What is acceptable?

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

Can someone explain to me why it is not acceptable to mention physique and to say that professiona classical dancers nowadays (generally speaking) have to be thin whereas it does seem to be acceptable to give the bra size of (obviously tiny) individual children? And surely talking about the limitations of dancers with SEN is no different to talking about physical limitations - both could be equally damaging if you are inclined to look at it this way.

Guest Autumn days

This was actually a serious question. I don't u derstand why some comments are reprimanded and others are allowed to pass. For example, since posting this someone has made a reference to 'arrogant, self centred dancing kids' and another thread has started where people are invited to list which physical attributes they have that are suitable for ballet. In my view, a young dancer may be just as upset that her legs aren't short enough or her neck not long enough than she is about not being thin enough.

I don't mind any of these posts, by the way. In fact, I am all for them as they show that we live in a real world - as do our teenage dancers.

I don't mind any of these posts, by the way. In fact, I am all for them as they show that we live in a real world - as do our teenage dancers.

That's all right then!

Defining what's acceptable is tricky but I think our guidelines are reasonably clear about what's allowable here. We do rely on people using common sense and respecting others.

The 'arrogant, self centred dancing kids' comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Had it been, it would have been removed. If members are unhappy about any posting they can always hit the 'Report' button and Moderators will think carefully about it.

Hope that's a bit helpful.

• Like 2

Guest Autumn days

Thank you for the reply. I still don't really understand why all the other general comments aare seen to be OK but my general comments about being thin were not. I do think that dancers need to be thick skinned and that there is no point in protectin them from the realities of the life they are choosing. Only my view, of course and speaking as the mum of a child who has not been able to live her dream but has moved on happily because she knows that who have to fit the mould.

Hello, muminaspin,

We moderate each thread and comment to varying degrees. If a comment clearly breaches the Acceptable Use Policy, then it will be hidden or removed, and the poster contacted.

Much of the time it's not that clear cut, so we do our best to steer the thread back on track, or gently remind people that they could be sailing close to the wind.

In terms of parents publishing details about their own children - e.g. bust sizes - that is their prerogative and does not contravene AUP. It might not be something you or I would do but it's not something the Moderators can or do Police.

You may have seen us issue a gentle reminder to our younger members that the forum is public, but the final decision on what they post is theirs (providing it complies with AUP, of course). As we do have a number of teenage posters, we do try to discourage the use of terms like "thin" or "fat" when other terms could be used.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

• Like 3

Muminaspin, I understand the point that you are making and commenting on desirable physique for ballet is obviously a grey area. I think that discussions about weight and any aspect of a person's body that could be changed by weight loss are highly sensitive in view of the prevalence of eating disorders among girls and young women generally and the focus on body shape for ballet specifically. It's disappointing for ballet students who cannot pursue their dream for any reason relating to their physique (and there are many - my husband's much younger cousin was told that her ankles were the wrong shape) but weight is something that an aspiring dancer can change (possibly to his/her detriment) unlike height, length of neck, size of head, bone structure, arches, shape of ankles etc.

• Like 2