Elmhurst Auditions

Lifeafterballet

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we did! I sent the forms last week for Y7 entry and received an email on Monday or Tuesday with our audition date confirmed.

Edited to say that it is about Elmhurst auditions (as the title suggests).

Edited by Happymum

Has anyone heard yet their audition days for lower school? Sent ours off last week but haven't heard anything yet.

My dd has also had her date confirmed for lower school (we got an email within a few days) .. so maybe wait a couple more days and send them an email if you still haven't heard anything?

When dd did the summer school we stayed at the premier inn at Birmingham city centre, the one on the walkway into The Palasades right next to New Street Station.

Its then a shirt drive or there is a bus that goes to Elmhurst right outside New Street Station.

There are also hotels on Broad Street but it can get a bit rowdy there at times.

Hi Happymum,  from memory last year, my DD was auditioning for yr 7 entry and the RBS was at 9.30 in Birmingham (there were later sessions as well though) but we had first slot of the day. Obviously different centres around the country are auditioning so timings could vary from location to location.

Elmhurst was register at 10.30 for 11.00 start (the older children auditioned in the afternoon slot).

Tring was all afternoon - we arrived at 1.00 and I think were finished at 6.00pm.

Hammond was full day audition that started at 8.30 through till about 4.30pm

Tring and Hammond offered parents a look round and a meeting / chat before parents left site and then picked their children up later.

Hope this helps :)

Happymum, it can take an hour to cross Birmingham alone in rush hour. You may have other towns to pass too. Get a hotel IMO and spend your morning being pampered Premier Inn style over breakfast and getting ready rather than driving. Worth the money in the long term if this means a lot to dd. Much better to be calm and organised for dd.

Yes Piccolo, I agree with you but it is a straight motorway drive from us and Elmhurst school is on our way before we reach Birmingham City and of course we will leave much much earlier then needed. But then I just started to worry about it!

Thanks for info,any idea how long Elmhirst auditions ?

Thank you Dtadmin, so we might manage without a hotel for Elmhurst auditions! And yes, I echo Dr.f - how long may it take? Just the 1h30min class or longer?

Hi - they were both about 1hr 30mins.  At Elmhurst, parents had a talk in the small library / IT suite, then a tour of the site before joining the audition class to watch the last 5 mins of class, if I remember rightly.  The RBS audition was held at BRBs studios so parents tended to pop out for a cup of tea and a walk, although you can just sit in the holding room.

There's usually lovely PTA ladies who will have some goodies to look at :)

We live between 50 mins and 1hr 10 mins from Birmingham depending on the traffic and we drove for both the B'ham auditions (and the Tring one) but we drove up to Chester the night before the Hammond one.  I think I would see what time slot you get first and then decide - and of course a lot depends on how regularly to drive into B'ham and so are familiar with the little traffic pockets, etc....

All the audition experiences were slightly different in form but all great days - it's hard to believe that I was in your position this time last year!  I'm sure the lovely forum members will remember my sheer panic over which ballet shoes DD should wear!  So feel free to ask questions - I know how much I relied on everyone to help me :) x

Ok so there is a question about ballet shoes :-)

My DD has very narrow feet and all ballet shoes look buggy on her. Now I have discovered new capezio split sole canvas shoes which fit her perfectly! But! We have been told that it has to be single elastic for Auditions (definitely the RBS) and this shoes are crossed elastics and I need to re-do them. Didn't have a chance yet to ask why is that but can anybody else confirm it?

Hi, if you check out this thread from last year's auditions, you'll see my panic about shoes on page 5 LOL:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/4801-elmhurst-2014-entry-auditions/page-5

We went with the well fitting canvas split soles for all auditions in the end with the exception of RBS where we were advised against canvas split soles.

The only thing that I remember being sure of was definitely no ribbons because the children may need to take their shoes off.... 

Don't want to start any gossip or panic re: shoes. I've heard it from exRB dancer/teacher but it just might be her personal opinion. I'll let you all know why she says so but I won't see her for another 3 weeks ish.

Because nobody else have heard about it I'd think this is what she prefers simply.

But she is not against split sole and canvas for RBS auditions so don't know why you were advised against it Dtadmin.

I guess that at the end of the day simply no ribbons or full tights as they need to look at their feet but apart from that the shoes just need to fit well and be comfortable.

Well fitted satin shoes for lower school auditions

(single elastics as double elastics look like "bandages" on little feet-a teacher quote!)

Clean soft blocks or split sole canvas for upper school auditions

At the end of the day as long as the shoes are clean and well fitting it really doesn't matter what they wear as long as they are comfortable and happy dancing in them

• Like 1

My son wore split sole canvas double elastics for his auditions at the "big four".  I think any shoe that they can dance in well should be ok.  Better to be comfortable than get new shoes for the auditions that don't feel right.  Now he is at vocational school he is getting specially made shoes because his instep is huge and all shoes look baggy.  They are going to cut them very low, whatever that means, to try and stop the bagging...

Yes, I think this shows that the best idea is to wear the shoes that your DD feels happiest wearing.  Tring wear split sole for class, and as I said in yesterday's post DD wore her split sole canvas for all 3 other auditions - it seems to be the RBS one where rumours / opinions tend to flourish and I think there is a lot to be said for "teacher preference" as you mentioned.  When you throw that into the mix, you don't ultimately know who will be on the panel or what their personal preference is so all roads lead back to the "best fit and comfort" option :) 

It's one of those strange things where logic tells you that they won't reject an applicant based on the shoe worn....but you still can't help wanting to make sure there are no red flags that you could have avoided for them....

Good luck to everyone on the audition trail this year :) x

• Like 5