"Times" Watch - and other behind-paywall articles

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been included in my pack here in the south of London.

Glad someone else had it. I'm in West London, Amelia is in South London and City Island is in East London - so what would be the logic in a geographically-based circulation within London?

BTW, my copy was tucked inside something else - Culture, I think.

Glad someone else had it. I'm in West London, Amelia is in South London and City Island is in East London - so what would be the logic in a geographically-based circulation within London?

BTW, my copy was tucked inside something else - Culture, I think.

I don't know for sure but I can imagine why it might only be only included in Sunday Times sales in and around London. It would not be cheap to publish and to cover the country would be expensive. It does seem to be linked to their move to a commercial development in East London and ENB are more London centric then they have been for many years. It's also where lots of decision makers are as well I guess.

Did anybody not in the South East get the supplement? Interestingly I can't find any mention of the supplement on the ENB Twitter feed.

The 'Style' supplement in today's Sunday Times is running a feature around what appears to be a coffee table photo book "Roberto Bolle: Voyage into Beauty."  Seems there's yet another upsurge in chaps doing ballet classes etc etc in pursuit of a super-fit physique.

The 'Style' supplement in today's Sunday Times is running a feature around what appears to be a coffee table photo book "Roberto Bolle: Voyage into Beauty."  Seems there's yet another upsurge in chaps doing ballet classes etc etc in pursuit of a super-fit physique.

I have a stack of unread Style magazines, so I'll retrieve today's and actually look at it!

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, Bolle was featured quite prominently on Buzzfeed (I think they were mostly topless pictures from his twitter/fb feed). I wasn't entirely sure whether it should have gone into links, but it's always nice to see him appreciated outside the ballet world ;-)

• 1 month later...

For one day only (tomorrow), full access to FT.com.  So you can go and catch up with all those reviews by Crisp and Levene that you've missed :)

FINANCIAL TIMES

In a complex world, the FT helps cut through the noise to bring you clarity on the things that matter to you the most, every day of the week. 

Tomorrow (9th September), staying ahead of the game is even easier, with free FT.com content all day. So linger over the latest insightful articles, immerse yourself in thought-provoking comment and enjoy. 

See what FT.com could do for you – and why over half a million of your peers subscribe. 

Sorry about the formatting: I don't seem to be able to do much about it!

• 2 weeks later...

Only just spotted a small piece in yesterday's Sunday Times - Eric Underwood talking about snobbery and elitism in ballet. This subject is hardly new and in my opinion, Mr Underwood does little other than to trot out the same old, rather simplistic argument, without offering anything in the way of an answer.  Apparently,having already done some outreach work, he is planning to tour the country talent spotting and teaching children from 'rough areas' about ballet. He then rather puts a spanner in the works by stressing the huge cost of being a dancer and saying that if it were less expensive, there might be more dancers from different walks of life.

Unfortunately though, it is expensive so what do you do?

There is a comment from Kevin O'Hare but I am not sure if I am overstepping how much I can say about an article, so I will leave it there.

• Like 1

Does Underwood mention the huge outreach programme that the RB runs in London? It comes to every primary school in certain boroughs (it came to my children's school in Lambeth), runs workshops and selects children for further training, which I believe is free and lasts until the end of year 6. I understand that children who are already having ballet lessons are not able to take part in the scheme as the scheme is aimed at children who might not otherwise have the opportunity to take ballet lessons.

Does Underwood mention the huge outreach programme that the RB runs in London? It comes to every primary school in certain boroughs (it came to my children's school in Lambeth), runs workshops and selects children for further training, which I believe is free and lasts until the end of year 6. I understand that children who are already having ballet lessons are not able to take part in the scheme as the scheme is aimed at children who might not otherwise have the opportunity to take ballet lessons.

No, Underwood doesn't mention this but Kevin O'Hare does. Mr O'Hare says that ballet is 'not that posh' and has been made more accessible through cinema screenings of performances and the Chance to Dance scheme, which works with schools to introduce ballet to children aged 7 - 8.

