Ballet in the cinema - 2012-13 season

Thought I'd start a new thread since details of next year's cinema showings are starting to filter out.

The Bolshoi seems to be increasing their output: http://www.pathelive...lchoi-2012-2013

Royal Ballet:

Swan Lake, 23rd Oct. 2012: Yanowsky/Kish

The Nutcracker (that's 3 now, isn't it? I'll be giving that one a miss!) 13th Dec. 2012 (Marquez/McRae)

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 28th March 2013, casting tbc

(The Royal Opera are doing 6, including Les Troyens and La Donna del Lago, for those who are interested)

Edit: Just found the details, but not on the ROH website as I'd have expected: http://www.more2screen.com/our-content/now-booking/royal-opera-house-season-201213/the-royal-opera-house/

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very disappointed with the Royal Ballets choice of broadcasts. All have been shown fairly recently either on tv or at the cinema. I don't think I'll be going to any and, living in Lancashire, I rely a lot on the cinema broadcasts. I've said it before but I'll say it again, what is the problem of recording Onegin? Is it Reid Anderson? The fact that 2 performances have been officially recorded; the Marcia Haydee one and Canadian Ballet must have meant either Cranko himself or Reid Anderson gave permission then so why not now? it is such a beautiful ballet (possibly my favourite), it deserves a modern recording.

Bolshoi cinema broadcasts are more interesting though I was disappointed with the music for Lost Illusions. I don't see the point of rejecting what was probably a quite tuneful and traditional score by Asafiev and having a rather spiky modern score created for a ballet set in the 18th (?) century. The Vasiliev/Osipova Don Q is definately worth a second broadcast, though I hope this doesn't mean the dvd is going to be delayed even more. When I contacted BelAir Classique they said they were releasing it sometime this year but I don't know what's taking them so long as it is over a year after the original broadcast and I would have thought it is the dvd everyone is waiting for. Joan

I'm very disappointed with the Royal Ballets choice of broadcasts. All have been shown fairly recently either on tv or at the cinema.

I think that's part of the trouble, Joan: all the RB's full-length works next season (barring Onegin, I think, which they don't have the right to film) have already been shown in the cinema, except for Alice, which will at least be different from the TV version owing to the changes since made. Pretty much everything in terms of full-lengthers that can be DVD'd has already been, so it's natural that things are going to start coming round again - just as we spoilt Londoners start going "oh, not Swan Lake again!" :). I suppose they think it's better to make the best-known items available so as to reach the maximum of people (and of course the Bolshoi are doing Bayadère, although I don't know whether that was a factor, but we know that the clash of Sleeping Beauties last year wasn't terribly helpful. Personally, if there was a really good (i.e. well-known) triple bill going, I'd be happy to see that, but that may be a step too far as yet, anyway.

As for the Canadian Onegin, I note that it has never come out on DVD, so must have failed to pass muster in some respect :(

I did wonder if they might have broadcast the Viscera/Infra/Fool's Paradise (Scarlett/MacGregor/Wheeldon) triple bill as a follow up to the Polyphonia/Sweet Violets/Carbon Life triple bill - hoping to retain some of the younger audience who came for the spectacle around the MacGregor work. I agree though, that it may have been a step too far at the moment.

As a relative newcomer to ballet it seems like in the past (especially during Darcey Bussell's peak) there were ballet performances broadcast on the BBC. I know they have shown RB's Alice and BRB's Cinderella the last couple of Christmases, but I think it's a real shame they don't have, for example, a monthly ballet performance (be it on BBC2, BBC3 or BBC4). All three of the 'big' companies (RB, BRB, ENB) are doing really exciting pieces at the moment and I have heard great things coming out of Scottish Ballet, Ballet Cymru, Northern Ballet etc. It would be great to have a showcase for the amazing wealth of talent we have here in the UK, but I guess it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

• Like 3

I was thinking more of something the general public might have heard of, such as The Firebird. (I can't remember the makeup of any of the mixed bills next season, so don't know if any of them would have been worth the risk). The only proper mixed bill I've seen at the cinema so far was the POB Diaghilev mixed bill a couple of years ago - and that didn't do that well, either.

As for TV, David, you'll get me started on one of my favourite hobbyhorses again :). Time was when, if something was recorded at the ROH, it would turn up on the BBC sooner or later. Some of the recent recordings (the MacMillan triple, Manon, R&J, Tales of Beatrix Potter) have indeed done so, yet there are a lot which haven't (La Bayadère, Ondine, Mayerling, Swan Lake, Les Patineurs). As a taxpayer-subsidised company, it's surely appropriate that the output should be screened on non-paid for TV where everyone can have the opportunity to see it if they wish. I'm not sure where the fault lies here: I know the BBC keep trotting out the excuse that it's oh-so-difficult to fit performances into their terribly rigid schedule - which will surely not stop them from extending the live snooker next week if it proves necessary!

