Elmhurst Auditions

Lifeafterballet

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry but phone if this gives you piece of mind. If they insist that you produce a new set of photo's you can take them to the first audition.

Over the years I have had to take photos of my DS for summer schools, associate programmes, lower and upper schools. The only time you need to worry is if the audition is be 'invitation only' and then they will definitely be looking at the photo initially. All other times they use them just as a reference until after the first audition.

I remember in January when my DD did her first audition which was at Elmhurst.  We were invited in for the last ten minutes and they were constantly looking at the children's photos which were in folders.  They were passing around 4/5 five folders the rest were closed and in a pile, just an awful 10 minutes for DD and also for me.  

I'm auditioning for year 10 and also very nervous as I have been doing ballet for years but this year I've realised that I really do want to become a professional dancer. I have my elmhurst auditions on the 18th. I did the summer school and hope that I made a good impression. I'm feeling the pressure as I love elmhurst and the BRB. I also have royal auditions but I am a bit skeptical about getting in there.

Edited by DancerMiax

I'm auditioning for year 10 and also very nervous as I have been doing ballet for years but this year I've realised that I really do want to become a professional dancer. I have my elmhurst auditions on the 18th. I did the summer school and hope that I made a good impression. I'm feeling the pressure as I love elmhurst and the BRB. I also have royal auditions but I am a bit skeptical about getting in there.

Hell DancerMiax and welcome to the Forum.  Good luck with your auditions.

Oh gosh pas de chat that sounds horrible....plus starting to wish I'd sent in better photos!! I was told not to worry they are only for reference to help remember a childs face after auditions. Why would they be scrutinising them during the audition when the child is infront of them?? ????

Oh gosh pas de chat that sounds horrible....plus starting to wish I'd sent in better photos!! I was told not to worry they are only for reference to help remember a childs face after auditions. Why would they be scrutinising them during the audition when the child is infront of them??

There's usually several months' gap between the photos being taken and the audition, so maybe that's it? Possibly they have grown and developed in that time? Maybe the photos don't do them justice? Perhaps someone who looks great in the photos is having an 'off' day? How will we ever know?!!!

• Like 4

Good point taxi4ballet, I suppose there are a number of reasons, I just thought they wouldn't need the photos if the cool was infront of them but all you said makes sense really!!

Well, like everyone else I've got no idea what they are looking for - just hazarding a wild guess!

• Like 2

Gottokeepworking, I'm intreagued. Is the 'by invitation only' audition common practice? How does ones child find themselves in that situation?! Thanks.

By 'invitation only' is normally reserved for graduates/professional dancers auditioning for jobs.

Auditioning for schools is business for them. Providing you put in your application before the closing date then it is a case of you pay your audition fee, you get an audition. My son's ballet teacher gave him a good piece of advice - the audition starts the second you step through the door of the school.

The other time you must be careful about producing the correct photos is when applying for summer school because they do look at the photo's when deciding who gets a place because there isn't an audition.

• Like 3

They offer places to children they feel are suitable for dance training ! I don't believe there is a minimum to maximum and varies year on year ! My dd is in year 9 and will have to go through the appraisal process in February to determine her suitability to continue with her training ! They all sort of reaudition ! Good luck x

• Like 1

Very excited to have received the invitation email with times and information about the audition, but this has just proved my lack of ballet knowledge, it list things that are going to be looked at in the audition and what the class will consist of...barre work, flexibility exercises etc and at the end it says allegro, please could someone tell me what allegro means?? I have never heard it before?? Sorry if asking a silly question but I keep warning everyone I am a complete novice lol ????

Allegro is all the jumping exercises. It is split into petite allegro with jumps like sautes, (jumping with feet in first), changement (changing feet from third to third or fith depending on level) petit jetes, assembles etc. and grande allegro like grand jetes (leaps across the room). This is all part of a normal ballet class so your DC will be used to this.

Hope this helps,

DRSC

• Like 1

Lema, if you have access to Youtube, the Ballet Glossary series by the Royal Opera House may be useful. It features Royal Ballet Dancers demonstrating some of the most often used ballet steps and turns, including Petit Allegro and Grand Allegro. Very helpful if you want to increase your ballet vocab! :-)

• Like 3

Does anyone have a schedule through for Elmhurst upper auditions yet on 11th November? My original email said we would have info by half term at latest but we haven't received it? Just trying to sort out if we need to book for hotel overnight. Thank you x

Pas de chat/Pictures I asked for feedback on my DD when she wasn't succesful for year 7 having had very encouraging reports each year. They told me that they would look at her file and call me. What they had in there was her physio assessments, report from the associate ballet teacher and also her photos.

• Like 1