Dance Links w/b Sunday April 29, 2012

Links – Sunday April 29, 2012

Review - The Royal Ballet, La Fille mal gardée: Jane Simpson, DanceTabs

Review - Scottish Ballet, A Streetcar Named Desire, (v. the RB’s Sweet Violets) London: Luke Jennings, The Observer

Review - Scottish Ballet, A Streetcar Named Desire, London: 5 stars, Jenny Gilbert, Independent on Sunday

Review - Paris Opéra Ballet School, Spectacle de l’École de Danse: Rachel Mann, DanceTabs

Film - YAGP documentary, First Position: Laura Bleiberg, Los Angeles Times

Preview - Chet Walker’s Heat Wave: The Jack Cole Project, NY: Rebecca Milzoff, New York Times

Review - Sarasota Ballet, Theatre of Dreams: Carrie Seidman, Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Dances Made to Order - online dance film festival: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Review - Smuin Ballet, mixed bill: Janos Gereben, San Francisco Examiner

Today's Sunday Telegraph magazine, Stella, had an article about Tanaquil LeClercq, Balanchine's last wife. While looking for it unsuccessfully online, I found that it seems to have been repeated elsewhere: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=site%3Atelegraph.co.uk+tanaquil&meta=#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22first+etruscan+queen+of+rome%22+%22any+number+of+great%22&oq=%22first+etruscan+queen+of+rome%22+%22any+number+of+great%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=serp.3...34969.38875.1.38985.22.12.0.0.0.0.704.3328.5-3j2.5.0.E0meaHCMJRY&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d5fd5525fab42331&biw=1280&bih=603

so take your pick! (Not the NYT if you're short on your allocation for the month).

Louise Levene's review of Fille doesn't seem to be online yet, either, surprise, surprise.

I missed the article in Feb., so I'm glad the link was given again. Aside from the subject matter of the book, Tanaquil Leclercq, the article takes up the interesting question of fact versus fiction and an author's responsibility when writing of someone's life. How easy it is to shrug off this responsibility simply by calling a book a "novelization" rather than a biography.

Links – Monday April 30, 2012

Obituary - Moscelyne Larkin, a founder of Tulsa Ballet: Jack Anderson, New York Times

Review - Youth America Grand Prix gala (honouring Natalia Makarova), NY: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Review - Scottish Ballet, A Streetcar Named Desire, London:

Jann Parry,
DanceTabs

Ismene Brown,
The Arts Desk

Clement Crisp,
Financial Times

(praised by two, demolished by one!)

Review - San Francisco Ballet, Don Quixote: Allan Ulrich, San Francisco Chronicle

Review - Smuin Ballet, Swipe, Through, Symphony of Psalms: Claudia Bauer, San Francisco Chronicle

Review - Battery Dance Company, Perceptual Motion: Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal, Les Chambres des Jacques, Night Box, Erie: Steve Sucato, DanceTabs

Review - Dakshina/Daniel Phoenix Singh Dance Company, Lyric Suite: Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post

Review - Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet, mixed bill, LA: Debra Levine, Los Angeles Times

Review - Ballet Boyz, mixed bill, Beirut: India Stoughton, The Daily Star (Lebanon)

First dance injury clinic for NHS to open: Branwen Jeffreys, BBC News

Baryshnikov the actor again: Frank Rizzo, Hartford Courant

What’s on in NY: The New Yorker

Mark Morris world premiere part of Seattle’s On the Boards 2012-13 season: Misha Berson, Seattle Times

5 questions with Ballet Arizona's Ib Andersen: Raquel Velasco, East Valley Tribune

Interesting how out of sync Mr Crisp is with just about every other review I've read!! I unfortunately missed this production so can't comment, but in reply to another thread where the influence of critics was being discussed.....if I'd only read CC's I would have stayed at home and saved my money; if I hadn't read his and had just read the praiseful ones I'd have run along to SW. This is why I'm never influenced by critics; we get such wildly veering opinions that I wouldn't know which one I'd relate to, so I just go along to things that look like they might appeal to me!

