Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what anyone else thinks regarding RBS Summer School but, wouldn't it be nice for them to show a little more loyalty to their own associates. I know it's obviously their own choice, but many travel week in week out, some from one side of the country to the other, in all weathers. Ours has been very lucky in the past, but there are many that would benefit greatly by getting a place. Just by being there,  would be remembered for the rest of their lives.

• Like 2

I don't know what anyone else thinks regarding RBS Summer School but, wouldn't it be nice for them to show a little more loyalty to their own associates. I know it's obviously their own choice, but many travel week in week out, some from one side of the country to the other, in all weathers. Ours has been very lucky in the past, but there are many that would benefit greatly by getting a place. Just by being there,  would be remembered for the rest of their lives.

It's a tricky subject isn't it - some would think that yes,Associates would gain greatly from the experience and feel more valued as Associate pupils whilst others might think,Associates benefit from the experience of dancing at RBS week in week out and all the other opportunities that come with the programme. I guess they will never please all people all of the time and RBS want to continue to scoop up unknown quantities from far and wide. It was a great source of sadness that my daughter only ever received SWL during her time as an Associate and because of this we have not submitted an application this year ... Maybe we'll try again next year.

I agree with balletqueen. If your child is a RBS associate and doesn't get a place at the summer school then that's just tough. There is a lovely dancer at my DD's local school who was turned down for JAs twice (possibly more) but got a place at the summer school last year and I was very pleased to hear this.

• Like 2

Hi in response to Vonrothbart my DD has had the privilege of being both a JA and now Mid associate with the Royal and has had wonderful opportunities within the associate programme in terms of visits to many workshops and other events that has made us all feel part of the Royal Ballet family. In amongst all of this my DD has had access to top teachers and physio and we certainly wouldn't question their loyalty in terms of having the children's best interests at heart.

My DD is totally aware of the processes that take place in terms of auditions and the International summer school and in response to Balletqueen it's certainly only fair that the associates are mixed into the general arena with all the other children.

Ax

Edited by amber21
  • Like 5

I'm sorry but I totally disagree, there are plenty of children that would love an experience with the rbs, why should those who are already a ja or Ma have an advantage over all over children just because they already train with them?

That would be even better ballet queen, what I probably should have said was loyalty to more British girls at local schools etc, I'm fully aware it's an international summer school, but I'd be interested in the stats. Hey don't think it's sour grapes, we've been lucky, I was thinking more of the dancers you mention.

• Like 1

Hi my DD has also had the privilege of being. JA and she is now in her final year as a MA and she has been given a lot of wonderful opportunity s . My DD is aware what happens at auditions and fully understands how selective the Royal Ballet school is . I think the Royal are fair and give everyone a shot to apply weather they are associates internationals or from another dance school.

• Like 5

Waiting here too - There is such a slim chance of getting a place, but it holds up all the other applications because everything hinges on dates and budget.

Good luck to everyone waiting. Hopefully we shall hear by Friday as promised!

• Like 1

The email we received saying that they would let us know by 30th January instead of 30th December mentioned the reason was because of the extra high volume of applications. Normally there are a huge number of applications, so if there are even more than usual, it will be even harder to get a place. 

Sorry DD didn't get a place.

Have you considered Yorkshire Ballet summer School I'm sure she would love that!

Thanks LinMM - yes, we are considering that one. RBS and POB are her first choices so we were waiting for the results before trying to work out which other one she could do. To be honest, it was a bit stressful trying to find affordable accommodation in London. She would have had a long daily commute which she said she wouldn't complain about. Even Paris is half the price of London in July! She knew there was barely a chance of getting in, but still, it is horrible when they find out they have been rejected (again).