national youth ballet

passionforballet

Hi,

I have an 7 year old daughter who is applying for the RBS and Elmhurst junior associate programmes later this year. Unfortunately she is unable to apply to EYB this year as her birthday is in July. I was wondering if anyone has experience of the NYB audition process and standard. She is currently studying grade 2 in class and has just started some grade 3 work in a private lesson although she has not taken any formal ballet exams yet [they are in June]. She has taken tap and modern exams but we have recently moved schools and she has been moved up grades so has missed a round of exams. Her teacher is supportive of us applying for the associate programmes and the EYB next year but feels the NYB may be abit advanced at this stage. I am wondering whether to apply for the experience to build her confidence for future auditions but don't want to overwhelm her. Would welcome any comments.

I'm afraid I don't have personal experience of the NYB audition process, but given that you have a supportive teacher who is encouraging your DD to apply to associate programs, and that your DD is still very young, I would be guided by your teacher's advice on this. She presumably has good reasons for suggesting that NYB may not be suitable, and I would trust her experience and knowledge of your child. Whilst audition experience is good, you don't want to risk putting her off by putting her in a situation where she is out of her depth. Perhaps you could ask your teacher whether there are any other associate schemes or junior companies close to you that she could audition for.

I think you are probably wise to leave NYB for this year. It is not so much for the audition process as the summer school/rehearsal period. Your DD is too young to board so would have to go as a day student. It is 10 full and busy long days of classes/rehearsals and rehearsals inevitably also include some waiting around and then after a day or two rest straight into the actual performances. It would be very much like throwing her in at the deep end to see if she swims or sinks. EYB offer a gentler introduction to the world of performing as the rehearsals are spread out a bit more and of course the associate programs are a year round method of improving her overall technique. Good luck with her assoicate auditions.