• Like 6

I was thinking more of something the general public might have heard of, such as The Firebird. (I can't remember the makeup of any of the mixed bills next season, so don't know if any of them would have been worth the risk). The only proper mixed bill I've seen at the cinema so far was the POB Diaghilev mixed bill a couple of years ago - and that didn't do that well, either.

As for TV, David, you'll get me started on one of my favourite hobbyhorses again :). Time was when, if something was recorded at the ROH, it would turn up on the BBC sooner or later. Some of the recent recordings (the MacMillan triple, Manon, R&J, Tales of Beatrix Potter) have indeed done so, yet there are a lot which haven't (La Bayadère, Ondine, Mayerling, Swan Lake, Les Patineurs).

I've just checked the recordings I have from the ROH. All those which have been screened by the BBC have the BBC logo on the insert and accompanying booklet. This doesn't appear on the works which they didn't screen (eg La Bayadère and Mayerling) Interestingly, the disc featuring Les Patineurs, Divertissements and Scènes de Ballet has the BBC logo, presumably because the Divertissements and Scènes come from a BBC screening even though Les Patineurs doesn't..

Edited by Bluebird

Re ballet on BBC TV, I tried suggesting once since "there are scheduling problems (hmmm?)", couldn't we at least have as much ballet a month as there is football a week. I reluctantly grant football more air time as there are (probably?) more viewers interested in football than ballet, although I think the current allotted ratio is not right. Yes, I know 'Strictly....' is dancing airtime, but that is not ballet. Can you imagine the comments that would fly if some amateur 5-a-side was shown instead of some premier league match or international and the viewers told "but it's football"!

• Like 1

SkyArts broadcasted last years ballet and opera cinema broadcasts (including the Carlos Bayadere). I was surprised at the time as I thought the BBC had some sort of 'agreement' with the ROH and Opus Arte but perhaps the arts are going the way sport has been going for quite a few years - to the highest bidder - and these days that seems to be Sky. Though that is very frustrating for the majority of tv owners who haven't got Sky.

Also, as regards the choice of ballets for cinema broadcast, why couldn't they do La Sylphide this year? It is a lovely ballet and a bit different but still very traditional and Ballo della Regina sound traditional enough too.

Also agree with the previous poster who highlighted the wonderful programmes performed by Birmingham Ballet (the splendid Two Pigeons Double bill) and their Beauty and the Beast. Also Northern Ballet do some wonderful ballets too. I know I've mentioned this before but how can such a relatively small touring company stage a full length ballet every year (2 last year!) while a big company like the Royal ballet has to wait 17 years!! I know Northern Ballet have got David Nixon, a classical choreographer, but even so....

Joan

• 1 month later...

Also, as regards the choice of ballets for cinema broadcast, why couldn't they do La Sylphide this year? It is a lovely ballet and a bit different but still very traditional and Ballo della Regina sound traditional enough too.

Confirmation from the cast sheet this weekend that the Bolshoi's original Lost Illusions has been replaced by La Sylphide, so I hope that makes you happy.

Current dates are:

30th September - La Sylphide

21st October - Swan Lake

25th November - Pharoah's Daughter

16th December - Nutcracker

27th January - La Bayadère

10th February - Don Quixote

31st March - The Rite of Spring (hopefully with something else, to justify the £15 price tag!)

12th May - Romeo & Juliet (whose? I'm losing track)

Swan Lake, Nutcracker and Don Q are all recorded, not live.

In Canada, Cineplex is offering a season including not just the Bolshoi but also the Royal Ballet and Nederlands Dans Theater. Here is the schedule:

2012 September, Sunday 30th : BOLSHOI: LA SYLPHIDE(Live) (Lacotte version after Taglioni)

2012 October, Sunday 21st : ROYAL BALLET: LA FILLE MAL GARDEE (Recorded)

2012 November, Sunday 25th: BOLSHOI: THE PHARAOH’S DAUGHTER (Live)

2012 December, Thursday 13th : ROYAL BALLET: NUTCRACKER (Stephen McRae and Roberta Marquez)

2012 December, Saturday 22nd : ROYAL BALLET: NUTCRACKER (repeat)

2013 January, Sunday 27th : BOLSHOI: LA BAYADERE (Live)

2013 March, Thursday 28th: ROYAL BALLET: ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

2013 March, Sunday 31st : BOLSHOI: THE RITE OF SPRING (Live): new version by Wayne McGregor

2013 April, Sunday 7th: ROYAL BALLET: ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

2013 May, Sunday 12th : BOLSHOI: ROMEO AND JULIET (Live)

PLUS! Three broadcasts of Nederlands Dans Theater, dates to be confirmed but possibly 15 November, 20 December, and 7 February.

