The Royal Ballet: Don Quixote, 2014

To all of us/you planning to go tomorrow night - is she or isn't she? Osipova is still listed as dancing. So far so good. However - and yes I'm paranoid - when I received the usual ROH reminder to tell me I'm coming (annoying in a way!), I noticed they've actually scheduled an announcement from 7.30-7.31. Is that usual?

In this case it is unusual because the performance is scheduled to start at 7 p.m.

http://www.roh.org.uk/events/99yyh

Edited for adding the link.

Edited by Amelia

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to rant and rave. Firstly thank you for those in the know to let us not in the know know. Much appreciated. Two visiting Austrian friends of mine are going to DQ tomorrow. I saw Marienela last time round - she's wonderful - but I booked for Osipova for me and a friend so, I'm going to let this one go. I doubt that January 5 is going to happen with original casting so I'll make my mind up later. Was there on the 20th so I'm aware of what happened and I have nothing but admiration for the way she managed till the end of act one, and am full of sympathy for the plight she's in. Nothing to be done. But I'm not so sure that it's fair of roh to still show both her an Golding as still dancing tomorrow when it's not the case. It's unfair on the probable minority who booked for a specific performer (...and yes I read the small print), whereas the majority is not so worried. It's not so much the money (I only do the less expensive seats in the amphi) it's the fact that so many have booked trains, arranged treats for friends etc etc. I could cope with tbc appearing instead of the injured person's name. And I'd welcome a TIMELY explanatory e-mail - it doesn't need to be apologetic. I've been a ROH regular since November 1976, but I'm starting to get very disappointed in the lack of communication when - ironically - communication has become so easy thanks to social media. Anyway, there are far more serious problems in the world, so I'll look forward to Osipova in Onegin, Swan, Temperaments, Fille...and I'm hoping the second run of Song of the Earth.

Like you, Vanartus, I booked to specifically see Osipova ( on the 5th so fingers crossed ) having seen Nela the last time around, so I can understand your disappointment but in fairness to the RB it is a hard call to on the one hand give the artist as much time as possible to recover but have a replacement ready and available in the event of injury.  I am not sure how they could send an email as they have to be addressed individually but the use of Twitter is the best they can do. If Natalie is still crocked I would not be crying to see Nela again as she was/is wonderful.

Not one to defend the ROH but they did announce on twitter( @RoyalOperaHouse and  @TheRoyalBallet ) that there was a change of cast as well as an announcement on news section ofthe front page of the website and the news section on the main page for Don Q. Not sure why they haven't changed the actual casting under the date but it the information is there.

(Edited to clarify the final sentence)

Edited by Shirley

I'm quite happy with the replacement cast. Yes, Osipova would make me even happier but she's injured so I'll just keep my fingers crossed for Onegin

I'm now seeing Nunez / Soares twice this run and also saw them in the last run when Kaneko was injured. Seeing that they were not originally cast to dance together for either run, they seem to be giving quite a few performances...

This is disappointing, particularly if anyone wanted to see Golding. I've already got a ticket for Nunez/Soares (a good one by my standards, courtesy of Get Into London Theatre - so presume I won't be able to return that one), so really don't need to see them twice.

• Like 1

My sympathy for people's disappointment , but:

Nunez is an outstanding Kitri

I don't  think most of us  go just  to see one performer but to see the performance as a whole.

I don't think RB should behave as if the ballet was a star vehicle.

Injuries are a sad fact of life and we all know it.

The ROH seems to have behaved reasonably in this case, as it usually does in my view.

I know we've had this discussion before so I shall shut up now!

• Like 1

Nunez is an outstanding Kitri

I don't  think most of us  go just  to see one performer but to see the performance as a whole.

I don't think RB should behave as if the ballet was a star vehicle.

I agree. The only problem is that, as in this instance, one can sometimes end up seeing the same leads many times and a bit of variety doesn't come amiss.

• Like 1

In this case it is unusual because the performance is scheduled to start at 7 p.m.

Well thank you for pointing out this start time, Amelia! If I hadn't have happened to see your post I would have turfed up for 7.30 as per usual on a week night that isn't a holiday. Does anyone know why it is starting early? It's not a holiday today or tomorrow?! It means me having to leave work early, etc. etc. Not a big problem at all; luckily my boss is away....but it seems a bit random to start at 7.00, unless all weekday evening performances are starting at this time over the holiday period?

An interesting chain of opinions - and I completely understand the complexity of communicating cast changes in a way which allows for developments but doesn't result in a rush of ticket re-sales. And the Xmas shut down doesn't help. Re the possibilities of mass-mailings, I think a mail base communication to Friends would be possible, as could be one for all registered customers. Whether it's desirable or necessary is another matter. However I would welcome it. Re the question of star performers, well the Royal and "we" have been here before. Whereas it's true that Osipova is a member of the RB and not guest artist, and as such a team player which can of course be replaced by another team player, I think it's disingenuous to maintain that such a replacement is as easy as that. DQ is a ballet that is a lot about "the star vehicle" (I have to say it's not one of favourites so...) and I don't think people are being overly superficial to book around a specific performance in this case. And I think a sense of genuine disappointment in the case of Osipova is understandable owing to the particular qualities she brings to the role of Kitri.

Well thank you for pointing out this start time, Amelia! If I hadn't have happened to see your post I would have turfed up for 7.30 as per usual on a week night that isn't a holiday. Does anyone know why it is starting early? It's not a holiday today or tomorrow?! It means me having to leave work early, etc. etc. Not a big problem at all; luckily my boss is away....but it seems a bit random to start at 7.00, unless all weekday evening performances are starting at this time over the holiday period?

