

When I saw the ENB's Swan lake last month, Alina Cojocaru came to the stage door still in her swan costume (pointe shoes and all!) Which was lovely to see. And she was delightful.

• Like 5