What are you reading?

Jan McNulty

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I should read 50 shades just to see what all the fuss is about. Hmm. I can see the resemblance to twilight: klutzy 'who me? but I'm so unattractive?' young woman attracts the most astoundingly fabulously no question the top dog alpha male who has a hint of strange(twilight- vampire, 50shades - super rich and super handsome but kinky) by dint of.... eerm well absolutely nothing of merit that I can see. Alpha male is completely overwhelmed at his desire to eat (twilight)/beat (50shades) said klutzy female and finds her captivating beyond belief solely because she seems able to accept his wierdness (undead/S&M addict) without running screaming. Cue endless panting description of how much they luuuve eachother despite not managing to have a single conversation which is more interesting than 'oh but you are so wonedrful' ' no, no YOU are so wonderful' etc whilst also both anxting endlessly over whether the other one truly does luuve them

The only advantage 50shades has over twilight is that at least they get on and have sex rather than just pant about it. Otherwise they are equally dull.

Oh and 50shades was marginally better written. The central characters anxting about how she felt about S&M were slightly more believeable and there were the odd moments of humour. Unlike twighlight which was incredibly self reverential and pompous.

Can't say I will be reading the rest of the trilogy in either case.

Edited by CeliB
  • Like 2

CeliB - thanks for your explanation of fan fiction and your comparison between the characters. I have not read any of the Twilight books but I knew there were vampires involved and I just could not see the connection!

I've just finished The Thread by Victoria Hislop and thought it was superb. This one is set in Thessaloniki from around 1907 to the 1970s and seems to have been meticulously researched. I knew some of the history covered but hadn't realised just how bad things were in Greece (and Turkey) during the period covered.

Hislop's previous two books also cover recent-ish history with The Island being about Crete and the Leper Colony on Spinalonga and The Return being about the Spanish Civil War, based mainly around Malaga.

As it happens, I have been to all three places but as I am mostly interested in ancient history these have given me some idea of more recent history within the context of a novel. I would highly recommend them but you do need some hankies handy for all three!

• Like 1

CeliB - thanks for your explanation of fan fiction

In defence of the (probably relatively small) proportion of good fan fiction, I'd have to say that that wasn't an explanation of fan fiction :). Although it did seem to bear some relation to the "Mary Sue" school of fiction (aka introducing an original character into a fiction world who seems to bear a remarkable resemblance to the author his/herself)

My daughter knows all about this! It is about characters in books or TV series and they are then developed into different stories and plots by by other "writers". The best is very good, the worst is well, 50 Shades of Grey!

Away from 50 Shades, did anyone ever share my enthusiasms for the work of J.P.Donleavy and, later, the late Robertson Davies? Donleavy's stream of consciousness style was, I admit, an acquired taste that I found was not shared by everyone. Davies' writing was witty, meaty and often theatrically based - and more generally approachable, I'd say.

• Like 1

A work friend introduced me to Robertson Davies with What's Bred in the Bone. I JUST LOVE HIS BOOKS - I have read all three trilogies and the first two of his last unifinshed one. I couldn't bring myself to read the final book for about 2 years after I bought it because I had just got it when I heard he had passed away. I just didn't want them fo finish. I think of all of them, The Lyre of Orpheus is my favourite.

I must start re-reading them all.

• Like 1

Janet: Interesting, as I also met Davies via "What's Bred in the Bone," picked up at a Heathrow bookstall before a flight, and that led inevitably to all of the others. And I hope you also found his "High Spirits," a small volume of short ghost stories from his University time - excellent!

• 2 weeks later...

Ian - I'm not very keen on short stories so I haven't read High Spirits.

I haven't done much reading for the last couple of weeks because of being glued to the Olympics on TV! Normal service has just resumed and this morning I finished The Reluctant Detective by Sinclair Macleod. I downloaded it when I got one of those "you bought that so you may enjoy this" emails. It's about a chap who is an independent insurance investigator in Glasgow. A lady approaches him about the death of her son, which she thinks is suspicious when it has been written off as an accident.

It's light reading, very well (IMHO) written and I couldn't put it down! Although I was desperate to know "whodunit", at the same time I didn't want it to end. I've just downloaded another 2 novels in this series!

I used to go to Glasgow several times a year for theatre visits (and am hoping to again!) and am familiar with the city centre. This novel has just made me want to visit again!

• 1 month later...

Well I finished Sinclair Macleod's second and third novels. I have grown to love his easy going style very quickly. He has created characters that I care about and has progressed them in each subsequent novel. I am now waiting with bated breath for his next novel to come out. Here is a link to a page on Sinclair Macleod's website that explains why he writes: http://reluctantdetective.com/html/extras.html

Yesterday I finished Lee Child's latest novel, "The Wanted Man". I find his novels about Jack Reacher absolutely unputdownable. The main characteristics of Jack Reacher is that he is an ex-Military Policeman who lives the life of a wanderer in America and finds himself in situations. The novels repeatedly refer to his height - 6'5". A film is due out shortly, starring Tom Cruise as Reacher - words fail me!!!

Thanks. You've just reminded me that I've got the video stopped about 3/4 of the way through LoA. Must finish it.

Oh, having finished the Nureyev biography (v. good), I'm currently ploughing my way through Stephen Ambrose's "Band of Brothers". Not finding it as riveting as the TV series, though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am reading a book about Patsy Jefferson Randolph, Thomas Jefferson's surviving daughter and I intend to extract two books from the index, " Scarlett's Sisters" and one about life across the colour bar in the American deep south. I like American history.Actually, I like history, full stop!

Well, having finished the Nureyev biography sometime ago, and being on a bit of a tennis kick at the moment (you may have noticed :) ) I'm currently reading a book about Borg & McEnroe and the rivalry that led to the 1980 Wimbledon final (the 5-setter, with the most points ever scored in a tie-break at that stage. Borg won - the last time he lifted the trophy). Probably more enjoyable than my summary suggests.

• Like 1

It was published in October, Alison so I think not. A book is usually about a year in publication production and there is the writing time and finding an agent etc, but it probably helped the sales after, I would have thought! ;)

Oh, you'd be surprised what can be rushed out when there's felt to be a market - I have a friend who's a freelance editor, and you'd be surprised the deadlines they get sometimes :) It could well be that most of the book was written already and then perhaps some extra was added about the USO and the Olympics. I'd be most surprised if they weren't covered, in this day and age.

Currently reading James Clavell's Shogun which I'm enjoying immensely. Also dipping in and out of Apollo's Angels, as I have been wont to do for the last year or so. Only just up to Petipa/Tchaikovsky but some fascinating information in there - I never realised that Ivanov choreographed the "white acts" of Swan Lake and Petipa did the rest!

• 1 month later...

I've just finished Simon Scarrow's Sword and Scimitar set in the Great Siege of Malta in 1565. I've read all (except the latest, which I am just about to start) of his Legionary books and absolutely loved them. With this one, it took me a few chapters to get into it and then I couldn't put it down! It's very well researched.

Another novel set in the Siege is The Religion by Tim Willocks. I've just noticed that it is due to be reissued in April this year. It is a fantastically evocative book and I would highly recommend this one.

I've also just finished Soulseeker by Sinclair Macleod. I discovered his books by accident last year and I can't get enough of these gritty, Glasgow-based thrillers.

• Like 1

"The Robber Bride", by Margaret Atwood - it was sitting in the library's shelf of "1001 books you must read before you die" (of which I have read very few, I'm ashamed to say - I doubt that will postpone the inevitable, though), so I thought I'd read it over Christmas.