Ballet in the cinema - 2012-13 season

Is the RB Ashton Bill not being shown widely in July?  Seems such a shame that it seems to be on limited release especially as it was trailered at the start of Alice.

It seems that a recording of the  Ashton mixed bill is now being screened quite widely at Odeon cinemas.  Monday 15 July at 8.30.  Booking has already opened at my local Odeon

• Like 1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are they starting it at 8.30 pm on a schoolnight with a 3 hour running time? I know it's the last week of term for us but getting home at midnight on a Monday night is going to be a no-no. :-((

Also, the Odeon is showing a repeat screening of the Steven/Roberta La Fille on Monday August 5th. Unfortunately at the moment it is only at the Covent Garden cinema but I hope more will follow. I notice in the ROH financial statement it said it was the 5th highest grossing box office of the day so this probably merits getting it another screening though for me it would be the fabulous performance of everyone concerned especially Steven and Roberta.

It seems that a recording of the  Ashton mixed bill is now being screened quite widely at Odeon cinemas.  Monday 15 July at 8.30.  Booking has already opened at my local Odeon

Ooh thank you I will check it out!!  Fingers x'd.

I hope it is being shown near you.  I am chuffed to bits as I did not get to ROH to see this

Woohoo I got it booked at my local Vue Cinema along with Fille!!!  So glad you will get to see it too it was beautiful back in February but I can't wait to see it large on the big screen too and I hope there will be interviews in between too!  Hope you enjoy the show!

Woohoo I got it booked at my local Vue Cinema along with Fille!!!  So glad you will get to see it too it was beautiful back in February but I can't wait to see it large on the big screen too and I hope there will be interviews in between too!  Hope you enjoy the show!

I am glad you got it booked.  I am sure I shall enjoy it!  You too I hope

I see the Odeon Culture Plus is now showing details of possibly all the Royal Ballet cinema broadcasts though there seemed to be 2 entries each for Giselle and Sleeping Beauty. There is also a 3rd screening of the Bolshoi (Osipova/Vasiliev) Don Q scheduled for (would you believe!) 16th October the same date as the Royal Ballet's Live broadcast of Don Q. How's that for great scheduling!! I have emailed the Odeon pointing this out and asking for the recording to be moved. it's only scheduled for Muswell Hill at the moment and I don't think booking has opened. Do the Odeon never look at their own scheduling??? Joan

• 3 weeks later...

I see the Odeon have now removed the Bolshoi Don Q from their schedules. Perhaps they were just getting it confused with the Royal Ballet production rather than scheduling both on the same day. Also Covent garden is still the only cinema currently scheduling the Macrae/Marquez repeat showing of La Fille. Surely Covent garden have enough ballet at the theatre without also showing the only repeat performance of la Fille? I would love to see this performance again in Blackpool or Preston.

Watford Palace Theatre and Watford Vue are showing Fille on Monday 5th August. I think I am all Filled out as the Leslie Collier dvd fondly called 'Chicken Dancing' was my grand daughter's favourite when she was tiny :)

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but if any of you are catching any of these performances at Showcase cinemas it's definitely worth picking up an Insider card. It's completely free and reduces the tickets of most shows. Tonight I'm checking out the Ashton RB showing and tickets are £7 with an Insider card rather than £10. Also, you can print out a 'temporary card' too (or show it on your phone) so even if you're going down tonight you can still get the discount! :)

It also gets you £5 cinema tickets on Sunday evening and all day Monday and Tuesday, so it's definitely worth keeping in your wallet if you're a cinema goer. And no, I don't work for Showcase, I'm just skint so I'm always looking for money saving methods!  ;)

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 1

Useful tip, thanks BBB.  Picturehouse Cinemas also have some sort of membership scheme which gets you discounts on arts events screenings, but you have to pay quite a bit for it.  (You do I think get 3 free "standard" cinema admissions as well, but that's only helpful if it's a relatively local cinema to you, and not one you only travel to for arts events).

