Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  :(

From Facebook:

We have just heard that ENB's Nancy Osbaldeston is leaving the company to join Royal Ballet Flanders. We will be sad to see her go, but wish her success with her new company. Nancy was our Dancer of the Month in February 2013.

Nancy Osbaldston, for those unfamiliar with her, won ENB's Emerging Dancer award in 2013 and is properly amazing. 

Of course, I wish her all the best at her new company. May her career go from strength to strength. :)

As a matter of interest, has anyone come across an official announcement about this - from either Company, for example?  Or saying in what grade she will be employed over in Antwerp?  I haven't spotted one thus far, but perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places.  (I recall something in one of Ms Carreiro's Tweets prior to announcing the 2014-15 Season that there would also be news that day on new dancers, promotions etc, but I've seen nothing on these issues thus far.)

I had a look too, because I'm generally suspicious of things without an official source (although I do trust Dancing Times), but couldn't find anything either. If anyone finds an official announcement, please do post it on here.

'Course, in an ideal world, the story is wrong and she's been recruited as a principal at Birmingham Royal Ballet who have simultaneously announced their rebranding as Bristol Royal Ballet and relocation to the Hippodrome ten minutes walk from my front door. A fella can dream, right? ;)

• Like 8

I saw a Tweet which mentioned her joining as a 'half soloist.' I'm not familiar with the Royal Ballet Flanders ranks so unsure really what that is. Unfortunately I've completely forgotten who tweeted said tweet.

It must be 'official' though as Nancy herself has now responded to one of Luke Jennings' tweets on the subject. But, I await to see a proper 'announcement.'

• Like 1

I'm very sorry to see Nancy leave as I always enjoy her dancing and she has a very attractive stage persona. She will be a big loss to ENB but I think that she will have an exciting repertoire at RBF to get her teeth into. I assume that half-soloist (demi-soloist?) is equivalent to junior soloist position at ENB. All the best to her.

Edited by aileen

'Course, in an ideal world, the story is wrong and she's been recruited as a principal at Birmingham Royal Ballet who have simultaneously announced their rebranding as Bristol Royal Ballet and relocation to the Hippodrome ten minutes walk from my front door. A fella can dream, right? ;)

Ah, BBB, if only the world were ideal :)  But no, this confirms what I'd heard.  I suspect ENB won't confirm until the end of the season, with any other leavers/joiners.

• Like 1

On the RBF Company's English-language site, the dancers are listed as:  Principals, First Soloists, Soloists, Demi-Soloists, Corps and Interns.  The dancers for the performance of Slava Samodurov's R&J that I saw in Antwerp in March came almost exclusively from the junior ranks and was extremely impressive:

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6053-royal-ballet-of-flanders-romeo-juliet-samodurov/?p=82355 

She will be in very good company.

• Like 1

If anyone's interested, looks like Nancy will be dancing in ENB's Choregraphics show at the Barbican this week.

We had our first rehearsal in the big studio today #ENBchoreographics with my amazing dancers @nancypoop & @guimenezes15

For only £15, might be a 'potentially-nearly-last-chance-to-see' no-brainer for us fans. :)

• Like 3

Just so everyone knows .... Here is the choreography / casting for the ENB Choreographics ... Some wonderful talent therein .... I was surprised this was not listed separately in and amongst/alongside other press releases.  (Then again - and most like - I may have missed it.)  Tickets are selling very well.  Friday night is sold out and there are only three tickets left for Thursday's opening.  In any case .... FYI .... 

Repertoire and Creative 

Choreographer- James Streeter 
Dancers - Erina Takahashi, James Forbat, Nathan Young 
Composer - Christopher Hamilton (orchestrated by James Simpson) 

Choreographer- Stina Quagebeur 
Dancers - Nancy Osbaldeston, Guilherme Menezes 
Composer - Ivor Gurney 

Choreographer- Makoto Nakamura 
Dancers - Juan Rodriguez, Zdenek Konvalina, Joshua McSherry-Gray, Ksenia 
Ovsyanick 
Composer - David Hewson 

Choreographer- Fabian Reimair 
Dancers - Adela Ramírez, Angela Wood, Janette Kakareka , Laurent Liotardo, 
Francisco Bosch 
Composer – Stephan Hodel 

Musicians - English National Ballet Chamber Ensemble, directed by Gavin 
Sutherland and recorded by Yohei Sasaki 
Edited by Meunier
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably a good time in Nancy's career to move and she's moving to a more senior position. I just want to place on record that nobody was more enchanting as the Songbird Fairy than Nancy (and I have seen quite a few the last couple of years) and that she was pitch perfect as the Doll in Petrushka. One question though: in there any significance in the statement that the new dancers have been appointed for the 2014/2015 season? This rather suggests that the dancers are appointed for a year at a time.

A group from RBF will be at Sadler's Wells at the end of October, contributing to a 3-day programme built on the compositions of Thomas Adès.  They will be dancing a Wayne McGregor work, Outlier, but I imagine that it's far too soon to know whether Ms Osbaldeston will be amongst the group chosen.  Indeed, I'd not be surprised if no decisions are made till he (or one of his assistants) goes to Antwerp to start rehearsals, whenever that may be:

http://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2014/Armitage-McGregor-Pite-Whitley-Thomas-Ades/

• Like 1

A group from RBF will be at Sadler's Wells at the end of October, contributing to a 3-day programme built on the compositions of Thomas Adès.  They will be dancing a Wayne McGregor work, Outlier, but I imagine that it's far too soon to know whether Ms Osbaldeston will be amongst the group chosen.  Indeed, I'd not be surprised if no decisions are made till he (or one of his assistants) goes to Antwerp to start rehearsals, whenever that may be:

http://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2014/Armitage-McGregor-Pite-Whitley-Thomas-Ades/

Thanks very much for the heads up, Ian. I'll keep a close eye on that. :) Do report back, Ian (or anyone), if and when the casting crops up!

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’m in Munich with work and have a meeting with the Munich Ballet this morning. It seems that Nancy is also guesting here...

https://www.staatsoper.de/en/staatsballett/ensemble.html#c6061

Yes, she has danced this season in Rubies with Osiel Gouneo (I was there for their first performance)  and Marie in the Nutcracker.