• Like 2

Links – Tuesday May 1, 2012

Review - San Francisco Ballet, Don Quixote, SF:

Janos Gereben,
San Francisco Examiner
, and
here

Toba Singer,
California Literary Review

Review - International Ballet Festival, Dance Open, St Petersburg: Margaret Willis, DanceTabs

Review - Youth America Grand Prix gala (honouring Natalia Makarova), NY: Jocelyn Noveck, York Daily Record/AP

Review - City Contemporary Dance Company, Blind Chance, Hong Kong: Natasha Rogal, DanceTabs

The Space, a new UK live arts web channel opens: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk. The Space

Review - Bolshoi Ballet, The Bright Stream, cinema relay: Carrie Seidman, Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Review - Smuin Ballet, mixed bill, SF: Ann Murphy, Inside Bay Area

Review - Bloom! Dance Collective, City, NY: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

Review - Tulsa Ballet, Off the Floor: James D. Watts, Tulsa World

Preview - Introdans, NY: Rebecca Milzoff, New York Times

Preview - Ballet and boxing on the South Bank: Clifford Bishop, Evening Standard

Dieter Graefe and Onegin in Australia: Tim Douglas, The Australian

Dance students soar at Youth America Grand Prix: Laura Bleiberg, Los Angeles Times

Orlando Ballet's Blake Kessler wins Junior Grand Prix: Matthew J. Palm, Orlando Sentinel

Preview - Les Ballets Eloelle (successor to Les Ballets Grandiva), Sydney: Stephen Bevis, Sydney Morning Herald

Review - ENB2, My First Sleeping Beauty, York:

Katherine Wootton,
The Yorker

Catherine Finta,
York Press

Jeremy Hunt's secret is out: he loves to dance the lambada: The Guardian

Lynn Seymour fans, get there fast! There are some great views of the auditorium of the old ROH as well, I'd forgotten how much red paintwork there was. Thank you John.

You have to click the "Dance" tab at the top of "The Space" homepage, then play "The Reunion". It was filmed sometime between 1993 and 2003 and the venue appeared to me to be the pre-1999 ROH (unless my memory is playing tricks on me,,,).

"Artist film-maker, Jayne Parker’s collaboration with choreographer Ian Spink of Second Stride fame is an elegiac and deceptively simple film, shot in an empty theatre. Featuring Lynn Seymour, one of the greatest and most expressive ballerinas of the 60s and 70s, the film reunites her with Donald Macleary her ballet partner of 30 years earlier. Their careers went in separate directions and the narrative echoes the formative moment of their meeting and the subsequent long absence."

Not just you Alison - I cannot see beyond the black rectangle on AOL but IE is fine. It could be the blocking of popups that I have set on AOL that is getting in the way.

Funny, it's on IE that it's not fine for me (and I can't have pop-ups blocked, otherwise I'd never see my PMs when they come in). I can see another trip to the library is called for ...

Links – Wednesday May 2, 2012

Review - Bolshoi Ballet, The Bright Stream (cinema relay): Alastair Macaulay, New York Times

Review - Youth America Grand Prix gala (honouring Natalia Makarova), NY: Robert Johnson, The Star-Ledger

Review - Boston Ballet, Don Quixote: Marcia B. Siegel, Boston Phoenix

Review - San Francisco Ballet, Don Quixote: Sean Martinfield, Huffington Post

You might like SF Ballet's Don Quixote if… : SF Appeal

Review roundup - Scottish Ballet, A Streetcar Named Desire: The Week

First dance injury clinic for NHS (audio): BBC PM April 30 (about 52 minutes in)

Review - SMITH dancetheatre, Agnes and Walter, A Little Love Story, London: Misa Brzezicki, LondonDance

Review - Giuliana Majo, Red; Gabriele Reuter, Tourist, London: Jeffrey Gordon Baker, LondonDance

South Bank Sky Arts Awards - Arthur Pita’s Metamorphosis wins: Matthew Hemsley, The Stage

Film review - YAGP documentary, First Position: Christy Lemire, Boston Globe/AP

Secret World Of... CBBC series peels back curtain on fame: Tara Conlan, The Guardian

Preview - BoucharDanse, Histoire d’amour, Toronto: Michael Crabb, Toronto Star

Exhibition - Beauties of the Russian Stage: Beauty Without Photoshop, St Petersburg: Kristen Steagall, St Petersburg Times

Photo gallery - Pacific Northwest Ballet’s all-Wheeldon programme: Joshua Trujillo, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Ballet Chicago makes Harris debut, at last: Sid Smith, Chicago Tribune

Links – Thursday May 3, 2012

Review - New York City Ballet, Serenade, Kammermusik no. 2, Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet:

