Royal Ballet Summer School.

Miracle

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I advised DD's selective academic school, rather than asking them, that DD was doing summer schools. They are after exams have finished and the last week or so of the school term is by no means crammed with actual work, so as far as I'm concerned DD was likely to gain far more from summer school. The school is very strict about attendance but have never queried my point that a place at summer school means that DD will be working very hard both physically and mentally. Had there ever been an issue, I would have pointed out that children who are talented at sports or music would not be denied absence from school to play for the county or country/participate in county or national orchestras or attend master classes.

To be fair though, DD is very academic and her results have always been excellent; I would have had a different attitude if this hadn't been the case. We have also reluctantly ignored the US summer schools as they start quite a while before the end of the school term.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What did everyone make of the watching classes yesterday? I preferred the demonstrations in Paris. Had more of an ending to it.

Were you at White Lodge yesterday, Pointeyourtoes, or Covent Garden?

I enjoyed watching very much (my DS was in Blue Boys class), however I agree, it was an odd sort of ending. The last class finished (10 minutes early too! Like the teacher ran out of stuff to do!) and then it was just: ok, bye! Make sure you are gone by 1pm!!! 

The classes were great to see, nice variety. But my DS also did WLSS 2 years ago, and then we had a full demonstration on the final morning in the Margot Fonteyn Theatre where we got to see demonstrations from all of the classes, usually three different dance styles from each class. Then at the end the certificates were presented to the kids who had done particularly well. That was fantastic, especially to see both boys and girls, and the older groups too. It was definitely more of a finale to the week!

And also, less limitation on how many parents could watch in the theatre. I found the 1-parent rule yesterday a bit irksome, especially for those who had travelled such a very long way to bring their children to the summer school. 

• Like 1

It was White Lodge and I felt the same. There were no introductions or sense of occasion and at the end the teacher just said safe journey and left. It was nice to watch the class but I preferred the demo at Paris that was introduced by the Artistic Director and felt important to them too.

• Like 1

Yes, everyone got a certificate of attendance but there were other certificates to recognise achievement. Two boys in my DS's group got them. Two years ago there were two different categories of certificate I think - one for achievement and one for progress perhaps?? No idea what they were this time around as they were handed out on Friday during the Classical class. (My DS was non-residential so I got a bit more info on a day-by-day basis!!)

My older DD did WL summer school years ago and it was really special at the end with all of the classes performing what they'd learned.  This time with three, hour long classes, I felt that all of the girls were tired, the class was very easy and there was no sense of occasion at the end.  That said, DD had a wonderful time and appreciated all of the corrections.

I do know that, in the past, parents have complained that they had hardly seen their child during the performance so I suppose that this is their compromise.

• Like 2

I think a lot of the girls felt a little like that from listening to them.

I remember how exciting it was being introduced to the Director of the school and seeing them all receive their certificates and awards.  My older DD still has the mug they gave her   ;)

It was White Lodge and I felt the same. There were no introductions or sense of occasion and at the end the teacher just said safe journey and left. It was nice to watch the class but I preferred the demo at Paris that was introduced by the Artistic Director and felt important to them too.

Pointeyourtoes, I was there too. I had the same feeling. Nice (and long!) classes, but not very well organized. Confused lines during the exercises. The Paris demo was more smooth and ...professional. But I like very much the coffee moment ;). My daughter was in Green class.

Edited by vmmom

Sorry for the messy message ;)

Angel are you talking about the green group? I think they offer some scholarship for the next RBSS in 2017 to some kids in various group.

Edited by vmmom

Sorry if I am being dim, is RBSS open to non vocational? X

Anyone can apply - getting in is another matter! They decide based on photos and information provided in the application form. I presume being a vocational student would be an advantage, to say the least, but non-voc can certainly apply. Their website says application details for summer 2017 will be available in September.

Edited by BlueLou

Were you in Green too vvmom? I think there was one girl in black that was very strong.

Yes Pointeyourtoes, my daughter was in Green. I think you are speaking about the German girl who is in 6th grade at Berlin School. Very strong tecnique for her age (14). ????

Vmmom they offered full time places in the red group. Assume there are no spaces in school in the other years of none were offered.

My daughter know they offer some place in red male group. They offer scholarship to an Italian girl but only for the next SI.