Forum inaccessible today (for some)

For a large part of today the site has been inaccessible to those of us who use BT Internet (and maybe other ISPs?). The situation is now resolved - hence this posting - and it's not clear to me what caused the problem and doubtless one will never find out. The trouble definitely seems to have been at the BT end, not to do with Invision who host the site.

• Like 1

Bruce:  A very useful link, thanks, and the mention of the problems having started between 4 and 5 am EST chimes nicely with the Forum being accessible yesterday circa 0830 Local here, as it was, but not soon thereafter.  And we may see repetitions ........

And we were not alone.  I was unable to access another IP-provided site running a largely identical package to the one we use here.

The BBC Radio 4 lunchtime News show has just run an item on the wider Internet problems earlier this week, pretty much confirming the link from Bruce, above, and your 'too big for its boots' remark, John.  And it also seems that we ought not to be surprised if there are further breaks in service until more kit is in place to carry the increasing load.

Bluebird:  That link does not appear to be working.  This is probably the same piece:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/14/internet-full-isp

Edit:  Just checked that link - not working for me - and it seems I can't get any other links to work from the Forum at the moment.  Something adrift somewhere.

Further edit:  This appears to be browser-related.  Nothing linking from Chrome, my usual one, but all OK using Firefox or Safari.  Links from Mail system into Chrome seem OK.  And the two Guardian pieces are not identical!