Only just spotted a small piece in yesterday's Sunday Times - Eric Underwood talking about snobbery and elitism in ballet. This subject is hardly new and in my opinion, Mr Underwood does little other than to trot out the same old, rather simplistic argument, without offering anything in the way of an answer.  Apparently,having already done some outreach work, he is planning to tour the country talent spotting and teaching children from 'rough areas' about ballet. He then rather puts a spanner in the works by stressing the huge cost of being a dancer and saying that if it were less expensive, there might be more dancers from different walks of life.

Unfortunately though, it is expensive so what do you do?

There is a comment from Kevin O'Hare but I am not sure if I am overstepping how much I can say about an article, so I will leave it there.

Aren't we all tired of hearing about "snobbery and elitism in ballet" when clearly so much is being done by the ROH and other organisations to be inclusive and non-elitist.

Just look at last Saturday's Family R&J performance at ROH, and all the activities they organise for children and their families attending a performance for the first time, and also tomorrow's R&J School Performance! Which other company in the world puts in so much effort giving the less privileged access to Ballet, Opera and various Educational programs?

Mr. Eric Underwood seems to have no concrete ideas himself and keeps singing the same old song, whilst modelling high-end luxury brands. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Sunday Times Culture section has a spread entitled "Watch Them Soar" and features 5 young dancers to look out for this season:

Laurretta Summerscales (24) (ENB)

Matthew Ball (21) (RB)

Natasha Gooden (26) (ZooNation)

William Bracewell (24) (BRB)

Cordelia Braithwaite (21) (New Adventures)

Each piece has a photo, an interview (choice?; criticism?; highlight?; challenge?; ambitions? etc) plus a comment from each dancer's AD.

I'll risk quoting from the ADs. Tamara Rojo says, "I see Laurretta as a principal dancer with an international career. Her technique, musicality and emotional instinct make her a stage animal". Kevin O'Hare says of Matthew, "Although he's so young, he's already an artist. Choreographers light up when they see him". Kate Prince says, " When I first saw Natasha, I couldn't keep my eyes off her........She's a dynamo, an incredible burst of energy, an inspirational teacher........".  David Bintley says, "What isn't special about William? He absolutely goes for it - there's no hanging back. He's almost perfect in terms of what a classical dancer could be". Matthew Bourne says of Cordelia, "A definite star in the making - she is natural and instinctive..... She makes original acting choices and creates moments of real beauty on stage".

• Like 1

The Sunday Times tomorrow has an article about Yasmine Naghdi's and Matthew Ball's matinee performance on 3rd October http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/culture/arts/article1616441.ece.

I stopped my online subscription last year so don't have access to the full article however the paragraphs that are visible speak of "captivating debuts".

• Like 1

I thought one of the most interesting things about the ST article on Steven McRae was the photo of him with his wife and baby.  It's credited to Xander Parrish - another dancer building a second career in photography?

The other bit I liked was when he named his best investment as the engagement ring he bought for his wife (Elizabeth Harrod): "because getting married to her was the best thing I’ve ever done".  Lovely!

Linda

I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this brief quote.

• Like 2

In the Style supplement of today's Sunday Times there is also an interview with Alessandra Ferri.

That bit was missing from my local library, along with the Culture section.  I guess putting security tags in each section is proving too expensive :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not really an article, but I thought I'd copy Jane's comments here as well:

(Don't know if this has already been flagged somewhere else - apologies if so!)

This morning's Times has a large picture of James Forbat (worth a look if your'e a fan) captioned:

Pop culture: James Forbat, of the English National Ballet, rehearses a routine for the Queen song Bohemian Rhapsody. It will be broadcast on BBC4 tomorrow.

(The Times is having a very balletic week - we've already had 3 RB photos in the main news section.)

A link to the piece has been on the Gruniad's website since yesterday. I had a look and it is very cute; involving a quartet and choir as well as James and Erina (I think it's Erina but was watching on my phone without glasses so not a very clear picture for me!).

• 3 weeks later...

The Times has recently had a feature entitled The Real Stars of 2015. For Dance, Debra Craine picked Vadim Muntagirov who, she says, ".......is proving himself the most adaptable and talented of ballet's leading men."

I note that Clement Crisp, in looking ahead to 2016, also lauds Muntagirov as providing "......an example of dancing that is unalloyed and life-enhancing".

I agree!

• Like 12