Picturesinthefirelight

Completely off topic but places to eat in London

57 minutes ago, alison said:

Does anyone have any actual experience of Wildwood (in Bow Street, or elsewhere)?

I had a bad service experience with them back in 2012 when I organised a group dinner during the long interval of Die Walkure.  They made us wait for ages because they somehow hadn't registered that I was the person they had on their system as having made a reservation, and then the food wasn't that good either.  However, the fact that they're still there more than 6 years later, with a plethora of decent restaurants in the area, suggests that maybe they've improved.

I ate there once 5 or 6 years ago and it was fine but haven't been since.  (I was on my own ... how often we hear about issues over service with groups (been there and got the T-shirt to prove it!!).

Oh, I don't know - Browns (the pasta place) managed to be there for years and years before that ... :)  

I'd argue that the competition in the immediate area is a lot better than it used to be!

Just like to put a plug in for the lovely italian we went to  L'ulivo.  It's between Embankment and Charing Cross tube stations.  Prices seemed pretty reasonable - pizzas and pasta  were £15-£18, quality (so fresh!) and quantity were both excellent.  Service was good too!  

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  I know the place you mean and have often walked past but never been in.  To be honest, though, it sounds really expensive to me compared with some of the other good Italians in the area.  For what it's worth, if I wanted pizza nearby I would most likely head for Franco Manca on Maiden Lane (I gather there is now another branch nearby on Aldwych); if it was pasta I was after I would go to my new favourite, Bancone behind the Coliseum (who in fact fed me handsomely between double Manon on Friday).

• Like 1

Bancone gets booked up weeks in advance, though they have room for walk-ins (especially if you're alone) and I've mostly gone in on this basis.  Expect counter/stool style seating, though.

On 17/01/2019 at 12:25, alison said:

Does anyone have any actual experience of Wildwood (in Bow Street, or elsewhere)?

Apparently if you work at the ROH you can get 20% off ...

Well two less places to eat in will now be both the Patisserie Valerie in Covent Garden....both the one in Bedford St and Longacre are to be among the 70 closures they have announce. Was only in the Bedford st one the other day 😢 Quite good for snacket type meals and the odd salad etc.

Interestingly I was looking to see if the one down near Palmeira Sq ....the Hove end of Brighton near my Pilates classes was closing....no mention of that but one in East St Brighton which I never knew existed!! 

I have to be honest abnd say that Patisserie Valerie has gone downhill in my opinion, I found the cakes rather tasteless in erecent times as compared to the absolutely scrumptious Cafe Concerto.  I'm just a bit sad that they have taken Druckers with them (who are more Midlands based)

Not both of them :(  - I'd assumed one would have remained open.  Now what am I going to do for ice creams (of the reasonably affordable variety)?

I really would like to throttle the selfish blighter who got them into this mess.

• Like 2