Sergei Polunin - news and discussions

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is the topic of the news about Sergei Polunin, with whom he dances, it should only be an additional information, I suppose; then if there is also a topic Polunin - Osipova, I guess it's normal that some information are repeated...

• 10 months later...

Two specimen lines from today's double page Polunin interview by Debra Craine in The Times:

* When asked about the state of [his] relationship [with Osipova] Polunin is vague and indecisive. "We are taking a break; we are probably not together now".

* Though in the next breath you discover that Osipova will be dancing with him in his Project Polunin at the Wells

• Like 1

Or alternatively:

"“I would love to do a show with the Royal,” he says. “And, yes, we are in communication.”"

Definitely more interesting for me! Well, the Royal must hurry or will risk being overshadowed by the Bayersiche Staatsballet! ???? ;P

I cannot wait to see Polunin dance Mayerling, those who saw him in Moscow speaks of it as something really exceptional as much as Marguerite and Armand with Tamara Rojo and watching the videos, it's easy to understand why!

Very interesting article. It reads to me of immaturity. He would have been paid han solely as a principal. What he seems to have been doing is immaturely rallying against the chains that bind them. Many others accept the almost necessity of everyone doing everything at work for you because the work is so encompassing and having your own personal life...Yes with flats/houses/dinner/family. He sounds like a little boy.

• Like 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/26/sergei-polunin-bad-boy-ballet-felt-tricked-jealous-royal-ballet/

After reading this article I am not so sure the Royal is in any hurry at all.

Well, too bad for them, for the people who come literally from all over the globe to see Polunin dancing change little or nothing; choose Münich or any other city instead of London, it's just a click on booking.com

The Telegraph article is odd. It's a rehash of his mindset shortly after leaving the RB. In other more recent articles in other sources he's given the impression he's moved on...Curious.

Not so odd, this kind of "article" is made specifically to arouse the usual low-level gossip that is so pleasing to the media. After all, this is much easier and profitable to work as serious journalists!

Leaving aside this nonsense, I am very curious and interested about the collaboration between Polunin and Vladimir Vasiliev for Project Polunin; I know that Polunin has always had a deep admiration for him and that Vasiliev has been one of his models during his training and I find it's always nice when the old generation meet the new, especially at such a high level!

• Like 1

the usual low-level gossip that is so pleasing to the media.

That's as maybe. I have now read yesterday's long Observer interview - which is the basis for the (accurate) Telegraph summary - and what Polunin says there squares exactly with what he privately told a mutual friend at the time of his RB departure. So I suspect the Observer has just printed what he said to the journalist. That is not gossip, that is the reporter doing their job.

What seems to have happened is that Sergei Polunin's own 'take' on how he was feeling and why he left the RB has changed over time. That is very understandable. The inconsistencies may possibly derive from the inability of the Press to 'move on' with him but, if he now sees things differently, I wish that someone had been there to advise him on how to couch his change of tack. He seems to have many people buzzing around him over this, that and the other but no real 'support'. 

Didn't one of the recent articles say something to the effect that his own take on things seems to vary from interview to interview, because he seems to just say whatever he's thinking at the time, so it makes it very difficult to get a clear view of anything?

Edit: but the Telegraph title "I felt 'tricked' by 'jealous' Royal Ballet" is shockingly misleading.  I guess that was the work of a subeditor somewhere.

• Like 3

I believe that Polunin left the RB five years ago and that he has now spent more time outside the RB than within it. IMO, it's regrettable that the same old stuff is still being raked over as it is very unproductive (and rather dull). Personally, I believe that Polunin should confine himself to talking about his recent projects and future plans rather than keep harking back to the fairly distant past.

• Like 11

Remember BBB that Polunin was a TV star in Russia even before the Take me to Church video. It's unarguable that his is one of the few ballet 'names' that will sell outside the usual audience and/or make people book for something they wouldn't otherwise see. No ballet dancer in this age is going to attract Kardashian level crowds but even a few hundred extra ticket sales is economically important for most theatres.

• Like 2

I passed him once walking down a London street. He gave me such a sweet smile. I have seen him dance at the ROH and he was extraordinary. He is clearly a gifted young man. A dancer's career is already short enough and I hope whatever he does will bring him happiness and peace of mind.

Less of the tiresome "bad boy" style reporting would also be good.

• Like 11

That's as maybe. I have now read yesterday's long Observer interview - which is the basis for the (accurate) Telegraph summary - and what Polunin says there squares exactly with what he privately told a mutual friend at the time of his RB departure. So I suspect the Observer has just printed what he said to the journalist. That is not gossip, that is the reporter doing their job.

No sign of this Observer piece online?

I passed him once walking down a London street. He gave me such a sweet smile. I have seen him dance at the ROH and he was extraordinary. He is clearly a gifted young man. A dancer's career is already short enough and I hope whatever he does will bring him happiness and peace of mind.

Less of the tiresome "bad boy" style reporting would also be good.

Totally agree with you!

The contexts change, but people always say almost the same thing, after having heard so much about this mythologycal bad boy, they are dumbfounded when instead faced with this guy so shy, polite and kind. Not only he doesn't reflect in any way the common image of a bad boy, but even of international star ...

For example, the first time I met him in person, there were two old ladies who, choosing a very unsuitable moment to tell the truth, wanted each other to click a photo with him, but were unable to use their digital camera. I have observed the scene from a distance, he lost five minutes to explain them how to do it, then another five minutes because the ladies had to find the right pose, then he had to explain them how to see the pictures and how to turn off the camera; in the end, he gallantly helped them to go down a step, listened their recommendations and also taken a pinch on the cheek from both the ladies ( ???? ), all with a smile and with a kindness and a patience that I probably wouldn't have even with my grandmother. From that moment all my previous impression were confirmed and I had no more doubts about the stupidity of the nickname "bad boy". Indeed the reactions of the elderly are the ones I find most interesting (and fun): often they arrive muttering against tattoos and his hot-head and after seeing him dance and met him at the stage door, they leave the theater talking about him like a beloved grandchild. I find it a perfect metaphor to describe Polunin

• Like 11

Maybe Geoff meant the Sunday Times interview? Otherwise, I suppose it's possible that the Observer doesn't put all of its content online.

Thanks Bluebird. I am trying hard, by squinting, to picture the copy of the review section of the Observer from last Sunday turning into the previous week's Sunday Times culture section, but no, it won't work, sorry. The Telegraph said it was quoting from the Observer, and so it was: see page 6 of the Observer review section, 26th February, interview with Polunin by Rachel Cooke, spread across two pages with what they call "portraits" by Suki Dhanda.

No idea when this article might appear online. There are sometimes reasons why a piece does not appear (eg copyright) or indeed it may have been briefly online but then removed, for whatever reason (stranger things have happened). Short of posting it to you, not sure what else to do to help.

Edited by Geoff