Well, I've seen it all now...

taxi4ballet

Maybe they have a bet going to see how long it would take for their presence  to be mentioned on this board.

Could be! Next time I see them I will raise my arm in a traffic signal style and see if they respond. Then thumbs up and a theatrical wink.

It's weird but not as funny as when I was once teaching a person to bay park, courtesy of the large car park belonging to a well known DIY store. It was quite early and as we sat there, a large group of people appeared, wearing the company uniform. They formed a circle and proceeded to give a rendition of the hokey cokey. This, presumably, was a team building exercise and some members of the team were giving it their all,perhaps with promotion in mind. Others less so.

My pupil and I found it much more interesting than bay parking. 

• Like 4

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered about Tai Chi, but thought that required a bit more movement, not that I know anything about it. It is certainly slow motion, only one of them moves an arm up and down, like an old fashioned traffic signal. They are always facing north if that is significant? Or they could just be facing the town hall which is in that direction. They are not wearing hi-viz jackets over their tracksuits!

Or maybe it's Zen meditation, which I don't think involves movement?!

They're not statues are they?

No, they were definitely living. But now they are gone. I wondered if perhaps they had completed the mission and returned to their own planet. But the rather more prosaic explanation is that they were told to move on, because somebody complained they were creeping out the kids in the nearby play area. I never did find out what they were doing or get to do my secret signal.

As for statues, our town is being treated to weeks of traffic disruption, courtesy of the council (again!) and some local businesses, which have decided the main entry into the town, via a roundabout which caters to some very busy roads, is just not attractive. What it needs apparently, is a sculpture costing £300.000. This will be in the shape of a giant wheel, to commemorate the town's industrial 'heritage'. Various lanes have been closed to traffic, to facilitate the construction and the traffic lights switched off. The resulting queues are unbelievable at certain times, although I have to say getting about is easier without the lights as people are forced to think for themselves. Of course there are always those who can't do this and there have been a number of accidents.  

I am all for heritage and acknowledging past achievement, but this town has so many social and infrastructural problems, a disastrously congested road system thanks to all the tinkering over the years and an obsession with traffic lights. There is very little real work here or investment, just a clinging to the past rather than any forward thinking. Still, we will have a sculpture of a wheel to look at in the autumn. On a busy roundabout too, just the place for a major distraction to drivers. 

• Like 3

I could sculpt a wheel for that kind of money.

Whoever it was who originally invented the wheel must be turning over in his/her grave in vexation.

I could have sculpted a square one for half the price!

Nobody seems to know what kind of wheel it will be, except for those who have commissioned it I suppose. There doesn't seem to be any particular relevance, unless it is going to be something to do with mining. But old wheels of that sort are quite common round here.

Meadowhall Shopping Center in Sheffield has some very impressive giant sized statues of men at work in the foundries. 

As this town apparently once made a bit of the channel tunnel and has some history of manufacturing, something along those lines would be more interesting than a wheel.If they wanted something truly representative, they should have gone for an enormously fat person wearing a tracksuit, with a fag in one hand and a pasty from a well known outlet in the other.

Anyway, no doubt it will be fabulous and our local council publication will be full of the usual self congratulatory photos and articles. This can be found in the fiction department of the library.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The park dwellers are back! Apparently they were told they could return if they come out from amidst the greenery and stay in clear view. They are now on show next to the cricket pavilion and in full flow. There is a lot more action and although I know one shouldn't laugh, it is very entertaining. It does appear to be T'ai Chi now they have got going. They are just not very good at the balance aspect. 

I don't know if anyone remembers the scene from The Big Lebowski, when the dude goes to see his landlord's one man show, but the movement is very similar. Mercifully they are not wearing white unitards and fig leaves.

Just my opinion, but I do think there is a certain element of exhibitionism in public exercising and as such, the person should be in possession of at least a degree of proficiency if they want to avoid the wrong kind of attention.

• Like 4

I was visiting my student son and we had a meal together after the theatre. When we came out on a bitterly freezing cold November night wrapped up with thick coats, scarves, gloves and hats, we saw a group of hen party girls. They were all wearing the skimpiest of strappy mini dresses, mile high winklepicker shoes and silly hats on their heads. I know that love is supposed to keep you warm, although I wreckon it was booze in this case, but I came out in goosebumps just looking at all that naked blue flesh!

• Like 2

This morning I was driving to work and following a large farm tractor. I had a bit of a double-take at the speedometer though.. he was pushing 40 miles an hour :o

I had to have a good check around to see if there was a black Range Rover nearby with a film crew hanging out of the back, or Clarkson, May or Hammond driving, but no - it must just have been a local farmer hungry for his breakfast!

• Like 1