News from Upper School Auditions

JulieW

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with you Katymac- I could never have handled the rejection (just as well I didn't ever do any dance!) and in fact even now am more devastated than any of my kids when they don't get the hoped for outcome. I suppose dealing with the 'no's' builds the kind of resilience that will see them through their careers- even the greatest achievers all seem to have a story of rejection somewhere in their past and what has made them succeed is not necessarily being the best right form the outset, but being able to gather themselves up and keep going no matter what. And we all know stories of those who were lauded from the beginning as being superstars only to collapse at a later stage because they couldn't really handle competition or even minor failures.

I think the trick is to know that its ok to be sad if you don't succeed at something but not to be defeated by that sadness. Something I wish I was better at it, and I deeply admire this ability in all our young DCs....

• Like 12

Hi Sballerina,

I think your post has accidentally landed on the wrong thread ('news from' rather than 'questions about'), but I'll answer it here otherwise it won't make sense!

I'm pretty sure the letter stipulates that it wants the music on a cd, properly edited with a start and end. My DD took that and also a back up iphone just in case the CD failed. 

Sorry to hear the news, Katymac. Was this one of her first auditions this year? Maybe she can look on it as a dry run. Is the next one tomorrow? Really hope it goes brilliantly.

Chaperone and Anaballerina; sorry I missed your news! Congratulations, ab! And that's brilliant, Chaperone! Depending on what day you get given we must try to say hi.

• Like 2

Well so far...

Rambert - they asked me to stay on to do my solo but I didn't get a physio, I got a no in the end

Central - no final or waiting list

Elmhurst - finals in March

I have ENB prelim on Saturday.

I'm just a bit confused as to why they liked me in Elmhurst and not in central. I don't want to get my hopes up because ill end up being upset but surely if I was to get into Elmhurst in September that I would have at least a final or waiting list in central and rambert. Or is that completely false, im just thinking out loud really.

• Like 1

It was her first but one of the more important ones :(

Never mind she is getting ready for tomorrow & her landlady is giving her a lift to the train, which is lovely :)

Edited to add

Good luck CLGRS - unfortunately the audition panels are a law unto themselves and generally no logic can be ascribed to them ;)

Edited by Katymac
  • Like 3

All schools are looking for something different, in my uninformed opinion! For instance, one school may prefer shorter, physically strong dancers. Another may like tall, willowy girls. A third may be looking for technicians, and a fourth may be looking for performers! So while there are common attributes that all schools will look for - facility, musicality etc. - it really is down to the "eye" of the Artistic Director as to what he or she is looking for this time. Call it personal taste, call it the "X Factor" but always remember it's not personal.

In a way it's not a bad introduction to Company Auditions where you may be cut after barre at one company, yet be just what the AD of another Company is looking for. :-)

• Like 8

Well so far...

Rambert - they asked me to stay on to do my solo but I didn't get a physio, I got a no in the end

Central - no final or waiting list

Elmhurst - finals in March

I have ENB prelim on Saturday.

I'm just a bit confused as to why they liked me in Elmhurst and not in central. I don't want to get my hopes up because ill end up being upset but surely if I was to get into Elmhurst in September that I would have at least a final or waiting list in central and rambert. Or is that completely false, im just thinking out loud really.

Hi - don't feel too bad,you have done really well to get an offer of finals at Elmhurst. The best way to think about it is that all schools are looking for something but that might differ from school to school. Good luck at your other prelims and fingers crossed for finals. X
  • Like 3

I remember when my daughter auditioned, some of her friends go a no for Elmhurst first audition and a yes for Royal ballet??? Just what happens on the day, if you manage to catch their eye, having a good day or the requirements that school is looking for. One year it may be a no and the following year a yes. Good luck everyone and stay positive

• Like 5

One of the teachers from Millennium remembered her & asked why, she said she applied last year & he asked what she had been doing, she said Performers Pre-voc & he said she had got better.  She said she didn’t get funding last year & he said well fingers crossed……

Woo-hoo!!

I know it's not a yes - but she was recognised, which has to be good (or completely awful :P )

• Like 9