If you would like a "ballet buddy" to attend these broadcasts with in Toronto, please get in touch: toursenlair@gmail.com

That's interesting - so Canada's only getting the live Bolshoi performances, by the looks of it. Thanks for that, toursenlair.

BTW, I wasn't totally paying attention, but I thought Pathé Live were showing 4 dates for NDT, plus confirmed dates, although as I said elsewhere I'm not sure if we're getting them in the UK.

• 3 weeks later...

If I understood Kevin O'Hare correctly in the live relay tonight, the Ashton mixed bill is being added to the RB cinema broadcasts next year. Was anyone else there, and if so, can you confirm (or not)?

Interesting to see that the Bolshoi broadcast of La Sylphide is to be the Pierre Lacotte version, reconstructed from the original Taglioni version danced to the Schneitzhoeffer score as currently danced by the POB. The Bolshoi also has (or had) the Johann Kobborg version as danced by the Royal Ballet. This would be the third production by Lacotte for the Bolshoi. As well as "La Fille du Pharaon", he is to mount his production of "Marco Spada" for the company. This was made for the Rome Opera Ballet in the 80s, with Nureyev and Ghislaine Thesmar (Lacotte's wife and then etoile of the POB) in the principal roles.

Interesting to see that the Bolshoi broadcast of La Sylphide is to be the Pierre Lacotte version, reconstructed from the original Taglioni version danced to the Schneitzhoeffer score as currently danced by the POB. The Bolshoi also has (or had) the Johann Kobborg version as danced by the Royal Ballet.

Oh drat. Thanks for the clarification. What riches, to have *two* Sylphides!

Interesting to see that the Bolshoi broadcast of La Sylphide is to be the Pierre Lacotte version, reconstructed from the original Taglioni version danced to the Schneitzhoeffer score as currently danced by the POB. The Bolshoi also has (or had) the Johann Kobborg version as danced by the Royal Ballet. This would be the third production by Lacotte for the Bolshoi. As well as "La Fille du Pharaon", he is to mount his production of "Marco Spada" for the company. This was made for the Rome Opera Ballet in the 80s, with Nureyev and Ghislaine Thesmar (Lacotte's wife and then etoile of the POB) in the principal roles.

Where did you get that information ? The Bolshoi website still indicates it's Kobborg's production : http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/234/

If I understood Kevin O'Hare correctly in the live relay tonight, the Ashton mixed bill is being added to the RB cinema broadcasts next year. Was anyone else there, and if so, can you confirm (or not)?

Oh I do hope so. I too find the ROH cinema transmissions next season rather 'safe' and predictable

Oh I do hope so. I too find the ROH cinema transmissions next season rather 'safe' and predictable

A photo of the Period 2 listings page was put on Twitter last week. Next to one of the Ashton performances there is a symbol - the one that they use to indicate that filming will take place during that performance!

A photo of the Period 2 listings page was put on Twitter last week. Next to one of the Ashton performances there is a symbol - the one that they use to indicate that filming will take place during that performance!

Thank you Bluebird. We will await developments!

• 1 month later...

An update from Picturehouse cinemas on the new Bolshoi season: http://www.pictureho...ve_From_Moscow/

(That's live performances well, live, and pre-recorded ones whenever they feel like it, by the sounds of things.)

And on the new Royal Opera House season: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/News/item/Live_Ballet_And_Opera_From_The_Royal_Opera_House/

I bought my Sylphide and Pharoah's Daughter tickets last week. Watford Palace phoned to say that La Sylphide will be at 3:00 not 4:00 as advertised - I suppose the change of hour affects the time difference. Does anyone know if the Bolshoi version is similar to the RB - my 6 year old grand daughter will be with me so I am hoping the witches are not too scary :)

I'm very pleased if the Royal Ballet decide to screen the Ashton Quintuple (or is it Sextuple?) Bill - I agree completely with patsomerset that the Royal Ballet season is a little too 'predictable'. Indeed, having seen Nutcracker and Alice last season it is unlikely I'll head to the cinema (where a ticket is around £15). I am surprised they didn't try to capitalise on the new audience from the Carbon Life Triple Bill and broadcast the McGregor/Wheeldon/Scarlett Triple Bill.

• Like 1