"Times" Watch - and other behind-paywall articles

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is: there's MicroporeTM and there's microporous tape.  In my experience, the former sticks to the feet and the latter doesn't, especially the very cheapo one that I've currently got in the bathroom cabinet.

Wow, this is getting really off-topic, isn't it?!

Today's Sunday Times has a News feature on RB dancer, Solomon Golding and his brother, awarded the Sword of Honour at a Sandhurst Graduation Parade on Friday.  Two remarkable young men.

Yes - a nice piece. Unfortunately, the author seems to confuse Solomon with Matthew Golding as he describes the former as "an internationally renowned dancer".

Today's Times has an article entitled "The World's first holographic ballet is a true dancing feat".

The development features Osipova and Polunin and enables the writer to rehearse many familiar quotes about "the lovers" not being allowed to dance together when they only want to dance together.

The process is stated to be as follows (I paraphrase):

• the dancing is recorded against a screen
  • this is subject to holographic rendering on a computer
  • the footage is projected onto  metallic screens to give a 3D image

•  

• 1 month later...

Good news was that the Mariinsky will be back in 2017.

Sorry - just scrolling back and noticed this for the first time - can I ask if Lillian Hochhauser specified the Mariinsky Ballet as opposed to the Mariinsky Opera please? I'm quite happy to see either but, though I seem to remember that Gergiev has taken the Opera Company to other parts of the UK in recent years, it seems quite a while since he brought it to the Metropolis. 

Firstly, although I threw the newspaper away I'm almost positive that the Mariinsky Ballet itself will be back at the ROH next summer.

And thanks for alerting me to today's article in the magazine, I had put it to one side, but will read it later, great photos of Denis Rodkin in particular, there's also an interview with Olga Smirnova in Dance Europe, the Bolshoi isn't far away now!

It's an interesting article in which Ms Osipova states (or is quoted) that she feels at home at the RB and not only hopes, but expects, Polunin to return to the company on a permanent basis.

It will be fascinating to see how this plays out.

Linda

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 1

I think people might be misunderstanding Osipova's statement a bit here. To quote what she said exactly: 'I would be really happy if there was a chance for him to come and dance there — and I think the audience would as well.' This seems to me to imply that she would like it if he could guest at the RB, something I have heard they have been negotiating for a while now. Nowhere in the article does it say anything about becoming a principal on a permanent basis. 

• Like 2

She also says (of the RB)

"I am pretty sure this is my company, and I’m stable, sticking there. I think it is Sergei’s company as well. It used to be his home......  and his way of dancing and his style are so suitable for that place".

I don't think he would return at a lower rank than principal but this is simply speculation and for all we know, she could have been misquoted.  I was just wondering out loud.

Linda

"A Lesson In Love " - David Jays has an interview with the Royal Ballet's Emma Maguire and her sister, Kerry, in the Culture supplement of today's Sunday Times -  a poignant reminder of another cruel killing in a Leeds classroom some two years ago.  (I had not picked up before that Kerry, now an osteopath, had also gone to the White Lodge.)

• Like 1

Today's S.Times also has a piece about Pavel Dmitrichenko following his release from prison, in which he says he was fitted up over the attack on Sergei Filin and that he would love to dance with the Bolshoi again.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 1

It appears that the Times website will permit free access for 24 hours from midnight tonight, essentially for Referendum results:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-eu-referendum-today-mngwm8cdp

However, it may also mean that access to archives, reviews etc will be possible during tomorrow - Best of Luck!

• Like 2