Could it be because it is during the established 'holiday period' and they wanted to appeal to families who have younger children, whereas an opera like 'Ballo' could not be placed in that category and begins at 7.30 pm.  I wonder too if has to do with the fact that the next day there is a DQ matinee beginning at 12.00 noon and there may be a provision about adequate rest periods for the dancers/musicians.  Again, these are just guesses on my part.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

I think the matinee on the 30th begins at 12.30 unless it's changed since last week?!

I'm hoping to go up to see if can get a ticket as it's Muntagirov dancing(with Akada) as last week when checked was sold out already.

Oh, you may well be right, LinMM.  I am in the middle of writing a report for the Arts Council so I fear I do not have my ticket with me ... and little time.  That's for tomorrow (he reminds his brain).  It was early though I recall.  Bless you for the correction.  I wouldn't want to mislead anyone.  Bless you.

I think the matinee on the 30th begins at 12.30 unless it's changed since last week?!

I'm hoping to go up to see if can get a ticket as it's Muntagirov dancing(with Akada) as last week when checked was sold out already.

LinMM

I have a ticket for sale for this cast on Saturday evening if that's of interest.

I've sent you a PM.

Stephen

I have had cast change E-mails in the past when it involves opera, full of profuse apologies, in fact I believe I had at least 4 personal E-mails for Robert le Diable, cast change, cast changed back, another cast change, and finally a change in running time, I was amused and remember thinking it would never have happened for ballet, opera does seem to have slightly higher status, I'm also an ordinary Friend it that means anything. 

Really sorry to hear today's news, I have a ticket for the 5th and hope a decision is made soon.

Well I see from Twitter that Marianela was doing some phenomenal pirouettes..! So hope all who went enjoyed that at least!

It's a shame that Golding doesn't get to do it though, couldn't he have danced with another Kitri? :/

An absolutely fantastic performance as Basilio from Vadim Muntagirov this afternoon which really lifted Act 1 in particular. It seems that there is no role that this wonderful dancer cannot bring off.

There were also, in my view, some excellent supporting performances from Jonathan Howells (Sancho Panza), Alastair Marriott (Kitri's Father) and Thomas Whitehead (Gamache) - each, in their own way showing that 'less is often more' (if you know what I mean).

I didn't feel that the women fared so strongly in this particular show.

And I still can't get 'with' the dowdy costumes, the draining orchestration and over long gypsy sequence in this production.

Yes, a very good debut by Vadim, with some incredible jumps. I liked Akane but she's not flashy enough to make a really top notch Kitri. She was best in the more 'classical' passages although her hops on pointe at the end of Act 3 were fantastic. The one handed lifts were spectacular and the pdd at the beginning of Act 2 was really dreamy. I don't know whether it's because it's my first Don Q this year, but I enjoyed Act 1 more than last year. I felt that it went with a bit more of a swing which might have been to do with the lively pace of the music. I've yet to see a really good Queen of the Dryads.

• Like 1

Persuaded my family to all come with me to the matinee. They all really enjoyed it although I think the mime was a bit much for them! We were very high up so I missed being able to see their faces and feet but the production was really good.

The men, especially Vadim, were amazing, and the lift were incredible. I felt the women struggled more with the solos, especially the Italian fouettes or fouettes in general. However, I overall liked Takada's Kitri, I thought the bond between her and Vadim came across well.

The timing seemed a bit off in the group dances at the beginning weren't quite together enough. I loved the vision seen and the Amour variation.

Mostly I'm just being picky, I loved the whole thing and was probably smiling like crazy for most of it!

• Like 1

I don't think that you are being picky at all. If you find that there are things missing in a performance then they almost certainly are missing even if the majority of the audience are unaware of them. I agree that Muntagirov gave a fine performance but that the women struggled and that the corps were ragged in places.

Some years ago an eminent American critic wrote of the Royal Ballet's performances of Ashton's works that they were imperfectly cast and coached. I think that on the present showing much the same can be said of the Royal's Don Q where in general performances lack panache.Don Q is not a ballet in which the story line matters at all; at its best it is an excuse for a feast of larger than life dancing. It calls for dancers who are at home with demi-character work. I know that the Royal does not go in for old style emploi but Kitri is essentially a soubrette role. I find it difficult to believe that apart from Nunez and Marquez the company does not have a single soubrette to its name but that is what the company's casting of this work suggests is the case.

Acosta has been involved in this revival coaching the Principals but that does not mean that he has had any say in casting this ballet least of all the lesser roles such as the Queen of the Dryads.The casting so far suggests that, at present, the company does not have someone who can dance the Queen of the Dryads. The company had similar problems with casting a decent Lilac Fairy when they last performed Sleeping Beauty. It is difficult to believe that there is no one in the company who can perform the choreography for these roles with accuracy and confidence. Perhaps management is not looking in the right places or perhaps they do not think that it matters after all people are buying tickets.

• Like 3

I was thinking, as I watched Act 2 of Don Q at the ROH  yesterday, that ENB has at least two dancers, not of Principal rank, who have proved they can dance the Lilac Fairy beautifully and would, surely, make wonderful Queens of the Dryads.

To be honest, I also found yesterday's Mercedes somewhat under par. But, then, once one has seen Laura Morera in the role........!!!!

Now, Kevin O'Hare,  how about giving her (Laura, I mean) next Monday's show as Kitri?

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3