• Like 1

The Ashton Bill was fabulous on the big screen - i found it better than the live theatre as you could see the dancers so much better than miles away on the Balcony/Amphi at ROH.  Marguerite & Armand was beautiful and it was great to see Tamara's last performance at ROH and the flower throw was a real treat.  Leanne Benjamin and Valery Hristov were great in Thais and Alexander Campbell and Yuhui Choe were fab in Voices of Spring.  Monotones 1 and 2 were good and I preferred 1 on screen.  The only ballet that did not translate well to the screen was La Valse - as with the stage too many dancers and it looked a bit messy - it was hard to see the men as they were wearing black against black scenery - it was nice but but not clear enough.  I can't wait for the DVD to come out it will be well worth having - the little interviews were wonderful as well and I would hope they will be on the DVD too.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

The Ashton Bill was fabulous on the big screen - i found it better than the live theatre as you could see the dancers so much better than miles away on the Balcony/Amphi at ROH.  Marguerite & Armand was beautiful and it was great to see Tamara's last performance at ROH and the flower throw was a real treat.  Leanne Benjamin and Valery Hristov were great in Thais and Alexander Campbell and Yuhui Choe were fab in Voices of Spring.  Monotones 1 and 2 were good and I preferred 1 on screen.  The only ballet that did not translate well to the screen was La Valse - as with the stage too many dancers and it looked a bit messy - it was hard to see the men as they were wearing black against black scenery - it was nice but but not clear enough.  I can't wait for the DVD to come out it will be well worth having - the little interviews were wonderful as well and I would hope they will be on the DVD too.

I was about to comment on this and wondering if anyone else had been, so good to hear from you Don Q Fan!  My local Odeon was only a third full which is very unusual these days for ballet performances, they are usually sold out. I do not usually like mixed bills and hardly ever book to see them in the theatre.  Nor am I over familiar with the work of Frederick Ashton so this was a change for me, and a delightful one.  A wholly Ashton bill brought home to me his unique and very different style which I had not appreciated before and I could see why people say it is difficult to dance.  I agree with Don Q Fan mostly.  I thought the camera work in La Valse was ill judged.  Far too close in so you could not always see the patterns the dancers were creating so that it just looked messy.  My personal favourite was Voices of Spring.  Five minutes of pure delight and charm and of course Margeurite and Armand which was so beautiful and touching.  The icing on the cake was being able to see the curtain calls, the flower throw etc.  A wonderful evening.  I was sad that it was not well attended

Final thought; I think this could be the DVD, if you see what I mean

• Like 1

I'm afraid part of the responsibility for the poor ticket sales (apart from the hot weather, but then most cinemas have air-conditioning) lies with the Odeon: not producing any arts-events leaflets, sneaking this into a lot of cinemas late on, and still resisting the surely obvious idea of setting up a mailing-list specifically to cover these events for those who are interested.  I considered going, but unfortunately pressure of work, ill-health and the fact that the bill was made up largely of some of my least-favourite pieces of Ashton conspired against.

There were barely a handful of people at the screening at my local picturehouse cinema. I don't think the Ashton bill was even added to the schedule until the last couple of weeks as I'd checked the Screen Arts section of the website about a month ago and was very disappointed to see no ROH productions whatsoever for the next year. (VERY relieved to see that they are going to be showing the RB live broadcasts after all!).

Am sure it would have been far better attended if it had been added to the schedule sooner. Anyway, I really enjoyed the first four performances but struggled to stay awake after that - due to tiredness and pregnancy, not boredom - and missed most of Marguerite and Armand because I couldn't stop nodding off :( Gutted about that.

There were three of us in my local cinema, which was a shame. I didn't like La Valse too much but I think that had more to do with camera work than anything. Hikaru Kobayashi did well as one of the three girls. I don't like Thais too much but Leanne and Valeri danced it well. Voices of Spring was absolutely charming. Monotones 1 and 2 was interesting, well danced as expected but suffered with costumes. M and A was very good, Christopher Saunders did well as the father and Tamara Rojo's shambling walk offstage en pointe was heartbreaking.