Alastair Macaulay,
New York Times

5 stars, Apollinaire Scherr,
Financial Times

Leigh Witchel,
New York Post

Mary Cargill,
DanceviewTimes

Review - Boston Ballet, Don Quixote: Alan Helms, DanceTabs

Review - San Francisco Ballet, Don Quixote:

Pamel Feinsilber,
San Francisco Examiner

Paul Parish,
Bay Area Reporter

Review - Australian Ballet, Onegin: Deborah Jones, The Australian

Review - Vienna State Ballet, Marie Antoinette: Patricia Boccadoro, CultureKiosque

Review - Trajal Harrell, Antigone Sr., NY: Deborah Jowitt, ArtsJournal

Review - Introdans, Heavenly, NY: Claudia La Rocco, New York Times

Film review - YAGP documentary, First Position:

Marilyn Jones,
Christian Science Monitor

Rex Reed,
New York Observer

Review - Baryshnikov’s star power can’t save In Paris: Georgia Rowe, San Francico Examiner

Preview - San Francisco International Arts Festival: Rita Felciano, San Francisco Bay Guardian

The National Institute of Dance Medicine & Science: Carmel Smith, LondonDance

Dance UK Conference: Nutrition & Disordered Eating In Dance: Josephine Leask, LondonDance

Pennsylvania Ballet’s Peter Pan, and Elgar: Peter Dovrin, Philadelphia Inquirer

Links – Friday May 4, 2012

Review - New York City Ballet, Serenade, Kammermusik No. 2, Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet: Marina Harss, DanceTabs

Preview - The Bolshoi Ballet’s, Jewels: Raymond Stults, Moscow Times

Review - Karole Armitage, Werk! The Armitage Gone Variety Show, NY: Gia Kourlas, New York Times

A tour of the Palais Garnier: Lennox Morrison, Wall Street Journal

Review - Kota Yamazaki, (glowing), NY: Martha Sherman, DanceviewTimes

Review - Staatsballett Berlin, Arcangelo, Herman Schmerman, Berlin: J.S. Marcus, Wall Street Journal

Christopher Stowell and Oregon Ballet Theatre: Allan Ulrich, San Francisco Chronicle

Review - Carrie Ahern, Borrowed Prey, NY: Deborah Jowitt, ArtsJournal

Preview - Dance Contemporanea de Cuba, Birmingham: Diane Parkes, Birmingham Post

Film review - YAGP documentary, First Position:

Manohla Dargis,
New York Times

Kenneth Turan,
Kansas City Star

Review - Involuntary, One Point 618, Adelaide: Alan Brissenden, The Australian

Hard-corps moms returning to ballet after pregnancy: Lewis Whittingham, Philadelphia City Paper

Doctor in audience saves dancer whose heart stops on stage: Heidi Evans, New York Daily News

Sydney Dance Company attendance doubles: Matthew Westwood, The Australian

Links – Saturday May 5, 2012

Review - New York City Ballet, Serenade, Kammermusik no. 2, Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet: Robert Johnson, The Star-Ledger

Review - The Royal Ballet, La Fille mal gardée: Louise Levene, Telegraph

Review - Smuin Ballet, mixed bill; San Francisco Ballet, Don Quixote: Carla Escoda, Huffington Post

Interview - Karole Armitage, punk ballerina and voguing pioneer: Nate Freeman, Blouin ArtInfo

Review - London Children’s Ballet, A Little Princess: Bruce Marriott, DanceTabs

Review - Ivy Baldwin Dance, Ambient Cowboy: Brian Seibert, New York Times

Benjamin Millepied and Nico Muhly discuss their latest collaboration: Roslyn Sulcas, New York Times

New York City Ballet's long-term future at SPAC in jeopardy: Paul Post, The Saratogian

Preview - City Ballet of San Diego, Romeo and Juliet: Janice Steinberg, San Diego Union-Tribune

Interview - Katie Green, choreographer: Carmel Smith, LondonDance

Glimpes - Sara Mearns: Tobi Tobias, ArtsJournal

Beatriz Stix-Brunell - one to watch: The Independent

A Tribute to Moscelyne Larkin and the Legacy of the Ballet Russe: Amy Zeittlow, Huffington Post

This week’s new dance (London), Breakin’ Convention, Ballet Preljocaj: Judith Mackrell, The Guardian